The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I'm just really confused as to who the target audience for the steam box is. For most people that prefer consoles, it does nothing to address why they prefer the console to begin with (in my opinion at least). For PC gamers they aren't really gaining much, since almost every PC gamer already has an active steam account.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Steam box lost me with that unbelievably retarded controller design. Not that Linux-based hardware ever got my attention very much in the first place, but that controller... wow.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Steam box lost me with that unbelievably retarded controller design. Not that Linux-based hardware ever got my attention very much in the first place, but that controller... wow.
The WiiU pad looked like a uncomfortable POS when I first saw it but when I actually used it was one of the most comfortable controllers I've ever used. Don't knock something till you have tried it. I reserve judgement on the Steam controller. Valve has put a ton of resources into developing something that is better than analog sticks(which are terrible for fps's). I pray to the gods they get it right because the paradigm needs to change.

Column_sl

shitlord
Which is dumb anyway.

On the console you are pretty much on an even playing field with almost everyone playing on a pad.
With the steam box you are going to be playing against mouse/KB with a much inferior controller.

There is no fucking point..
Now if Valve ever decides to make a true console then it might be interesting.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Was at Gamestop buying my wife Journey for her birthday and some dude walked in and asked if he could reserve a launch day PS4. Man what a noob... they nicely told him no and the dude got a little irate and didn't understand why if he paid it off today he couldn't "get ahead" of everyone else. Welcome to video games.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Was at Gamestop buying my wife Journey for her birthday and some dude walked in and asked if he could reserve a launch day PS3. Man what a noob... they nicely told him no and the dude got a little irate and didn't understand why if he paid it off today he couldn't "get ahead" of everyone else. Welcome to video games.
He literally asked for a launch day ps3? Or ps4?

Cause a ps3 makes this story much better.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
He literally asked for a launch day ps3? Or ps4?

Cause a ps3 makes this story much better.
Sorry, PS4, typo heh.

He did also ask for an xboner after and they said they weren't even taking preorders for it at all which made no sense to me.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Was at Gamestop buying my wife Journey for her birthday and some dude walked in and asked if he could reserve a launch day PS4. Man what a noob... they nicely told him no and the dude got a little irate and didn't understand why if he paid it off today he couldn't "get ahead" of everyone else. Welcome to video games.
I still bet that anyone needing a PS4 can probably get one on launch day in stores if the look diligently enough. After launch day the chances are close to nil but I'd bet on launch day he could.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The WiiU pad looked like a uncomfortable POS when I first saw it but when I actually used it was one of the most comfortable controllers I've ever used. Don't knock something till you have tried it. I reserve judgement on the Steam controller. Valve has put a ton of resources into developing something that is better than analog sticks(which are terrible for fps's). I pray to the gods they get it right because the paradigm needs to change.
It's not about whether it's comfortable or not, or even the batshit insane idea of using trackpads when anyone who owns a laptop knows what a fucking joke that is. It's about the fact that it simply won't work with console ports due to the placement of the buttons. Console games assume you can press the face buttons while moving the left stick. Valve put Square/Triangle (X/Y) right next to the left trackpad, making you have to stop moving in order to press them. Instead of a d-pad, you get a 2x2 grid of buttons on a touchpad--which could work I suppose, except for you ending up having to press the right side of it with your right thumb, when the d-pad is designed to be used solely with your left thumb in all normal games. Yeah, you could remap stuff from the d-pad to X/Y but who wants to deal with that shit? It's annoying enough to have to remap WASD to ESDF every time I play a kb/m game, when I play a game with my gamepad I expect the layout to be exactly the same as it is on the console version and not have to bother with remapping XInput bindings as well.

Bottom line, Valve can't just decide to make a whole new control scheme when none of the game makers will design for it.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
From what I've read, the steambox controller is mainly for KBM games that don't require fast reaction times. It won't be a substitute for KBM in any FPS.

spronk

FPS noob
I'm just really confused as to who the target audience for the steam box is. For most people that prefer consoles, it does nothing to address why they prefer the console to begin with (in my opinion at least). For PC gamers they aren't really gaining much, since almost every PC gamer already has an active steam account.
steam box is a long term thing, realize that new systems don't get traction until 2 or 3 iterations usually. you need to launch stuff though to learn, get exposure, figure out what works, and be in the right spot and time when your competitors make big mistakes. so steam box 1.0 will be shitty, hardly sell, but get some learning in. 2.0, 3.0, 4.0, etc will just get better and better and in 10 years it could be the universal platform on which games are written, and launched on whatever micro phone everyone has embedded in their heads using haptic full body suits as virtual reality interfaces. Oops, been reading too much Ready, Player One again.

Column_sl

shitlord
Valve should have just bought out the Occlus Rift team, and worked on a seamless interface for any game that launches off steam to work with that headset.

That's the future, not that stupid controller.

The Master

Bronze Squire
The PS3 cost Sony in the region of $5 billion dollars, and Sony is gambling nearly everything on the PS4.
Sony is a massive R&D hardware company. The development of the cell chip, and all losses related thereto, was billed to the games division. However that technology has made them "free" money in other sectors of their business. This is a function of the way we do accounting. That said, the PS3 turned a profit in the fourth fiscal quarter of 2010 (April-March the way the Japanese do it). They had a slow down in sales in general on all their hardware in 2012 and a weakening yen caused some issues as well, but overall the PS3 made money as of today and will continue to sell for the next several years at a very nice profit, just like the PS2 did. And that is in addition to the new technologies they developed and the fact that it contributed greatly to winning the format war, which is a huge deal because they own all the patents for Blu-Ray technology. None of those profits get attributed to the games division. Again, function of the way big business does accounting, but it isn't a big secret, they know where that tech and market share comes from.

Sony isn't "gambling" on anything. Though the PS4 is shaping up to be enormously profitable in the first year so not much of a risk here.

Sean_sl

shitlord
While technically sold for a loss, the margin is extremely small and a single purchase puts them into the black. I can't imagine there are many people buying the Wii U without buying any games or controllers.

Still, I can't believe a console with specs as dated as a Wii U is being sold for anything other than a decent profit.
Well, the tablet isn't cheap, which is the primary reason that it's still sold at a loss.

Yes, Nintendo isn't quite the mega-corp that Sony or Microsoft is, but they have no debt and have a whole fuckton of cash. The WiiU didn't help them in the least, but it barely did anything to them too. They make shittons of money on handhelds and their profits are going to skyrocket with Pokemon X/Y's release and no longer paying for R&D on the WiiU. So yeah, Nintendo can totally bomb on consoles (they have a few times) and it doesn't do shit to them and they're in absolutely no danger of getting out of any business.

They just need new leadership. If they get someone good in there it's likely that they'll come out swinging next time and actually do something competitive.