The 80s kid thread

BoldW

Molten Core Raider
I know it's been mentioned, but I rewatched this tonight and it's still a great fuggin movie
Revenge-Of-The-Nerds.gif

Terial

Trakanon Raider
hahah nice, this movie is on my list for my kids to watch when they are a bit older
smile.png

Araka... no... fiiire... araka!.. fiiiire hahah good stuff

oh yea and to add, either i mised it in the thread or you all just forgot....
rrr_img_68386.jpg

rrr_img_68387.jpg

rrr_img_68388.jpg

I had this till about 3 months ago, when i brought it to work and it broke.. it was just brittle at this point
frown.png

rrr_img_68389.jpg

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
I got this for Christmas and played it waaaay too much
rrr_img_68390.jpg

Oh and I totally forgot this thing used sunlight and mirrors to act like a computer screen.
rrr_img_68391.jpg

Gravy

Bronze Squire
My first computer that I had to work to pay for: TRS-80 Model IV

Attachment 68396

Mine was super badass though, it had 3! 5 1/4" disc drives. And the best dot matrix printer available.

About $2000 at the time, and totally obsolete about 6 months later when I got to college and they had Apple MacIntosh computers.

Terial

Trakanon Raider
This is the first PC i can remember, but i swear i had one before this, but can't remember the name. But i remember this one had a huge 64KB ram cartridge you could plug into it !
smile.png

rrr_img_68401.jpg

Then of course there was the bootable floppy where you had to create/modify your autoexec.bat and config.sys files .... ahh good times, this is why i'm 99% sure everyone from this thread can fix computers, while todays generation can just use them.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Born in '71 and graduated HS in '89 and apparently I didn't watch near as much TV as the average kid in the '80's. Anyway I did own computers. I remember similar type ads and prices. Hard drives were often referred to as winchester drives.

a3db6e2f8a30de8e94367e7c0a7520e6.jpg

old-disk-ad.jpg

I remember this VERY well.

reef2.jpg

drive-dump.jpg

I spent a LOT of time flipping thru these looking for computers and parts for myself and my dad who was just transitioning to drafting on a computer with autocad.

computer-shopper-magazine.jpg

Column_sl

shitlord
Is that one toy hanging on the wall say 69.99 in the 80s??

Holy fuck, thats probly like a 200 dollars with inflation.

9r867l.jpg

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Is that one toy hanging on the wall say 69.99 in the 80s??

Holy fuck, thats probly like a 200 dollars with inflation.

9r867l.jpg
Shit was expensive back then. Games on PC were 29.99-49.99 (usually around 35$)

Nintendo games were 24.99-49.99 (usually around 35$) I think Legend of Zelda was the first 50 dollar game on Nintendo.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I spent a LOT of time flipping thru these looking for computers and parts for myself and my dad who was just transitioning to drafting on a computer with autocad.

computer-shopper-magazine.jpg
Those were some THICK magazines. I used them for the BBS (!) listings. Saw a Computer Shopper back it the 2000s and they were super thin by that point..

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Yeah it was basically like a phone book. You could get one off of ebay for nostalgia sake but they only seem to go back to 1990. I clicked on one from 1990 and it said 700+ pages.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Suddenly remembered the electric radio controlled car craze of the 80s. God I wasted so much money upgrading and repairing these:

Tamiya Frog:

dsc04582lg.jpg

Kyosho Optima (piece of shit):

optima_promo2.jpg

Finally gave up and joined the club. Team Associated's RC-10:

teamassociatedrc10005.jpg

Column_sl

shitlord
The toy companies used to put out catalogs of all the shit that would come out a year in advance.
You could only get them if you were a wholesaler, they weren't open to the public.

A friend of the family would drop them off at my parents house, and damn that shit was cool.
Was like phone book sized catalogs of everything that would come out from Hasbro, Kenner, etc etc.

My brother, and I would charge kids at school to peak at the new G I Joes, and whatever else a year in advance. We had so many baseball cards, and other retarded shit from that venture it was crazy.