The "Am I stupid AF for wanting a motorcycle" thread.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Nice post, I enjoy the part where you left out the very next part of my quote that said motorcycles are inherently more dangerous and no one was arguing this, the best.
Yes, I focused on the stupid part of the post, likening it to air travel. As if that's even comparable. Skydiving is a pretty much dead if you have an accident activity too, but its far more controlled and organized than riding a bike in traffic. Dumb comparisons are dumb.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Yes, I focused on the stupid part of the post, likening it to air travel. As if that's even comparable. Skydiving is a pretty much dead if you have an accident activity too, but its far more controlled and organized than riding a bike in traffic. Dumb comparisons are dumb.
Except it was in response to "if you travel this way and get into an accident you have a higher chance of being killed" so I then used a related reference of another mode of transportation. Which gives credence to my post and absolutely zero to yours.

You're pretty good at being retarded though, please continue. I'm okay with you trying to be a clever dick and failing at it.

Kharza-kzad_sl

shitlord
Get a superbike!
biggrin.png

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
My stepdad is a neurosurgeon and he calls motorcyclists "organ donors in motion" because they are pretty much either DOA or unsalvageable by nature of their head injuries.

The problem with a motorcycle is OTHER drivers-- you are basically putting your life in someone else's hands.. Considering about 80% of the female population here are either staring at their cell phones or adjusting their hair in the rear view mirror while driving, putting your life in the hands of these drivers is just downright foolish. You have a family and kids, screw the motorcycle.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I would probably ride one in Minnesota. We probably have more traffic in Miami at 2am than you have during rush hour.
And Michigan, yes. I wholeheartedly agree there are places I would be hesitant to ride. Heavy traffic in Miami, LA and places would be among them. I've been in Chicago during rush and I didn't mind it too much but I was very VERY aware of everything around me at all times.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
My stepdad is a neurosurgeon and he calls motorcyclists "organ donors in motion" because they are pretty much either DOA or unsalvageable by nature of their head injuries.

The problem with a motorcycle is OTHER drivers-- you are basically putting your life in someone else's hands.. Considering about 80% of the female population here are either staring at their cell phones or adjusting their hair in the rear view mirror while driving, putting your life in the hands of these drivers is just downright foolish. You have a family and kids, screw the motorcycle.
My uncle is a dentist and calls soda "a liquid chainsaw" and I still drink it. (yes I get one is death and one is losing your teeth but again, everything has a horror story attached to it.)

Again, people who don't ride wont get it. It's just like any hobby that people are heavy into. Some hobbies have risk, some don't. What may not be worth it to you may be to someone else.

Like I said, rent one, take the course and see how it makes you feel to be out on the road. Make your decision based off that imo. My wife was super scared and angry when I refused to give up my bike, now I can't go for a ride without her bitching that I take her too.

The whole "your life is in other peoples hands" is absolutely true. Which is why when I drive I stay the fuck away from everyone as much as I can. When at an intersection if someone has the right of way and just sits there like a dumbass....I don't then just go like I would in my car. I wait for their asses to go and refuse to move. It requires a ton more caution and awareness and it's not for everyone.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Except it was in response to "if you travel this way and get into an accident you have a higher chance of being killed" so I then used a related reference of another mode of transportation. Which gives credence to my post and absolutely zero to yours.
Odds of dying in plane crash in U.S. are equal to being struck by lightning SEVEN times: expert?* - NY Daily News

General health - The 25 Most Common Causes of Death - MedHelp

The odds are 11 million to 1 that you'll die in a plane crash - The Week

Air travel is actually exceedingly safe by the numbers. I thought everyone knew this. As Eomer said, the most minor fender bender in a car turns into a life and death ordeal in the same circumstances on a bike.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My uncle is a dentist and calls soda "a liquid chainsaw" and I still drink it. (yes I get one is death and one is losing your teeth but again, everything has a horror story attached to it.)
Now you're just doing this shit on purpose.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Ask yourself, "If a crazed grandma t-bones me while I'm sitting at a red light and I can never walk again and I'm now forced to shit in a bag for the rest of my life, will that affect anyone other than me?"

Depending on that answer, and how you feel about that answer, decide to buy the bike.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Again, people who don't ride wont get it. It's just like any hobby that people are heavy into. Some hobbies have risk, some don't. What may not be worth it to you may be to someone else.
Well, I consider skydiving and bungie jumping almost as equally as dumb-- somewhere along the lines of modern day Darwinism. However, at least in those hobbies you can pack your own chute and inspect your own tether, doing everything you can to internalize and minimize the risk. When you drive a motorcycle, with the exception of wearing a helmet and "paying attention", (which you should be doing anyways on any motor vehicle) it's about all you can do to mitigate your risk. The lion's share of your risk is still external-- namely the competence of drivers around you.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I'd be curious to see some actual statistical information on deaths per driven mile on motorcycles vs. cars, if just for curiosity. Here we go:Motorcycle safety - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Per vehicle mile traveled, motorcyclists' risk of a fatal crash is 35 times greater than a passenger car.
That's actually not nearly as bad as I would have thought it was. Not surprisingly it drops off quite a bit for riders who are 40+. Those statistics are also from the US, where there's a pretty significant minority of idiots who ride without helmets. That would certainly impact the statistics. In any case, yes there is risk in everything, but there's different levels of risk. Riding a motorcycle is a little over an order of magnitude more dangerous than driving a car. From my perspective, that's actually not that bad. But I also heli/cat/backcountry ski, downhill mountain bike, and run down the middle of the fairway with a 1 iron during a thunderstorm (If you are caught on a golf course during a storm and are afraid of lightning, hold up a... - Lee Trevino at BrainyQuote).

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Who said anywhere that anyone dies more in airplanes than motorcycles? You're creating arguments that don't exist simply for the sake of arguing.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I'd be curious to see some actual statistical information on deaths per driven mile on motorcycles vs. cars, if just for curiosity. Here we go:Motorcycle safety - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That's actually not nearly as bad as I would have thought it was. Not surprisingly it drops off quite a bit for riders who are 40+. Those statistics are also from the US, where there's a pretty significant minority of idiots who ride without helmets. That would certainly impact the statistics. In any case, yes there is risk in everything, but there's different levels of risk. Riding a motorcycle is a little over an order of magnitude more dangerous than driving a car. From my perspective, that's actually not that bad. But I also heli/cat/backcountry ski, downhill mountain bike, and run down the middle of the fairway with a 1 iron during a thunderstorm (If you are caught on a golf course during a storm and are afraid of lightning, hold up a... - Lee Trevino at BrainyQuote).
I've never understood not wearing a helmet. I was blown away when I moved to MN where no helmet law exists.

us820

Silver Squire
I know three people I used to ride with that have lost legs below the knee.All between the motor and an idiot's car bumper three separate accidents.I quit the street years ago.Too many dumbasses.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I ride a motorcycle nearly every day. Many days I ride in heavy Chicago traffic, and I've ridden in L.A. traffic, and all over the country. There are a few things to consider when you get on a motorcycle:

1. Only you can keep you safe, and not even 100% of the time. You get into accidents on busy roads, the difference is that motorcycle accidents are always worse. I have been rear ended, run off the road, and clipped enough that I had to ditch. Accidents will happen, so get yourself prepared - wear the right gear. Protective pants, jacket, gloves, and helmet.
2. Get as much training as you can. Take the safety courses, take your bike to a parking lot, practice everything a million times.
3. Drive defensively - every other vehicle on the road is able to kill you. Don't expect them to drive responsibly. You need to look everywhere, all the time.

Get the bike. It's a wonderful way to get around. I couldn't give mine up if I was asked to.