The Astronomy Thread

tad10

Elisha Dushku
You're quoting NASA to prove that it could happen?

NASA?

The same NASA whose budget gets slashed all the time?

The same NASA whose programs get cut and repurposed anytime a new administration comes in?

Do you realize we haven't been back to the moon in 40 years? That we no longer have a mannned space vehicle? That we need to rely on the Russians?

NASA?

Anyone who thinks NASA is going to do anything beyond send out the odd Mars probe in the next twenty years is retarded.

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
You're quoting NASA to prove that it could happen?

NASA?

The same NASA whose budget gets slashed all the time?

The same NASA whose programs get cut and repurposed anytime a new administration comes in?

Do you realize we haven't been back to the moon in 40 years? That we no longer have a mannned space vehicle? That we need to rely on the Russians?

NASA?

Anyone who thinks NASA is going to do anything beyond send out the odd Mars probe in the next twenty years is retarded.
Oh Jesus Freefalling Christ. You worship every crumb of half-truth the SOE marketing team spews about EQN as if it were the Gospel, yet you sayNASAis going to falsely advertise theactions being taken to achieve their plans?

It's as if you're trying to set a world record forfullest retador something.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Ifyou have anything that resembles a thought about the Constellation program, I truly appreciate that you kept it to yourself.
Good to see you're no longer arguing that anyone should believe NASA's plans with respect to anything except the occasional Martian probe.

@Tuco Lol

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
Good to see you're no longer arguing that anyone should believe NASA's plans with respect to anything except the occasional Martian probe.
I don't get it. Is this one of those posts where you try to say the dumbest thing possible because you think it's funny? Or do you actually believe that what you said is something other than brain damaged spit bubble gurgling retardation?

P.S. Tuco: I take science seriously. I treat Dunning-Kruger effect sufferers with all due respect. They're two different things, but I have to admit that I do enjoy both of them.
smile.png

tad10

Elisha Dushku
I don't get it. Is this one of those posts where you try to say the dumbest thing possible because you think it's funny? Or do you actually believe that what you said is something other than brain damaged spit bubble gurgling retardation?

P.S. Tuco: I take science seriously. I treat Dunning-Kruger effect sufferers with all due respect. They're two different things, but I have to admit that I do enjoy both of them.
smile.png
All you got left is ad hominems, eh? Major fail. Goodbye old chum.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
NASA is nothing but an old cripple now. And it's our collective faults.
There is only so much money to hand out. Current NASA is the result of the War on Poverty, increased payments to Welfare & Medicare and etc. In short the baby boomers fucked us again.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Current NASA is the result of the War on Poverty, increased payments to Welfare & Medicare and etc.
You honestly think that if we spent less on "entitlement" programs, the government would throw it at NASA?

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
There is only so much money to hand out. Current NASA is the result of the War on Poverty, increased payments to Welfare & Medicare and etc. In short the baby boomers fucked us again.
The bank bail outs (you know welfare for the rich) cost the taxpayers more money than the entire running budget of NASA. The only hope for you is that you are a troll, I find it hard to believe someone is legitimately as stupid as you appear.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
The bank bail outs (you know welfare for the rich) cost the taxpayers more money than the entire running budget of NASA. The only hope for you is that you are a troll, I find it hard to believe someone is legitimately as stupid as you appear.
The Bank bailouts weren't responsible for the demise of our Moon Program. The War on Poverty and the Vietnam War were.

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
All you got left is ad hominems, eh? Major fail. Goodbye old chum.
Did you expect me to take your strawman seriously? My ad hominem attack was entirely justified by the sheer stupidity of what you had said.

Oh no one doubts that. The question is whether you take it personally.
Nah, I don't work for or with NASA in any way. It's kind of funny now that you make a point of it. I've never really bellyfelt how people can get so attached to particular sports teams, political parties, nationalities, etc, and consequently take things said about "their" team so personally. So no, I'm not defending the honor of NASA or Science because I have an irrational personal attachment to them.

My butthurt stems from things that are more down to Earth and tangible. For example: people who aren't able to differentiate between fact and opinion, people who have far more "confidence" than knowledge.

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
Actually, at the time, more people were against spending all those billions on the Apollo program than were for it. NASA got the funding it did because lots of stuff NASA does is useful to the military. One reason we had shuttles instead of capsules was because the military wanted the ability to deliver larger payloads to orbit.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
LOL at the welfare/social services comment concerning NASA's budget. The United States has spent more on the war in Iraq and Afghanistan than the whole entirety of NASA's existence. I mean.....yeah.

Defense spending is at an all-time high. There should be a precedent set that requires NASA to get a certain % of funding based on the amount of current military spending. That would never happen but that would be fucking awesome as contractors would put thousands to work through the government and NASA would have an exponentially higher budget which to work from and things like a new space vehicle wouldnt even be an issue. But sadly NASA is strapped and is extremely limited in what they can do right now, which is why the ISS will continue to be their "hallmark" for now as they hitch rides on Soyuz.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
i'm sure more money was spent on pork for back home too, the point is there was alot of money thrown around both military and social and nasa didn't get any.