Student Loans and the SAVE plan

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I left high school and got a GED. I went to a directional state school the next semester. I was shocked you had to take test after test to find out if you needed remedial math, english, science, or whatever before you even started classes. This was everyone and a lot needed it. They were right out of high school and this 30 plus years ago. Of course the state had just started a program that if you finished in the top 10% of graduates you went to college for free or at a reduced cost to a state school.

Did that for a semester, and worked for myself for a few years. When I went to college in TX the dead of the college of the department interviewed me and said it was fine with a GED and allowed me to skip a few classes.

Point being even 30 years ago a high school degree wasn't enough to get you out of taking remedial stuff in college before even taking a regular college class. I wonder how many couldn't even pass that.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I left high school and got a GED. I went to a directional state school the next semester. I was shocked you had to take test after test to find out if you needed remedial math, english, science, or whatever before you even started classes. This was everyone and a lot needed it. They were right out of high school and this 30 plus years ago. Of course the state had just started a program that if you finished in the top 10% of graduates you went to college for free or at a reduced cost to a state school.

Did that for a semester, and worked for myself for a few years. When I went to college in TX the dead of the college of the department interviewed me and said it was fine with a GED and allowed me to skip a few classes.

Point being even 30 years ago a high school degree wasn't enough to get you out of taking remedial stuff in college before even taking a regular college class. I wonder how many couldn't even pass that.
Think this is more because high schools are not all the same and each student is not the same, like not at all. When I went to college I skipped most of the entry level classes in science and math due to AP tests. Other people would have to take remedial classes because they only took geometry in high school and no pre-calc/calculus. "Graduated high school" can mean 100% ready for college or it can mean struggled through basic classes and barely graduated.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Think this is more because high schools are not all the same and each student is not the same, like not at all. When I went to college I skipped most of the entry level classes in science and math due to AP tests. Other people would have to take remedial classes because they only took geometry in high school and no pre-calc/calculus. "Graduated high school" can mean 100% ready for college or it can mean struggled through basic classes and barely graduated.

Yeah. I don't mean this as a "look at me I'm smaaht!" thing, but I had I think 12 AP credits and could have graduated college a full semester early. The variance in "high school graduates" is huge.

Last edited:

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Yeah. I don't mean this as a "look at me I'm smaaht!" thing, but I had I think 12 AP credits and could have graduated college a full semester early. The variance in "high school graduates" is huge.
Most of the schools my wife has been an administrator at have large populations of kids with this many or more AP credits. The schools she taught at before switching to admin were at the other end of the spectrum. Lower end socioeconomic areas, there are still kids who are high performers but it’s far, far fewer. The schools also generally get less funding, parents aren’t as involved, and have a hard time attracting higher quality staff.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

nu_11

So I checked SAVE repayment... the payment schedule is like $750 / month. Help bros 😭

Palum

what Suineg set it to
So I checked SAVE repayment... the payment schedule is like $750 / month. Help bros 😭

You may just have to do extended or graduated extended repayment. If you owe 6 figures then you're just fucked.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Other fun stuff:

Still sleeps in the twinsie bed his mommy bought him.
Claims to have knowledge of how college works; has no degree.
Boiled his nuts off for years in a tiny hot room because he didn't know how windows worked, and despite claiming to make $200k+ a year as an "engineer", refused to spend a few hundred for a window AC.
Depending on the argument, he claims to be a telco expert or an AWS engineer or whatever daydream he has that day. Because as you know, people making $200k a year live in tiny run down houses with no AC.

That's the Gist of Mist. Ya'll keep these things in mind when he tries to sound smarter than you.

What Mist thinks he is:
View attachment 506796
What Mist actually is:
View attachment 506797

Why are you now the unofficial FOH lorekeeper?

nu_11

You may just have to do extended or graduated extended repayment. If you owe 6 figures then you're just fucked.
I only owe 10k

Right now the SAVE repayment is $750/month and the other option is $45/month

Its just that the SAVE is retarded plan for me

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I only owe 10k

Right now the SAVE repayment is $750/month and the other option is $45/month

Its just that the SAVE is retarded plan for me
Right because it's not for people who actually pay net taxes, just the underclass with 6 figures in indentured servitude to work off.