The Beer Thread

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
A Dogfish Head rep was there. Peddling some seriously strong shit. Most beers were over 15%. Fort, 120 Minute, Higher Math, Raison d'Extra. 120 Minute was easily the worst of all of them. Pennsylvania Tuxedo is seriously good though.

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
I think 120 min drinks more like a brandy than a beer. I have a bottle of each of the last four batches I am going to age for a while.
The 20th Anniversary Higher Math was really great - tasted like a boozy chocolate covered cherry. I drank one fresh and have another stashed for a rainy day

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
I'm going to a beer fest next weekend in Boston, where they'll be pouring an experimental IPA that's 650 something IBUs. I think maybe I'll try it last, or else it will wreck my palate. Wonder how tolerant the GF will be about waiting in the super long lines...

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah I gotta agree with Alex, it just wasn't very good. I personally love the Dogfish 90 minute, but the 120 is not something I would ever bother with again.

Oh, and here is the picture. Even though these glasses weren't the 120. I believe this was the Penn Tuxedo, which was fucking delicious.

rrr_img_124344.jpg

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
I'm going to a beer fest next weekend in Boston, where they'll be pouring an experimental IPA that's 650 something IBUs. I think maybe I'll try it last, or else it will wreck my palate. Wonder how tolerant the GF will be about waiting in the super long lines...
Make sure you wear your raw denim.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
People wait in line for zombie dust which is kind of weird I guess considering I can get a six pack or two every Tuesday from the Whole Foods next to my office. I guess you just need to know who sells it and when.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Clown Shoes and Pretty Things tap takeover tonight. I'm going to need to take an entire week off for the cumulative hangover after Beer Week is over. Today has been a struggle.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
EBF? The lines aren't usually too bad outside of a handful of the breweries

Pagan

Lord Nagafen Raider
I would agree on the 120min. I have had a twice; bottle and keg. Both times it was great but not something I would want to drink daily when it comes to beer.

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
EBF? The lines aren't usually too bad outside of a handful of the breweries
Yep EBF. I haven't been before. Unless Treehouse releases all of their beers the day of EBF at the brewery (which I'll be stopping at enroute) then I will start with them. They've got two on there I haven't had. Then I'd like to try some lighter beers to make sure I don't get tanked in the first 45 minutes. Have you been to EBF before?

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Yep EBF. I haven't been before. Unless Treehouse releases all of their beers the day of EBF at the brewery (which I'll be stopping at enroute) then I will start with them. They've got two on there I haven't had. Then I'd like to try some lighter beers to make sure I don't get tanked in the first 45 minutes. Have you been to EBF before?
I've been several times. It's not worth the price of admission anymore if you ask me. It used to be all about experimental and actual "extreme" beers and breweries would actually make or bring stuff specific to that theme. The last time I went it was more of a "Let's bring our highest ABV normal beer and then a bunch of our other standard stuff to fill in the gaps". That was 2 years ago I think.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
For the hop-heads out there, Melvin Brewing is doing a 9 state release/event for their double (triple?) IPA 2x4. I would put it in the "World Class" category for IPAs and usually will go out of my way to get some if I learn that it is going on tap somewhere near me. If you are near a participating bar I'd recommend you go grab a pint.

Melvin Brewing is Coming to Seattle - Beer News

CALIFORNIA
? San Diego:
Hamilton?s Tavern, 1521 30th Street, San Diego 92102

COLORADO
? Boulder:
Backcountry Tap House, 2319 Arapahoe Ave, Boulder 80302
Backcountry Nederland, 20 Lakeview Drive, Nederland
? Denver:
Falling Rock, 1919 Blake Street, Denver 80202
Hops and Pie, 3920 Tennyson Street, Denver 80212
? Fort Collins:
Tap and Handle, 307 S College Avenue, Fort Collins 80524

IDAHO
? Boise:
Bier Thirty Bottle & Bistro, 3073 S Bown Way, Boise 83706
Pre Funk Beer Bar, 1100 West front Street, Boise 83702
Twisted Timber ? 4563 Cloverdale Road, Boise 83709

MARYLAND
? Baltimore:
Alewife, 21 N Eutaw Street, Baltimore 21201

MASSACHUSETTS
? Boston:
Lord Hobo, 92 Hampshire Street, Cambridge

NEW YORK
? New York:
Alewife NYC, 5-14 51st Ave, Long Island City 02139

OREGON:
? Portland:
N.W.I.P.A.,6350 SE Foster Road, Portland 97206
Roscoe?s, 81-5 SE Stark Street, Portland 97215
The BeerMongers, 1125 SE Provision Street, Portland 97202
Apex, 1216 SE Division Street, Portland 97202

WASHINGTON
? Seattle:
Brouwer?s Caf?, 400 North 35th Street, Seattle 98103
Toronado, 1205 NE 65th Street, Seattle 94115
Pinebox, 1600 Melrose Avenue, Seattle 98122
Beveridge Place Pub, 6413 California Avenue SW, Seattle 98136
? Bellingham:
Elizabeth Station, 1400 W Holly Street, Bellingham 98225
The Copper Hog Gastropub, 1327 North State Street, Bellingham 98225
McKay?s Taphouse and Pizzeria, 1118 E Maple Street, Bellingham 98225
Trainwreck bar and grill 427 E Farihaven Ave, Bellingham 98233

WYOMING
? Jackson Hole:
Thai Me Up (original home of Melvin Brewing), 75 E Pearl Ave, Jackson, 83001

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Holy shit Shorts brewing out of MI is expanding distribution out of state. It's no New Glarus, but it's pretty fucking close. I think they're only going a single state out, so that sucks...

I'm heading out to Seattle in late Feb, what should I buy (from the midwest), and what should I get to bring home?

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
Yeah - people that missed out are trading crazy rare / retired beers for a ticket. Wish I had known I'd have been that guy to buy and leverage it.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I went on a brewery tour at Boulevard Brewing here in KC over the weekend. The tour guide was great but one thing he said really made an impression on me.

Boulevard is the #9 largest brewery in the US, so they aren't small by any means but he said that compared to #1 Budweiser, Boulevard produces the same amount of beer per year as Budweiser does every 18 hours.

That shit is crazy. We all see our favorite microbreweries gaining popularity but theyre so much smaller than the big 3 that they're almost completely inconsequential.