The 80s kid thread

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
It's shit like this that makes me think the conspiracy theories are true, that the sole purpose of school is now to get kids accustomed to not doing shit without permission from an authority figure. Imagine when these kids grow up and start having kids, how the fuck will this end? Fuck man!

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
rrr_img_70010.jpg

rrr_img_70006.gif

rrr_img_70008.jpg

rrr_img_70011.jpg

rrr_img_70012.jpg

Terial

Trakanon Raider
was flipping channels tonight (odd that that still happens sometimes) and i ran across something i totally forgot about ... and of course fits perfectly in this thread
smile.png

Nt9vL62.jpg

Hk4eCLm.jpg

4gHDole.jpg

ChqszBi.jpg

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Was Child World a predecessor or competitor of Kids R Us? That's a complete crap name for a business. Seriously. Child World? Sounds like some shitty sci-fy movie where all the adults died and the kids were running the world.

Actually, I'm pretty sure that movie has been made. Or it was on Star Trek.

Tenjikuronin

Was Child World a predecessor or competitor of Kids R Us? That's a complete crap name for a business. Seriously. Child World? Sounds like some shitty sci-fy movie where all the adults died and the kids were running the world.

Actually, I'm pretty sure that movie has been made. Or it was on Star Trek.
Child World/Children's Palace (both owned by the same company) were competitors of Toys "R" Us. I can't remember if Child World sold clothes or not, but usually they competed price wise with TRU (especially when it came to NES games). Kids "R" Us mostly sold clothing, and all free standing stores were merged into pre-existing Toys "R" Us stores in the late 90's/early 00's. Part of the reason Toys "R" Us stores aren't as great as before is due to the amount of space given to children's clothing, instead of toys.

Kids_r_us_67095.jpg

4396019.JPG

bigKids.jpg

3309969479_5653efd6d4.jpg

Grimsark

G.I.Joe's and these were my obsession... I was dirt poor so I never had many, but when I could get them, it was like striking gold.

rrr_img_70675.jpg
rrr_img_70676.jpg
rrr_img_70677.jpg
rrr_img_70678.jpg

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Child World/Children's Palace (both owned by the same company) were competitors of Toys "R" Us. I can't remember if Child World sold clothes or not, but usually they competed price wise with TRU (especially when it came to NES games). Kids "R" Us mostly sold clothing, and all free standing stores were merged into pre-existing Toys "R" Us stores in the late 90's/early 00's. Part of the reason Toys "R" Us stores aren't as great as before is due to the amount of space given to children's clothing, instead of toys.

Kids_r_us_67095.jpg

4396019.JPG

bigKids.jpg

3309969479_5653efd6d4.jpg
NES games were pricefixed, they were the same everywhere. They got sued.

Tenjikuronin

NES games were pricefixed, they were the same everywhere. They got sued.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the FTC suit against Nintendo in 1991 was based on price fixing for the consoles, rather than the games. I remember game prices being all over the map, with CW/CP often having cheaper prices than TRU.

EPL0001244-01.JPG

EPL0001257-01.JPG

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
KB toys always made me claustrophobic. They always felt like they had 1/4 the toys of a Toys R Us in 1/20 the physical space. Aisles were always stacked to the ceiling with toys, just toys piled upon toys piled upon toys(especially around Christmas). If there were an earthquake while you were in a KB, it would take days to dig you out.

I had a good friend who managed a KB toys before I hired him to come work for me at Gamestop when KB closed(this was circa 2000-ish), and I swear to god they got more shipment boxes in a week than Gamestop got in a month. They'd get another full semi-trailer full of toys when the store was already packed full. He hated it, he felt like he was constantly climbing through boxes all the time in his KB store.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
KB toys always made me claustrophobic. They always felt like they had 1/4 the toys of a Toys R Us in 1/20 the physical space.
Yeah it always did feel like that. I guess the rents were cheaper? Of course they folded and TrU is still around so...