The "Am I stupid AF for wanting a motorcycle" thread.

Tick_sl

shitlord
Ok so all my life I have wanted a damn bike. I have zero experience but eager and willing to learn with lots of patience and a great regard for safety. Everyone and their mom save 1 or 2 people are telling me Im either gonna drop it or die. All I want is a little weekend cruiser! A Honda CTX700n to be exact. The damn thing is automatic ffs and has ABS ( great reviews to boot ). I am 33 years old, 1st kid is coming in 6 months, but have PLENTY of cash for the bike note and kid. So tell me....... am I stupid for wanting this for myself???

Silence_sl

shitlord
Ok so all my life I have wanted a damn bike. I have zero experience but eager and willing to learn with lots of patience and a great regard for safety. Everyone and their mom save 1 or 2 people are telling me Im either gonna drop it or die. All I want is a little weekend cruiser! A Honda CTX700n to be exact. The damn thing is automatic ffs and has ABS ( great reviews to boot ). I am 33 years old, 1st kid is coming in 6 months, but have PLENTY of cash for the bike note and kid. So tell me....... am I stupid for wanting this for myself???
I've been riding them all my life. Street bikes, dirt bikes, ATV's. There are lots of things to learn about them...not that riding itself is difficult, but the boxing rule applies in spades here: the punch you don't see is the one that gets you. It doesn't matter what safety doodads your machine has because the crumple zone on a motorcycle is your face.

If you live in a low-traffic area and have a good head on your shoulders, then yeah, they aren't that dangerous. Lots of traffic/asshole drivers? Forget it.

Beyond that, Honda makes a really good product. The 700 has enough power to be safe, but not too much to be unsafe, and the ABS can keep your teeth out of the pavement on a wet day.

Barellron

Trakanon Raider
I knew a guy in his early 30s that left behind a newborn and wife after he got knocked off the road on his bike.
Safety doesn't mean shit unless you're always on the road alone. Take that as you will.

iannis

Musty Nester
Nah man, get a bike.

They're good toys if you live in a rural area. If you live in a population dense area it might be a really stupid thing to do. So you'll have to get a trailer and a pickup truck too so you can drive your bike out to the styx so that you can ride your bike!

Think of it as a land-boat. Or maybe a land jetski.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
At least get your kid out of diapers first. Every time I think about them I'm reminded by another horrible motorcycle accident that affects someone I'm aware of, even if not an acquaintance.

Sabbat

Trakanon Raider
If you plan on getting a bike, it is a MUST to do a proper motorcycle training course. It doesn't matter how long you've driven for, or even ridden dirt bikes. DO THE TRAINING. Don't fuck around on the course, take everything they say seriously and it'll save your life more than once. If you're expected to follow certain licensing restrictions while you learn, or get your provisional licence, obey the rules, and go at it slowly.

When I got my licence to ride, it was a 3 day safety course, a further 3 days for advanced training, and then a year before you could ride anything over a 600cc cycle (without special recommendation). I ended up never wanting anything over 600cc (even though I got cleared for 600+ during my advanced course).

There's no real difference in driving a car and riding a bike as far as safety goes, all the same rules apply. Expect people to do dumb shit, give them room to do dumb shit, and give yourself time to avoid the dumb shit when it happens. The only difference between the two is that if you slip up and don't allow/expect/cover for other peoples mistakes, you'll end up dead, or missing limbs.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Mid-life crisis thread? Why not just get a shitty tattoo, or bang some hookers in stead?

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
I am 33 years old, 1st kid is coming in 6 months, but have PLENTY of cash for the bike note and kid.
I don't think I've ever heard a parent say they had plenty of money for their children. They always want more for them.

Molten Core Raider
I am in about the same boat, only my son is grown. Father in law is getting rid of his 750 shadow and asked me if I wanted it. It has caused some anxiety in my family since my father is sure everyone who has ever ridden a motorcycle has died. Ive been thinking about it for quite a few months but intend to take the riders safety course, then decide for sure.

I am expecting like most my hobbies I will lose interest after a year or two but.. who knows, they look damn fun.

Do what you feel best about imo. Life is short, no sense in lying on your death bed at 80 thinking about all the shit you didnt do cause you might get hurt!

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
Obviously coming here and asking such a question (with the wording you chose too, gotta point out )

You're expecting a whole bunch of negative answers. And there will be a few in support.

You say you're 33 with no bike experience, I figure you've got to do some proper training. Perhaps also, see if you can join up with some riders who go for weekend cruises, sensible guys not some young hot-heads.

In the end, it's all up to you what to do with your money.

Zhavric

Molten Core Raider

Sir Funk

Lord Nagafen Raider
I have known a lot of people with bikes and every single one of them has crashed it at least once and everyone they know who rides has also crashed at least once. They are death machines for sure, but they are fun as hell. You only YOLO once, man. I say do it, but buy a bigass life insurance policy before you get ROAD RASH.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I was in a similar situation but waiting unti you have a kid is dumb. Do you have a good place to garage it? A good work commute for it and not hand to wear a suit?
I ended up enjoying mine but found the logistics difficult.

Erikmustride_sl

shitlord
I've been riding my whole life. I've gone years without owning a car. I currently own 4 motorcycles and a pickup. The truck only gets driven about 3000 miles a year. I log over 30,000 on my bikes. Do what's best for you, but, take a local motorcycle safety course and start off with something less powerful than a big sport bike.

blizzak

<Silver Donator>
Get a bike, take the course and enjoy the freedom and relaxation that comes with being on an open road. I'm 45 and just bought my first bike last fall, I'll have a second bike next spring for riding 2 up with the wife. My only regret was waiting so long to get started, missed out on years of enjoyment getting away from it all on a good bike.

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
Haven't touched my motorbike in over 2 years.
Coincidentally my daughter turned two in july.

I just love life too much recently. Too many assholes out to get you. Still can't bring myself to sell the thing.

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
In case you missed it:Motorcycle Thread

Take a cold hard look at your own driving. If you drive like a dumbass with your car, things aren't going to be pretty with a bike. If you're a sensible driver, then you will do just fine. You just need to be a little more attentive to what is going on around you, mostly because by virtue of being so small you are less visible to other drivers so you have to make up for it.

I use my bike as commuter 6 months a year and take my car for the winter months. Makes the ride to and from work a lot more fun.