The Authoritative Final Fantasy & Bravely Default thread

Angelwatch

Trakanon Raider
I picked up the FFX HD bundle. 10 was always very polarizing. People either really liked it or really hated it and there didn't seem to be much in between. I'm one who actually really liked 10 and thought it was among the best in the series. For us Americans, it adds a lot of extras that we didn't get with our PS2 versions but beyond that the games are, essentially, the same. Graphics are an improvement but they are just remastered so they're better than the old PS2 versions (which tend to be grainy) but not as good as a native PS3 game.

Angelwatch

Trakanon Raider
Lots of text
Yeah, I'm not disagreeing with you. The games really do look great. Especially compared to how grainy the originals were due to lack of HD TVs and the inherent PS2 limitations. I guess I'm just spoiled by a game like Lightning Returns where everything looks amazing. But I guess that isn't a truly fair comparison though because Lightning Returns came at the very end of the generation and really pushes the system to its limits.

And I'm one of 3 people who really liked X-2. Despite all of the girl power stuff I was very happy with how they wrapped up the story. And it's always fun to play "dress up" with hot video game chicks.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I picked up the vita version of X/X-2, looks just as good as most other vita games. I am really a fan of RPGs on portable devices, so it's been pretty fun. I still really like the sphere system for the most part, I just forgot how tedious they made some shit in that game, like dodging 200 lightning strikes in a row. Who the fuck though "I bet the players would think that's fun"?

Crell_sl

shitlord
Just got FFX remake for PS3. Pretty good overhaul, plus now I don't have to emulate the international version for the optionals!

Does remind me how much I hate blitzball, atleast the first game. The OCD in me makes it so I have to win... :\ On try 10 now.

Crell_sl

shitlord
Yeah, I'm not disagreeing with you. The games really do look great. Especially compared to how grainy the originals were due to lack of HD TVs and the inherent PS2 limitations. I guess I'm just spoiled by a game like Lightning Returns where everything looks amazing. But I guess that isn't a truly fair comparison though because Lightning Returns came at the very end of the generation and really pushes the system to its limits.

And I'm one of 3 people who really liked X-2. Despite all of the girl power stuff I was very happy with how they wrapped up the story. And it's always fun to play "dress up" with hot video game chicks.
X-2 was great if you ignore the dialouge. The combat system was impressive.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Does remind me how much I hate blitzball, atleast the first game. The OCD in me makes it so I have to win... :\ On try 10 now.
Hahaha. I just started the remake of FF X myself, and while I was in the opening area, seeing the Blitizball match, I was thinking about the dreaded first match that I have to win too.... I redid that so many times in the original...

And the lightning dodges.... That too.... I think it is 300 though, not 200... I had all the ultimate weapons and such on my PS2.... I am not sure why I am playing this again, don't think there is a game I have completed as completely as FF X. Maybe this will turn into my first ever platinum trophy!

... Just remembered all the alphabet spheres I have to get too... never mind. Not going to platinum this.

Dalien

Registered Hodor
And the lightning dodges.... That too.... I think it is 300 though, not 200...
It's 200 dodges, finally completed it last night after getting over 150 a couple times and messing up (and nearly breaking my controller...). Just a heads up, it's harder to do on this release because of HDTV input lag. Make sure you enable "Game Mode" on your TV if it has it. I wasn't able to dodge a single bolt before enabling Game Mode (it also helps with stuff like hitting Tidus and Wakka's overdrives). Anyways, use the crater in the southern half of the plains if you want a much easier time of things, lightning almost always strikes when you enter it:

Crell_sl

shitlord
Finally won the first blitzball match. 1 - 1 in overtime, CPU decided for a hail mary shot from midfield. Goalie caught it, managed to work it down field then tried a lucky longpass to Wakka (bad idea... dude can't catch a ball to save his own life), he funbled of course but Letty recovered it and I was able to short pass to Wakka. No blocks, and a venom shot later and boom. 2-1. Game has some pretty amazing moments.

edit: totally worth it for the str sphere. Going to make Auron hit like a truck.

Angelwatch

Trakanon Raider
The opening game Blitzball strategy that has always worked for me:

First half: Do nothing but pass the ball around. It's vital that Tidus gains a level here.
At halftime: Equip Tidus with the Jecht Shot
Opening part of 2nd Half: Drive Tidus towards the goal and score with Jecht Shot. Then get the ball, set controls to manual and swim behind your own goalie.
Last part of 2nd Half: Get the ball, set to manual, and swim behind your own goalie.

