The Astronomy Thread

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Think there's any left of it? Maybe could forge a mighty blade with it, good for defeating serpent men from the outer void.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
DT2YLOdX0AEZ4Lp.jpg:large

U.S. tests nuclear power system to sustain astronauts on Mars

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
It didn't blow up, so excited! This is pretty cool too, not quite as cool as a big fucking rocket.

The Humanity Star

A Star For Humanity
Visible from earth with the naked eye, the Humanity Star is a highly reflective satellite that blinks brightly across the night sky to create a shared experience for everyone on the planet.

Created by Rocket Lab founder and CEO Peter Beck, the Humanity Star is a geodesic sphere made from carbon fibre with 65 highly reflective panels. It spins rapidly, reflecting the sun’s rays back to Earth, creating a flashing light that can be seen against a backdrop of stars.

Orbiting the Earth every 90 minutes and visible from anywhere on the globe, the Humanity Star is designed to be a bright symbol and reminder to all on Earth about our fragile place in the universe.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
It didn't blow up, so excited! This is pretty cool too, not quite as cool as a big fucking rocket.

The Humanity Star
A lot of people not happy about this, basically calling it sky graffiti. Always wondered why some countries didn't make their satellites super visible, just to be dicks.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

meStevo

<Silver Donator>

JWST is to be launched on an Ariane 5...

Edit:

The SES 14 and Al Yah 3 satellites are in orbit after tonight's launch, sources tell Spaceflight Now.

The SES 14 spacecraft carries an all-electric propulsion system that could give that satellite an advantage in overcoming any orbital shortfall. The xenon-fueled thrusters are more efficient the conventional liquid-fueled engines.

Al Yah 3's main orbital adjust engine is a hydrazine-fueled thruster more commonly used on commercial communications satellites.
Live coverage: Ariane 5 suffers anomaly – Spaceflight Now

Edit: Looks like it didn't fail. Just a telemetry failure.

Good news!

Last edited:
  • 1Like

MrHolland420

KRA! KRA!
<Silver Donator>

Same here something like 80+ days, I love tracking shit like this, just watched the ISS with magnitude of -3.5 go over my night sky last night. Does it say what kinda magnitude this satellite might be able to achieve? I didn't read too much into it, just looked at the tracking.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Oldbased

> Than U
I hadn't been paying much attention to Rocket Labs. I guess that is why they did the Humanity Star. Carbon rockets with mostly 3d printed engines that they can print in 24 hours is pretty neat. Sure it isn't a self landing rocket but oxygen/kerosene printed engines isn't too shabby. All these companies advancing tech.

• 1Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Hopefully no one else bothered getting up super early for the "Super Blue Blood Moon." Even though I'm in California which was supposed to be one of the best places to see it, it was a gigantic disappointment.

It's no wonder people roll their eyes at shit like the solar eclipse (something I found absolutely worth travelling across the country for, and plan to do again) when astronomers hype up things like this.

Yeah, it's super rare, but it's also almost identical to the super common "normal full moon."

• 1Like

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I was up. I went out and looked a few times. It was getting really red about the time the moon set behind the trees here.

• 1Like