Stellaris

Rime

<Donor>
I actually don't mind the "bug" that the Scourge-invaded planets become unusable if you let them win a ground invasion. It makes sense for a late-game crisis event.

My beef is that in the unlikely event that you actually kill the last Queen you get hit with a MASSIVE "Genocide" diplomat hit!! It's kinda bullshit and that SHOULD definitely be treated as a bug.

After spending almost fifty years fighting off the Scourge (and losing like 4 vassals to them), I finally wiped them out but I look over to the diplomacy screen and everyone is all RED to me. Sure enough I have a huge Genocide diplomacy hit for wiping out the Zerg! (even though I had to station a small squadron at each of their planets to keep them from spawning new stations and ships).

After a few years my allies abandoned me, joined up with my rivals and I had to walk away from yet ANOTHER almost-won game.
It may have been fixed since the post I made about it, but what I was talking about was that the event was entirely broken. You could not reclaim the planets that the scourge took at all. You could bombard them for years and the planet would always remain infected. A mod fixed it and eventually (if they have not done it already), Para fixed it. What is supposed to happen is that you bombard the planet, then a few vessels with Scourge on them evac, and the planet becomes barren.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
You don't, afaik. They'll get there. They have that kind of thing in many of their other games.

Naselus is planning to do a total overhaul mod called Relativity. He's laying out what his plans are, and has already released the early stages of it, but it's got a lot of jagged edges atm. His work on Victoria II, Pop Demand Mod, was the best way to play that game, so I'd keep an eye onhis thread. He also did some stuff for Galactic Civilizations III, and it helped, but my issues with that game are too substantial for me to continue playing it regularly. He is going to focus on really large maps that take a beefy machine, so that might not be for everyone.

Apostolos

Golden Knight of the Realm
Uhh this is completely false.
Ya.. it had been a bit since I played. I had to go back and check and I was wrong. It only shows the population effect when choosing a new research option..not while it is being researched which is what made me think that since I had just created my first one. (that kinda sucks)

Zyke

Silver Knight of the Realm
You guys all see the dev blog from Monday? It's an outline for the first three patches they're planning (aside from minor bug fix patches) and it covers almost all of the major complaints/suggestions I've seen and have myself. Looks highly encouraging to me and I can't wait.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...voyage.932668/

Hi everyone!

Well folks, here we are again, one week later. The development team has mostly weathered the release jitters and nerves are starting to calm down. The ship we worked so hard on for the last three years has been successfully launched and is currently on its maiden voyage. The crew seems mostly happy but some of the inspectors have raised concerns about mid-ship structural issues. As chief architect, I am not entirely surprised, but the reports will allow us to commence upgrades as soon as HMS Stellaris returns from its round-trip to Alpha Centauri. Alright, enough with the metaphor, let's talk about our future plans for Stellaris!

First off, for those of you who are unfamiliar with our post-release policies, we will release a lot of expansions over the coming years. Each expansion will be accompanied by a major update (for Stellaris, these free updates will be named after famous science fiction authors) containing a whole bunch of completely free upgrades and improvements to the game in addition to regular bug fixes. As long as enough players keep buying paid content for the game, we promise to keep improving the game for everyone, almost like an MMO.

Now, before we begin the expansion cycle in earnest, we will spend the rest of May and June only focusing on bug fixes and free upgrades to the game. We carefully listen to all your feedback, which has already made us alter our priorities a bit. As a veteran designer of our complex historical games, I was anticipating a fair amount of criticism regarding the mid-game in Stellaris compared to that of our historical games, but I was more concerned with the depth of the economy than the relative lack of diplomatic options, for example. I also find much of the feedback on the Sector system interesting; the GUI and AI concerns will receive the highest priority. One area I was not at all surprised to get flak for is the lack of mid-game scripted content, however. We simply took too long getting all the early and late game stuff in, and neglected a whole category of events called "colony events", which were supposed to be the bread and butter of the mid-game for the Science Ships.

We've been digesting and discussing your feedback and how to best go about improving the mid-game to make it more dynamic, both in the short and long run. Let's start with our short term plans. When the game was released, we had already proceeded to fix a lot of issues. Together with some other pressing issues that have been reported, the plan is to release the 1.1 update - "Clarke" - near the end of May. We will try to cram as much as we can into this update, but the more fundamental stuff will have to wait until the next update ("Asimov"), which is scheduled for the end of June. The "Clarke" patch will mainly be a bug fix and GUI improvement update. Here are some of the highlights:

"CLARKE" HIGHLIGHTS

Fixes to the Ethic Divergence and Convergence issues. Currently, Pops tend to get more and more neutral (they lose Ethics, but rarely gain new ones.)
The End of Combat Summary. This screen looks bad and also doesn't tell you what you need to know in order to revise your ship designs, etc.
Sector Management GUI: There are many issues with this, and we will try to get most of them fixed.
Diplomacy GUI issues. This includes the Diplomatic Pop-Ups when other empires contact you, but also more and better looking Notifications, and more informative tooltips on wars, etc.
AI improvements: Notably the Sector AI, but also plenty of other things. This kind of work is never "finished"...
Myriads of bug fixes and smaller GUI improvements.
Late game crises bugs. There were some nasty bugs in there, blocking certain subplots and various surprising developments.
EDIT: Remaining Performance Issues. We know about them; they might even be hotfixed before Clarke.
EDIT: Corvettes are too good.