When you swim behind your own goalie, the AI doesn't know what to do so the opposing players just swim in circles.

Xalara

Golden Squire
Did anyone listen to the audio drama yet? It wouldn't surprise me if FFX-3 is in the works given the way it ends.

Angelwatch

Trakanon Raider
Did anyone listen to the audio drama yet? It wouldn't surprise me if FFX-3 is in the works given the way it ends.
In a lot of ways I hope that there isn't a FFX-3 in the works. I think X-2 ended the series pretty well. I was happy with the real / extended endings and I think anything else would just be mucking up the series. I'd still buy it, probably, but I wouldn't be happy about it!

Xalara

Golden Squire
Well the audio drama leaves the ending wide open as:

the whole of Spira is in crisis: the dead are walking the land, Tiidus and Yuna have broken up, Tiidus is sick, and oh by the way Sin is back which is where it ends.

Fadaar

That guy
Is there any timeframe of games like FFX-HD coming to PS4? I'd love to buy it but my PS3 is dead. Luckily my roommate has a functional PS3 and PSN so I can just give him the money to buy it for me if need be.

Angelwatch

Trakanon Raider
Is there any timeframe of games like FFX-HD coming to PS4? I'd love to buy it but my PS3 is dead. Luckily my roommate has a functional PS3 and PSN so I can just give him the money to buy it for me if need be.
Final Fantasy XV is still scheduled for sometime this year (most likely 4th quarter) but I wouldn't be surprised if it gets pushed into early 2015. I've heard that they're working on a PS4 Tales game as well but no time frame has been announced.

As sad as it is, a lot of us early adopters got a PS4 on the theory that we'll get some good JRPGs but, right now, we don't have a lot of announcements to back that up. It's just a good, educational, guess based on JRPGs selling much better on the Playstation than they did on the Xbox. After all, a lot of COD Bros don't play JRPGs. Just look at Tales of Vesperia as an example. They released it for the 360 as a "test" and Microsoft paid some decent money to get it on their system. But compared to other games, it sold horribly.

Angelwatch

Trakanon Raider
I'm one of those weird people who actually like Blitzball and got pretty good at it.

The first thing to keep in mind is that the first few games are brutal and you will lose. The main thing to do is focus on gaining some levels. I also dropped Datto, immediately, because he sucks. Zev Ronso in Luca is a really good replacement, starts at level 1 but has decent stats overall. You really don't need a second shooter since, with a few levels, Tidus is going to be scoring all of your points anyway. So overall stats are more important in my mind for the other two forwards to get the ball and then get it over to Tidus.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Final Fantasy XV is still scheduled for sometime this year (most likely 4th quarter) but I wouldn't be surprised if it gets pushed into early 2015. I've heard that they're working on a PS4 Tales game as well but no time frame has been announced.

As sad as it is, a lot of us early adopters got a PS4 on the theory that we'll get some good JRPGs but, right now, we don't have a lot of announcements to back that up. It's just a good, educational, guess based on JRPGs selling much better on the Playstation than they did on the Xbox. After all, a lot of COD Bros don't play JRPGs. Just look at Tales of Vesperia as an example. They released it for the 360 as a "test" and Microsoft paid some decent money to get it on their system. But compared to other games, it sold horribly.
Well, it isn't a jrpg (but few things except remakes are these days, I wouldn't call Lightning returns a JRPG either), but Deep Down is due this year isn't it? On PS4.

Don't know much about it, but I am hoping it is Dragons Dogma 2 Online. I thought Dragons Dogma was a really good game, one of the best action fighting systems of last gen, and if they manage to create one where the Pawns are other players in a persistent online world, that has the potential to be fantastic. Think it is intended as a F2P game.

Will most likely see more jrpgs coming to the PS3 this year. New tales game and Persona 5 are both due this year I think. Doubt we will start getting yearly rpg releases for next gen systems until 2015/16.

Siliconemelons

ahhh bravely default....

took the plundge into Chapter 7 after doing the 'bad' ending - the difficulty ramp up on the bosses and multi astrix fights is rough- and i am level 71.. i even got everyone level 9 valk to try and do a hasten world cheeze but no one is fast nuff...lol... have not really touched the game... the normal baddies got no difficulty jump nor JP jump so I am suck farming at like 200-300jp per battle...and i am lazy haha so boo. I hope to finish it up soon just so I could kill that cunt airy... I knew she was a no good bitch! I think they are taking past aggression from navi out on this one guys! haha