The Beer Thread

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
Thanks for the tip, Joe. I'll give that a shot after I finish off this round of beer purchases, which is likely to be sooner rather than later.

Ceythos_sl

shitlord
I went to the Victory at Sea Day event at Ballast Point on Sunday - I'll definitely be going back in years to come, and I'm kicking myself for missing it years past when I actually lived in San Diego. Thirty bucks got us a goblet that was supposed to house 5 pours at 4 oz each but they were more like 8 oz each, and a bomber of Victory that was Coffee Only to go. Standouts for me were the Three Sheets Rum Barrel Aged, Devil's Share Barrel Aged, and Bananas Foster versions. My buddies and I went to the Scripps Ranch/Old Grove location (nostalgia, we used to go there a lot when I worked at SoE) - the only line was right when the doors opened.

Then my friends reminded me that Mission Brewery released their Bourbon Barrel Aged Dark Seas in bottles on Friday so we went downtown to grab a few bottles. This year's seems an improvement over the last 2 releases, if anyone out there is keeping tabs.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
That is awesome, where did you find it? I have been wanting to try that forever.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
SF Beer Week is starting a couple weeks early this year. Time to start booking my nights and days for one of my most expensive weeks of the year! I may take a day off work to get my hands on some Pliny the Younger this year.

SF Beer Week 2016

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
So I know we talked about it last year, Alex, but I think I may actually be able to make it out this year. Wife isn't pregnant and things have calmed down around here a bit.

Would love to head out and grab a beer with you possibly. Still have yet to get my hands on a Younger, still not sure if I want to wait in line, but I do really want to try it.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
So I know we talked about it last year, Alex, but I think I may actually be able to make it out this year. Wife isn't pregnant and things have calmed down around here a bit.

Would love to head out and grab a beer with you possibly. Still have yet to get my hands on a Younger, still not sure if I want to wait in line, but I do really want to try it.
If you don't care about having it at RR and one of the bars around town lucky enough to score a keg works for you, you should be able to get a taste of PTY w/o (much of) a line.

When is PLINY THE YOUNGER available?
Pliny the Younger is always released the first Friday each February. The same will hold true for 2016, even with the Super Bowl in the Bay Area. Though PTY release normally falls with-in SFBW, please keep in mind we've been releasing PTY the first Friday of February before the inception of SFBW. Additionally, since we started making PTY in 2005, it has always been released in early February (we did once brew it mid-year and poured it at GABF). We will continue with the three pour wrist bands and three hour table limit to ensure the line continues moving. In 2015 only one night did we close with a line (20 people) and we never ran out of beer at closing. Thanks for your support!

Alex

Still a Music Elitist

I'm down. I haven't gone through the entire list of events yet. The home brewer event is always a must-go for me though. All-you-can-drink for $35 or so. And some of those home brews are very, very good. With many I tried a couple years ago opening their own brew pubs in the city now.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Opened up the8 Maidslast week. Have very little experience with milk stouts, so not much to compare with, but thought this was fantastic. Very smooth for over 11%, went down like 5 or 6.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
I'm down. I haven't gone through the entire list of events yet. The home brewer event is always a must-go for me though. All-you-can-drink for $35 or so. And some of those home brews are very, very good. With many I tried a couple years ago opening their own brew pubs in the city now.
I only glanced at some of them, but one that jumped out which I think I want to hit up is HOPOCALYPSE DAY: Imperial IPA Festival at Drake's.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Opened up the8 Maidslast week. Have very little experience with milk stouts, so not much to compare with, but thought this was fantastic. Very smooth for over 11%, went down like 5 or 6.
Can I snag this anywhere? Will give it a shot next weekend.

BTW the Dogfish 120 is the most potent beer I have tried. Two of them knocked me on my ass. Like I went nighty night in like an hour. VERY rough taste.