The Beer Thread

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
I love pear in sours, Hill Farmstead did one just recently - Flora with Pears and Peaches and it was really well done.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
Cross post from the Portland travel thread:

Any favorite Portland breweries? Any to avoid? Will be visiting this month and I'd like some local or "been there" opinions.

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
Novare Res is a killer bar if you haven't been there. Also really enjoyed The Thirsty Pig. For breweries, Foundation and Bissell Brothers are awesome if you dig IPAs. Substance cans to go for sure are a must from Bissell. Austin Street brewing is in the same building as Foundation and I really enjoyed their stuff too, but no cans or bottles to go there. Allagash generally lets me down every time but they do make a few good ones.

• 1Like

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
Novare Res is a killer bar if you haven't been there. Also really enjoyed The Thirsty Pig. For breweries, Foundation and Bissell Brothers are awesome if you dig IPAs. Substance cans to go for sure are a must from Bissell. Austin Street brewing is in the same building as Foundation and I really enjoyed their stuff too, but no cans or bottles to go there. Allagash generally lets me down every time but they do make a few good ones.

Whoops, other Portland. Oregon, not Maine.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I don't know any smaller breweries, but ive never been disappointed with anything from Deschutes

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
Epic has a sour apple saison that I think is really good.

Unrelated news, I met with my four "beer buddies" on Sunday night for our annual stout tasting. Here is this year's lineup. I think we overdid it, but I'm sure we'll do it again next year. The crowd favorite was the 2015 Epic Big Bad Baptist.

wgae8u0.jpg

• 1Like

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Was the Bourbon County any good? Even the "normal" versions are being reported as infected/off.

Also New Holland makes a few "flavored" Dragon's Milk... the coffee one is amazing, and the chai one is way better than it has a right to be.

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
Bourbon County is not one of my personal favorites (I find the bourbon flavor over-powering), but two of the guys are huge fans and have been buying it for years. No complaints from either of them. I'll keep an eye out for the other Dragon's Milk varieties. Last year's lineup was completely different aside from the KBS, BBB and Bourbon County.

oh and btw, that Stone Xocoveza is absolutely delicious

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
Unrelated news, I met with my four "beer buddies" on Sunday night for our annual stout tasting. Here is this year's lineup. I think we overdid it, but I'm sure we'll do it again next year. The crowd favorite was the 2015 Epic Big Bad Baptist.

That's a really nice line-up. I've had about 2/3rds of them, all good. Split among 5 people? LOLdrunk.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I just got back from Barcelona. Surprisingly respectable beer scene. Barcelona Brewing Company is very solid.

• 1Like

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
Hey...beer guys...is Great Divide Yeti Imperial Stout worth my while? I am at Costco and cannot seem to get out of the liquor dept.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Hey...beer guys...is Great Divide Yeti Imperial Stout worth my while? I am at Costco and cannot seem to get out of the liquor dept.
Yes.

It's a good imperial stout if you like the style, it's a great introduction to the style, and it's usually an awesome price for that style of beer (in general).

• 1Like

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
They have some german beer advent calendar at my costco I want to try. Anyone else tried it yet?