Succession

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I normally hate the typical hate towards female characters that is fairly common in TV threads, but holy shit, Shiv has to be the worst character ever. Just a complete cunt.

I realise she was their only play, but it's still insane to me that they would trust her considering how many times she's tried to knife them in the back. But then again, not everyone holds grudges like me I guess.

In the end she swallowed her... err pride, betrayed her family to live in a loveless cuck marriage for a taste of that sweet power dick. The great thing was her reasoning of "I don't think you'd be good for the company" bullshit she spewed at the end when it was all double speak. She knew she could get more power from Tom then Ken.

In the end Roman came out looking like the most matured and at peace with himself out of the 3. Maybe he got something out of his breakdown?

Almost felt Ken was about to pull a splat show on the side of the road from executive row... but that would've been a bit too absurd and I'm glad it ended somewhat normally and mundanely in a sense.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Great fuckin' show. I'll definitely miss it. There's something about that opening credit jingle that has always reminded me of summer for the past several years.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
They stuck the fuckin landing.

In totality, I'm not sure this show could have been any better. It's in the Pantheon of all time greats.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Clap Reaction GIF

Just incredible.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
<Trapped in Randomonia>
In the end she swallowed her... err pride, betrayed her family to live in a loveless cuck marriage for a taste of that sweet power dick. The great thing was her reasoning of "I don't think you'd be good for the company" bullshit she spewed at the end when it was all double speak. She knew she could get more power from Tom then Ken.

In the end Roman came out looking like the most matured and at peace with himself out of the 3. Maybe he got something out of his breakdown?

Almost felt Ken was about to pull a splat show on the side of the road from executive row... but that would've been a bit too absurd and I'm glad it ended somewhat normally and mundanely in a sense.

Why did Tom take her back. That's one of the things I disliked about this season, episodes were ending on massive betrayals and declarations of war then next episode it was like that had been forgotten. Even the massive betrayal at end of s3 was seemingly thawing when this season started and by the end they were visiting their mother again.
Like, what was the point of Tom/Shiv epic argument if it was all meaningless.

Maybe it's just me who finds forgiveness hard especially when betrayal is involved but it was a running theme in this season.

Your quote and reply answers why Shiv joined Tom, but that wasn't my question

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Why did Tom take her back. That's one of the things I disliked about this season, episodes were ending on massive betrayals and declarations of war then next episode it was like that had been forgotten. Even the massive betrayal at end of s3 was seemingly thawing when this season started and by the end they were visiting their mother again.
Like, what was the point of Tom/Shiv epic argument if it was all meaningless.

Maybe it's just me who finds forgiveness hard especially when betrayal is involved but it was a running theme in this season.

Your quote and reply answers why Shiv joined Tom, but that wasn't my question
It's because they love each other. As much as either of them are capable of it. They don't actually like each other, but they do in their own way care for each other. And they are having a child.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Well I think Tom loves Shiv but Shiv loves how Tom makes her feel.

Either that or he was getting off on finally having her in the position of subservience.

You could spin it a 100 ways. All are believable because the show is so well written.

One thing's for certain i could watch this whole series again and pick through the characters a million times. So many layers to inspect and talk about. It's great seeing discourse around a show again for it being a knockout instead of a joke.

Maul

Dental Dammer
Greg slapping Tom was the best thing this season by far.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Finale was pretty perfect and really ended for all the kids exactly how you’d expect. Shiv just wants power so stuck with Tom to try and get it. Kendall is, well Kendall. Roman the only one who seems to have realized his issues although no idea if he actually came to terms with it or can now just go back to his usual ways. His martini nod to Gerri at the end was a nice touch. Maybe he spends his days chasing her now.

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
Solid finish, would rate in top 25 all time show. HBO has had a great run since Sopranos.

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
Top 25? That's harsh
I think it's top tier but not top top tier like The Wire or BCS/BB
I could see that argument for sure. It's nowhere near that level, but I would rate the death episode as good as BB "Ozymandias"

Maybe top 25 drama now that I relook at my list, lol.

Juvarisx

Florida
Any show with as close to a perfect ending after a mostly flawless run is top top tier. Its like what? Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, Sopranos, The Shield, The Americans, Six Feet Under, Leftovers, The Wire, Mr. Robot and Veep? You can now add Succession to that list.

Sure there may have been better or more entertaining shows at points but constant quality while sticking the ending is super rare

• 1Garbage
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I think what is so impressive about this show and why its deserving of "all-time" great is the fact that they basically killed off the show's central character in episode 3 of this season, the character in which pretty much the entire premise of the show revolves around. We basically had 7 episodes without the show's central character and we were still on the edge of our seats the entire time.

Imagine if they had killed Tony off in episode 3 of S6.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
<Trapped in Randomonia>
I think what is so impressive about this show and why its deserving of "all-time" great is the fact that they basically killed off the show's central character in episode 3 of this season, the character in which pretty much the entire premise of the show revolves around. We basically had 7 episodes without the show's central character and we were still on the edge of our seats the entire time.

Bruh, the whole point is succession aka who takes over when he dies, just like Murdoch Logan wasn't the retiring type.

They had to kill him off at some point

• 1Garbage
Reactions: 1 user

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Bruh, the whole point is succession aka who takes over when he dies, just like Murdoch Logan wasn't the retiring type.

They had to kill him off at some point
Right, but most expected it'd be right around the end of the season and then there would be a final squabble. Instead, they did it almost immediately and most of us barely noticed because of how good the show is.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

Whats even better is they kill him off in S1 but he is such a well done character they resurrect him. Logan and Boyd.

• 1Blown

Xevy

Log Wizard
The Shiv thing was pretty fucking annoying, but then watching Kendall's breakdown it kind of gave credence to her decision. He went full on 5 stages the second he didn't think he was going to get CEO and he was already business-bro scheming even when he lost "I think we need to get to Frank. I see a path there." Fuckin' bruh.

The best character definitely got the job. All Hail The Pain Sponge. I half thought after Matson told him was going to be firing everyone he'd rethink it and side with Shiv, but nah. Our boy wants uppies.

Roman was tolerable+ this episode. He felt like an enjoyable character again rather than just a fucking loud pest. Except for the whole weird hug out thing with Kendall. Dude probably just needs meds or something. He definitely ended in a better place than the other two.

Carl and Frank wondering whether to give Tom a spin for one last ride. Then cut to Tom immediately saying 'they're gone, fuck those old shits'. Great stuff.

And Connor's sticker system was nearly immaculate.

• 1Like

Xenrauk

Trakanon Raider
Why would Shiv wait until the very last minute to play the "you killed a guy" card? She could have done it back when they were on the terrace or at the pool and at the beach to break Kendall. Didn't even use it as a leverage card to get something else out of the deal in the end. She definitely showed she would have made the worse ceo of the 3, next to Roman and his last minute breakdowns.

"Cunt is as cunt does." - Kendall Roy

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Why would Shiv wait until the very last minute to play the "you killed a guy" card? She could have done it back when they were on the terrace or at the pool and at the beach to break Kendall. Didn't even use it as a leverage card to get something else out of the deal in the end. She definitely showed she would have made the worse ceo of the 3, next to Roman and his last minute breakdowns.

"Cunt is as cunt does." - Kendall Roy
I don't think she realized she was going to nope out until right before the vote. The Tom thing really hit her when it came time to vote. She was full on Tom hate until she had to pull the trigger.