***STEP BY STEP to connect to the Al'Kabor server***

Aleatha

Silver Knight of the Realm
This is the biggest problem with the server, to get the damn thing installed is a nightmare.

PoP is the best expansion period and people would play it if it wasn't such a pain in the ass. Nobody wants to play single player EQ and the process repeats itself.
It doesn't get much easier than download and open the game for an install. This is actually more simple than setting up for p99. I was having issues finding the client till Abacab helped me out (prior to this thread). As mentioned most of the population will be because of his help getting a working client out to the masses. Also the population is non-existant because beta doesn't start till the first. Now if I could just decide what duo I want to box.

Hathe

Silver Knight of the Realm
seed pls. Tried the google drive download and it crashed near the end of the download.

axeman_sl

shitlord
Is this the godawful PC mac-client hack that the original Al'Kabor server had? It was riddled with bugs and glitches and ran like ass if you tried open more than one client.

Friday

Lord Nagafen Raider
I thought about playing here then I thought about me having to box more than 1 character.

Fuq that.

GrizzlyCL

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm using the PC hack and I've been able to two-box on two monitors pretty easily. I've only had one crash to character select on death and no other issues. I suggest, If you have a configurable mouse, change the scroll button to ctrl+alt+s (or change hotkey in eqw.ini file) which is the default EQW window swap key. You get rid of the alt-tab issues with this method.

Also, its pretty much impossible to move the game window around once the character is in the world so I had to edit the position of the screen in the EQW.ini file. Is there another way to do this?

GrizzlyCL

Lord Nagafen Raider
The mouse release option did not work for me. I can't move the window at all once the character is in the world. I can attempt to move the window while the game transitions from server select to character select.

Furst_sl

shitlord
oh i switched mine to "\" because it wasnt working for me either. When I changed it to one button it started working

Abacab

Golden Knight of the Realm
If you download Dev-C++ and compile the following code and run it as an .exe, you can swap between five windows with the numpad; it switches screens and activates it so you no longer get the issue with alt tabing out or having to click once the window switches:

[C++] eqswitch - Pastebin.com

Sketched_sl

shitlord
It is honestly not too bad on the PC client to run 3 boxes, the max allowed for now. Back on the actual Al'kabor server I found the client to be more of an issue. But now it seems a lot more solid. I think Secrets made some changes. I don't have any performance issues with 6gb of ram and an SSD with an i7. Every once in awhile you get a disconnect, or a random crash, but meh that imo is the price that I have to pay to access a classic client restoration and preservation project run by volunteers devs. Everyone does the best they can, with what they have. Sometimes something in the client can't be changed and we are unfortunately stuck with it for now.

As for boxing I use Hotkeynet personally (script is stupid simple if you want it, send me a pm on the Al'kabor boards) and find window switching smooth 98+% of the time. No delay. It is quick and smooth. I also have everything tweaked like people suggest above. To grizzly up above, it is a pain in the ass to move the windows around using the mouse on PC client, no idea why. I arranged them once, clicking on their title bar and slowly dragging them into position. EQW defaults something like CTRL-ALT-R to unlock the mouse, though it can still be a challenge. It may be easier to do it with the client ini as you suggested. Yeah the EQW default is a huge pain in the ass, ALT or whatever it was gets bound up, sticks, and messes everything up. Switch it to / if you're 2boxing, or pickup a hotkey program like HKN, or AHK, or follow Abacabs suggestion there.

Yeah server numbers have been low, but its alpha, all the chars are getting deleted. No one, other then the hardcore, the bug hunters, and the curious want to spend significant time there right now. I did 3 chars to 50, it was cool since I had never done that on a classic server. I get if that is a little old for people who have done it before. We have killed Naggy a couple times and server code with that many people is improving a lot! The real test comes after January 1st 2015, when classic goes live and no more char wipes. The start of the server! It should be a good journey to PoP, maybe slow, but I have confidence the devs will do what they need to do. Cavedude, Secrets, Robregen and others are all working away. CD, RR, and of course Secrets have been involved in EQemu for many years and have done great work on many successful servers. Hopefully people find some charm in this old,clunky version of EQ. No titanium client here! I am hoping for people who are patient with the releases of expansions, want a good community, and enjoy the post velious game, since Luclin and PoP (greatest expansion for many) will be there. All classes/races (no playable frogloks thanks god) from that time period are available at the start, which means PoK is in, as are all the books. Makes travel a little easier for those who are interested in that. If you have any questions or want some plat/items let me know and I may be able to hook you up before new years. I am super busy so I may just give you my account pw temp. Or ask in /ooc, gms/devs I think can give you some plat if necessary.

GrizzlyCL

Lord Nagafen Raider
PoK isn't quite in from the beginning but probably within the first few months. According to the project site, "On release it will be original classic content, Cabilis (E and W), Shar Vahl, FoB, Shadeweavers, PoKnowledge. Fearplane and Airplane are considered part of the progression and will not be available until Naggy, Vox and Phinny are killed by 70% of the active population. "

I'm not sure if progression is going to start on Jan 1. They say its a beta release and I'm not sure if that means progression is possible right away or if they are going to have a 'full' release later that will start progression.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
well they don't have all the content done for kunark yet according to their development page

Sketched_sl

shitlord
Yeah if the content isn't done yet for an expansion then there is no progression past that obviously. The point of the server is part progression, and part preservation. So to save work, stuff isn't being retuned to older versions. Like Cazic Thule the zone is set non-aggro, and all the original lizards are outside. Just like during PoP era. But the devs are interested in attempting to have some sort of progression mechanic as well. Whether it holds that way or not, we will see. Speedz is saying they have a way to track active players and what has been accomplished. I personally am not interested in the progression part, but its not my server. If we end up with a pretty accurate PoP locked server in a couple years I think everyone will be happy with that.

Furst_sl

shitlord
server will be in "beta" till PoP is released and with out bugs.
1/1/15 starts the server off fresh and a no wipes, unless something happens that warrants it, like a massive hack.