The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

Sean_sl

shitlord
Valve's got the cash and the vision to make it happen I dunno what there's even to argue about in this situation. Maybe if this was 2004 and they were just launching Steam and launching Steam OS and Steam box next to it, skepticism would be warranted, but this is 2013 almost 14 and Valve is one of the most profitable corporations on the planet with an installed user base in the multiple tens of millions.
Well, I don't think the arguments have been "if", they've more been "when". Some people think things might happen as soon as 2-3 years, others might say 7-10. There's also the degree of success. Maybe they're an even competitor, maybe they totally dominate.

Yeah, Valve has 65 million "Steam accounts". And there's 80 million X360s, 80 million PS3s, 150 million PS2s, 100 million Wiis, and 36 Wii Us. I think it's too early to say whether or not Valve will replace every single thing on the market.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Is that BeamNG an engine that is actually being used in any games, or just a tech demo?

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Well, I don't think the arguments have been "if", they've more been "when". Some people think things might happen as soon as 2-3 years, others might say 7-10. There's also the degree of success. Maybe they're an even competitor, maybe they totally dominate.

Yeah, Valve has 65 million "Steam accounts". And there's 80 million X360s, 80 million PS3s, 150 million PS2s, 100 million Wiis, and 36 Wii Us. I think it's too early to say whether or not Valve will replace every single thing on the market.
Oh I'm not saying they're going to just replace everything or anything.

But they have the dosh to make magic. And that's not going away anytime soon with the stranglehold they have on PC gaming.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Back on topic. Anyone getting the PS4 Eye? I'm thinking of picking it up as a fun family toy but I'm afraid the thing will be used for a month then forgotten about. Anyone got any good info on future uses etc?
I have not seen anything specifically designed for it outside of the free Playroom apps that come with the PS4. Maybe Just Dance uses it? I don't see any PS4 games on the confirmed release list that might use it besides that, but I could have missed something.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Is that BeamNG an engine that is actually being used in any games, or just a tech demo?
As far as I know it's a tech demo and has a driving simulator you can try. I haven't heard that they are in talks with any car simulators but I feel like soft physics is tech that's long overdue. I think part of the reason it's been held back is because for driving games it probably doesn't add a lot to the gameplay and for GTA style games they have such tight budgets for processing that adding computationally intensive physics models just doesn't make the cut.

I don't see any of those problems changing this generation and the impact of physx cards has been very minor because game developers just haven't made impressive physics engines critical enough to games for other outfits to copy them.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
PlayStation 4 Vs Xbox One: Why The Most Talked About Console May Not Be The Winner - Forbes

And even though PlayStation will get an extra week to sell consoles and build an early lead, SDL is predicting from its data that Xbox One will end up outselling its rival by 1.5 to 1 for the holiday season. That's less than how Xbox 360 outsold PS3 last year, but still a lead that goes against what you'd expect based on the relative amount of social buzz for each console so far.

"Right now they are neck and neck," High says. "But based on all the activity, we expect Xbox to move ahead."

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Xbox is going to win according to social sites! More tweets = more sales!

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Just trying to rustle.
biggrin.png

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
PlayStation 4 Vs Xbox One: Why The Most Talked About Console May Not Be The Winner - Forbes

And even though PlayStation will get an extra week to sell consoles and build an early lead, SDL is predicting from its data that Xbox One will end up outselling its rival by 1.5 to 1 for the holiday season. That's less than how Xbox 360 outsold PS3 last year, but still a lead that goes against what you'd expect based on the relative amount of social buzz for each console so far.

"Right now they are neck and neck," High says. "But based on all the activity, we expect Xbox to move ahead."
We'll see. The problem with models created for this is that there are very few data points to base your models on. I don't remember the release dates but as far as huge console releases within the same year what is there?

Either way trying to model what will get better sales is probably bullshit.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Everything is a guess at this point, but there are several people who work at stores confirming the very large disparity in pre-orders between the two systems. So while the long-term is a total guess, I don't think it's much of a gamble to say that the PS4 will outsell the Xbone by quite a bit during this holiday.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I wonder what the supply difference between xboner and PS4 really will be, because won't that actually be the deciding factor? They're both going to be sold out, it's a matter of who had more stock.

Sean_sl

shitlord
I wonder what the supply difference between xboner and PS4 really will be, because won't that actually be the deciding factor? They're both going to be sold out, it's a matter of who had more stock.
Yeah, it will be the deciding factor for launch. Going by every pre-order and supply allocation report it's fairly easy to assume that the PS4 has quite a bit more stock. Plus, cboat confirmed Xbone manufacturing issues months ago.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I think it could be a fun bet, Tuco.

Here's Sean's bet: 850,000,000 PS4's sold, 1 XboxOne sold to some ignorant fuck.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
hahaha. If people are interested I'll put up terms tomorrow and close entries before the ps4 launch. My initial thought is PS4 vs Xbone sales in US only.