The Astronomy Thread

Zaara

I'm With HER ♀
'Open-source' evidence potentially showing fossils/organic patterns on Mars.

tumblr_p3hxm1a3hk1qbpwkro1_1280.jpg

tumblr_p3hxm1a3hk1qbpwkro3_1280.jpg

tumblr_p3hxm1a3hk1qbpwkro6_1280.jpg

An Interesting Picture From Mars (Updated) - Astrobiology

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Those "fossils" are aligned and seem to be separated by regular intervals. Looks more like track from the rover's wheels...

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Those look like small pits burned into the rock. The rover uses a laser beam to zap rocks and analyze the vapor released, so I'm guessing that's what they are.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Furry

BROWN NOW
<Gold Donor>
Whatever it is, the uniformity of it is a strong indicator of not being organic fossils.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Zaara

I'm With HER ♀
Marks from the laser have already been suggested. I'm curious as to why there's no information about the size/scale of the rock and the marks themselves, but the guy arguing that the scale is incorrect for rover tracks also doesn't seem to realize the camera that took the picture is attached to Curiosity, so...

• 1Like

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>

A University of Oklahoma astrophysics team has discovered for the first time a population of planets beyond the Milky Way galaxy. Using microlensing--an astronomical phenomenon and the only known method capable of discovering planets at truly great distances from the Earth among other detection techniques--OU researchers were able to detect objects in extragalactic galaxies that range from the mass of the Moon to the mass of Jupiter.​

• 7Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 7 users

khorum

Murder Apologist
So SpaceX's most recent launch for SES used a pre-flown rocket and it wasn't supposed to be recoverable. But SpaceX actually wanted to test an emergency protocol where the rocket would use retrothrust to avoid damaging a droneship...

...and that expendable rocket wasn't actually expended. It survived the procedure and SpaceX is towing it back to shore:

gqxcoqk4gzczjktjngzs.png

• 3Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
So SpaceX's most recent launch for SES used a pre-flown rocket and it wasn't supposed to be recoverable. But SpaceX actually wanted to test an emergency protocol where the rocket would use retrothrust to avoid damaging a droneship...

...and that expendable rocket wasn't actually expended. It survived the procedure and SpaceX is towing it back to shore:

Very cool. Obviously landing on the droneship is preferable, but I wonder how much easier it is to land it in the water, and whether that'll become a standard procedure for rocket landings who partially fail on the way down.

I know I'd feel better landing in one of these things if I knew that it was either land a rocket on pavement or explode.

• 2Like

Tripamang

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Very cool. Obviously landing on the droneship is preferable, but I wonder how much easier it is to land it in the water, and whether that'll become a standard procedure for rocket landings who partially fail on the way down.

I know I'd feel better landing in one of these things if I knew that it was either land a rocket on pavement or explode.

I want to say having it land in the ocean opens it up to more a more costly refurbishment because the salt water can damage the rocket. I remember some of the parts on the space shuttle were supposed to be resuable that fell into the ocean but ended up costing a ton of money/time to refurbish them almost negating any money they were supposed to save.

• 3Like

Oldbased

> Than U
I want to say having it land in the ocean opens it up to more a more costly refurbishment because the salt water can damage the rocket. I remember some of the parts on the space shuttle were supposed to be resuable that fell into the ocean but ended up costing a ton of money/time to refurbish them almost negating any money they were supposed to save.
Ya, salt water is the enemy of pretty much everything. That rocket is well spent though but recovering it will allow all sorts of data to be gained such as how it fared after multiple uses, damage caused by salt water, water impact structure damage and so forth. Data is good, it is the best way to learn.

• 2Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Ya, salt water is the enemy of pretty much everything. That rocket is well spent though but recovering it will allow all sorts of data to be gained such as how it fared after multiple uses, damage caused by salt water, water impact structure damage and so forth. Data is good, it is the best way to learn.
Specially since it is free, because they were not supposed to get that booster back.

• 2Like

Dandain

Trakanon Raider

When Falcon Heavy lifts off, it will be the most powerful operational rocket in the world by a factor of two. With the ability to lift into orbit nearly 64 metric tons (141,000 lb)---a mass greater than a 737 jetliner loaded with passengers, crew, luggage and fuel--Falcon Heavy can lift more than twice the payload of the next closest operational vehicle, the Delta IV Heavy, at one-third the cost.

Falcon Heavy's first stage is composed of three Falcon 9 nine-engine cores whose 27 Merlin engines together generate more than 5 million pounds of thrust at liftoff, equal to approximately eighteen 747 aircraft.

Following liftoff, the two side boosters separate from the center core and return to landing sites for future reuse.

The center core, traveling further and faster than the side boosters, also returns for reuse, but lands on a drone ship located in the Atlantic Ocean.

At max velocity the Roadster will travel 11 km/s (7mi/s) and travel 400 million km (250 million mi) from Earth.

Falcon Heavy was designed from the outset to carry humans into space and restores the possibility of flying missions with crew to the Moon or Mars.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Rabkorik

Silver Knight of the Realm
Is the plan to actually have the car orbit Mars or just go by it? Will there be any video of Mars?

• 1Like

Oldbased

> Than U
I look forward to all the future scifi movies needing the car to survive somehow and risky harpooning missions floating in space to nab it.

• 1Like