Stellaris_new_Diplo_Notification_Mockup.png
New Diplomatic Notification. This is a mock-up, not an actual screenshot!

Stellaris_End_of_Combat_Mockup.png
New Fleet Combat Summary. This is a mock-up, not an actual screenshot!

After that, we're moving on to the "Asimov" update, and this is when we can start making some major gameplay improvements to especially the mid-game. As you might have guessed, we plan to add some new diplomatic actions and treaties. Another thing that struck me during our discussions is that the normal lack of access to the space of other empires makes the game feel more constricted than intended. It limits your options since you can't really interact much with the galaxy beyond the borders of your empire, and you only tend to concern yourself with your direct neighbors. This is bad for your Science Ships too, of course, since they might not be able to finish some of the grander "quests". Compare the situation with Europa Universalis, where you usually have access to the oceans and can thus reach most of the world, or Crusader Kings, where you can even move through neutral territory with your armies. We also intend to add as much mid-game scripted content as we can. Thus, this is currently the plan for "Asimov", but it's not set in stone yet, so please bear with us if something gets pushed or altered:

"ASIMOV" HIGHLIGHTS (NOT SET IN STONE!)

Border Access Revision: Borders are now open to your ships by default, although empires can choose to Close their borders for another empire (lowering your relations, of course.)
Tributaries: New diplomatic status and corresponding war goals.
Joint Declarations of War: You can ask other empires to join you for a temporary alliance in a war against a specific target.
Defensive Pacts.
Harder to form and maintain proper Alliances.
More war goals: Humiliate, Open Borders, Make Tributary, etc.
Emancipation Faction. We had to cut this one at the last minute. Needs redesign.
Diplomatic Map Mode. Much requested!
Diplomatic Incidents: This is a whole class of new scripted events that causes more interaction with the other empires.

Past "Asimov", I can't give you any kind of specifics yet, but I am currently leaning towards honing in on the following general areas for the "Heinlein" update (these are not promises!):

CURRENT "HEINLEIN" INTENTIONS

Sector and Faction Politics: We are working on a design for this. I always wanted to make Factions more closely tied to Sectors, for example...
Federation and Alliance Politics: As a player, you need more ways of interacting with the other members, push your will through, and get elected, etc.
Giving Directions to Allies and Subject States.
Strategic Resource Overhaul: You should need these and search for them far and wide. They should be extremely important.
Battleship Class Weapons. Some Battleship front sections will be repurposed for an XL size weapon slot. There are currently four ship sizes but only three sizes to weapons, creating an imbalance. Also, Battleships should have fewer small weapon slots and have to rely on screens of smaller ships.
Fleet Combat Mechanics: Formations and/or more complex ship behavior is needed.
Mid-game scripted content: Guarded "treasures", mid-game crises, colony events, etc.
Living Solar Systems: Little civilian ships moving around, etc.

Again, remember that we need to be somewhat flexible when things don't work out or when something else takes priority, so please take these later plans with a large grain of salt. As always, we also listen keenly to your feedback, so keep it coming!

Now, I am sure you are full of questions about the details, but hold your horses; it will all be explained in the coming dev diaries!

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I'd be happy if my Leaders stayed, put, instead of randomly reassigning themselves to the pool. I have to check my Research on a regular basis to make sure there's a leader there. Happens with all my leaders everywhere - Science Ships, Army, Governor, etc.

Overall really enjoying it, and learning more and more from each playthrough.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Leaders dont randomly reassign themselves, they get reassigned by something. If your a democracy, one will get elected every 5 years for example.

iannis

Musty Nester
Yeah, I just wish there was a popup about it.

There is a popup when one died. The game made me laugh pretty hard last night. I had an ancient commander on my science ship. So I get a popup that he leveled up and gained the "substance abuser" trait. I opened up the leader screen to go look at what that trait is exactly, but it's kinda buggy and those added traits don't appear in the UI until the month turns. So I unpause and figgure I'll look at the new month... and the motherfucker died 2 days later.

CRACK KILLS, COMMANDER DIPSHIT.

Zajeer

Molten Core Raider
Are Federations any good? I formed up an alliance with 3 other AI and they finally brought up the vote to join a Federation. Now 2 of the AI civs were superior in tech, and equal in military (by the diplo screen) so I figured why not since I hadn't tried it. First thing one of the AI did is bring us all into a war with his neighbor - his only demands were to liberate some planets. Anyway, after that I look and I'm not going to be Federation leader next, so I have to wait like 20 years before I can lead.

