The Adam Project (2022)

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Lost my father in 1999; lost my mother in 2014; this movie hits fucking hard.
It was pretty good, and yeah, echoing the Flight of the Navigator vibe. Kid was hilariously punch-able at the start; super clean progression.

movie tugs hard at the heartstrings for those who in similarish situations; 9/10. Probably a 7-8 out of 10 if not, but very watchable otherwise.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Fun movie.

Whole thing would have gone very different if
the bad guys had decided - just once - not to switch off their invisibility right before attacking. they do this literally every single time they attack, after the movie clearly establishes that the invisibility tech requires switching on or off.

Example #3,124,588 of Hollywood deciding on visuals because some douchebag thought it looked cool without first thinking through whether it makes any goddam sense.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Invisibility clearly states that when you perform an action, the invisibility drops.

• 3Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 4 users

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
ships moved while invis. people moved while invis. what, swinging your arm, that breaks the invis? I don't remember anyone ever trying to justify that in the movie.

ah nm, EQ joke! its been so long

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

j00t

ships moved while invis. people moved while invis. what, swinging your arm, that breaks the invis? I don't remember anyone ever trying to justify that in the movie.

ah nm, EQ joke! its been so long
It was more a dnd joke, but it works with EQ too.

But yes, it's a stupid movie thing and I agree with your statement on it. There are SEVERAL issues with the movie and it's science. But you sort of have to ignore that since it's not really what the story is about, despite the movie telling you that it IS about the science stuff.

It's just about being able to reconcile your past. Which is why some people find it to hit pretty hard in the feels, and other people are pretty meh about it. Some people either don't need to do that, or be aren't ready to so all you can do with the movie is look at the bad cgi and awful science.

• 1Like

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Ships being unable to fire while cloaked and/or having shields down while cloaked have long been used in sci-fi. Same for individuals with invisibility having to wear a full bodysuit or being naked, thus preventing them from carrying external objects and weapons without being spotted.

Narratively, they have to prevent cloaking from being an OP offensive ability and limit it to stealth capability. Or else the villain sneaks up on the main character and shoots him dead with no defense, story over.

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
It's just about being able to reconcile your past. Which is why some people find it to hit pretty hard in the feels, and other people are pretty meh about it. Some people either don't need to do that, or be aren't ready to so all you can do with the movie is look at the bad cgi and awful science.
Yes, this movie isnt meant to be crazy realistic or have any lore like Trek/SW stuff.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
How does a story that has no pacing, no character building, and no cohesive plot "hit in the feels". Just because for 2 seconds after he meets his wife who he went back to save and she weirdly tells him to keep going back farther he meets his dad again and has a bunch of rushed, strange conversations with him? This movie has absolutely nothing going for it. It's written terribly. It doesn't hit in any of the feels anywhere and it has nothing to do with having some sort of connection to the story it's TRYING to tell. It's just bad storytelling.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I don't know how to explain, I still blame myself for deaths and not being a better son for my mom.

Tantrik

Golden Knight of the Realm
How does a story that has no pacing, no character building, and no cohesive plot "hit in the feels". Just because for 2 seconds after he meets his wife who he went back to save and she weirdly tells him to keep going back farther he meets his dad again and has a bunch of rushed, strange conversations with him? This movie has absolutely nothing going for it. It's written terribly. It doesn't hit in any of the feels anywhere and it has nothing to do with having some sort of connection to the story it's TRYING to tell. It's just bad storytelling.
I think it hits the feels for folks that lost a parent or parents, especially early, in their life. My wife and I felt the same way you did and could not make it through the movie...god awful.

j00t

I think it hits the feels for folks that lost a parent or parents, especially early, in their life. My wife and I felt the same way you did and could not make it through the movie...god awful.
like i said, it's a movie for people who need to reconcile their past. i wouldn't even just say it's for people who lost one or both of their parents. the movie never explicitly states that he lost his mom, but it's pretty clear that he resents the way he treated his mother during that time. chances are she died when he was an adult but their relationship probably never recovered.

i mean it's not a perfect movie AT ALL and when you unwrap it all it does feel kinda cheap in how they tried to cover all the reasons why someone might want/need to revisit their past. but for those people who might need that, here it is.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Decent waste of time. It's just as good as anything made on TV in the past 10 years but not an amazing experience. It just shows that in an age of terrible stories, a decent movie is a breath of fresh air. Treating your parents better is a fantastic message that all kids need to watch. We've all been there.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Fadaar

That guy
like i said, it's a movie for people who need to reconcile their past. i wouldn't even just say it's for people who lost one or both of their parents. the movie never explicitly states that he lost his mom, but it's pretty clear that he resents the way he treated his mother during that time. chances are she died when he was an adult but their relationship probably never recovered.

i mean it's not a perfect movie AT ALL and when you unwrap it all it does feel kinda cheap in how they tried to cover all the reasons why someone might want/need to revisit their past. but for those people who might need that, here it is.

probably the same reasons i was never as high on Interstellar or Arrival as a lot of people are. i dont have kids and i hate time travel tropes.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
This movie doesn't convey a message in any relatable way. That's why it falls flat. A 12 year old kid quipping like Ryan Reynold's as Deadpool is... not relatable. There is no 12 year old on earth that speaks like that. So yea, he was a little shit to his mother, but in a very weird, grown up, sardonic way.

It just doesn't hit.

j00t

It doesn't hit for you. EVERY 12 year old thinks they are as quippy as adult Ryan Reynolds.

• 1Like

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
Treating your parents better is a fantastic message that all kids need to watch. We've all been there.
This is the best takeaway from this film.

My mistake as a movie-watcher/person was getting into this film thinking it was going to be a brainy, time-twister sci-fi excursion and it was so NOT that at all.

This is the movie equivalent of chicken noodle soup made by mom.

• 1Barf