The only thing it seems like Federations are good for is to save on influence because they don't cost any unlike alliances. Plus the no voting for war thing. However, not sure I like being tied with these other AI teams long term - my goal is to back-stab each AI eventually. So the question is, should I stick it out until I'm Federation leader?

Agraza

Registered Hutt
The Federation leader can build "Federation" ships using the tech of each member combined, but the fleet created by this method swaps possession to whomever gains the lead of the Federation. It's pretty cool, but the AI doesn't use it. I'd say right now the AI is too bad to really work with long-term. Use them to expand yourself, and leave the Federation when you feel strong enough to take them. The Federation doesn't really help you with that unless you value the influence gain difference that much.

Apostolos

Golden Knight of the Realm
I had one where a science vessel was researching a special project in a system with one of my colonies. Colony leader leveled up at the same time the science vessel captain did and they both got the substance abuser trait at the same time. They must have been having a party. (that one kinda made me laugh)

Agraza

Registered Hutt
I'm involved in a war with a 3 part alliance against myself and my ally. They're stronger, but as soon as I started playing offense rather than defense they stopped working together. They are 5+4+2k armies, and could decimate my 6+3k combination (4+1k at the beginning of the war), but they only act in concert on the offensive. If I jump to enemy 1's space and start wrecking his shit, he comes home to deal with it, alone. Meanwhile my ally stays with me unless we blockade a planet, and then he may get distracted by the blockade effort and siege the planet's defenses to 0 before re-joining me. This behavior has been pretty regular and repeatable.

So I took out enemy 2 and 3's stacks with our combined might, and have been running around wrecking the economy of enemy 1 so I can get up to an 8k fleet while he can't grow beyond 5k, but it's not very satisfying. It's very whack-a-mole, run and gun. We're always moving hard and fast to keep them off balance, but I'm not seeing a substantial change. I feel like the war is basically just costing all of us in tech while our neighbors develop.

Meanwhile I've been innovating on my station designs and am laying out some pretty significant defensive stations. I prefer playing D to O, but I can't D against 3:1 odds and the AI can't handle my O, so this is just an un-fun situation for me.

DrLifetilt_sl

shitlord
Charming game, but unfinished. Has severe issues, wouldn't recommend to anyone picking this up *now*, maybe in 6+ months. Won a 30hrs+ Domination game and was greeted with the most underwhelming winning screen ever.

The major issues, quickly:

1) Game starts to chug the longer you play and slows down to a crawl. Clearly unoptimized.
2) AI is horrendous and won't give you any trouble.
3) Build a million corvettes and win. Not much need for a combined types fleet approach.
4) Sectors are a needed feature but they are badly implemented.
5) Diplomacy is almost meaningless and, since the AI is so bad, you don't need to use it much. All i did basically was Declare War through it.
6) Wars have strange rules that extend a very slow game even more. I didn't like the Warscore and 10 years truce after a war features. I was unnecessarily forced to wage wars multiple times against the same opponent.
7) Interface is a massive PITA. Lack of rally points and auto-survey/build is inexcusable. This isn't 1995.

A couple of positives:

1) I liked the music.
2) Also the little side stories and events. Those are of minor importance, but they are well written and add to the ambience and charm of the game.

Much older games like Galactic Civilizations II (cutthroat AI, great interface) or even Master of Orion II are still superior to this. I'd give it a 7/10 currently, hoping they will fix the issues in the future.

Grez

Trakanon Raider
6) Wars have strange rules that extend a very slow game even more. I didn't like the Warscore and 10 years truce after a war features. I was unnecessarily forced to wage wars multiple times against the same opponent.
Agreed. IMO an accumulating war score should only be used to negotiate conditions of a peace; Civ 5 community balance mod does this well.

Sulrn

Deuces
Reading the thread and watching Let's Plays, I feel like I dodged a bullet with Stellaris and that makes me sad. Game seems like it has potential with updates/DLC, but it seems like a sandbox without any borders keeping the sand in that the neighbors cat left some "black holes" in.

Meanwhile, I'll keep playing with my HoI4 media alone in my corner. :'(

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
I mean, I got it for $30 and have 6 hours in it from the 2 times I have had time to click "play" and I really really want to play more of it. I guess that is a bullet in a way :p

It is true that it is only going to get better though from the looks of things. I have no ragrats!

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Game is awesome hands down. I just allied with bird people and some monkey race and we declared war on our neighbor octopus dude race and it has been a blast. The AI isnt great but it isnt terrible, the Hazar race has repatedly killed my military intillations the minute their vulnerable and do a good job evading attacks and being annoying.

iannis

Musty Nester
Yeah, no ragrats. The game feels like what MoO3 was trying to be and wanted to be. I actually enjoyed the shit out of MoO3 -- which is kinda something seeing how the game was too unfinished and buggy to play. The scope and ambience and style and promise of that game carried it. The game itself was basically unplayable.

But Paradox will actually flesh it out. So like 20 years later I get a finished version of MoO3. I'm ok with that.