The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

Asherah

Silver Knight of the Realm
But if a developer doesn't optimize specifically for the PS4, then that extra speed basically does nothing on a console. It's not like a PC where you can maybe up the resolution another notch because you have more horsepower, or up the anti-aliasing, shadows, or other graphical options. Console games rarely have options for those things. All that extra speed is going to do is up your game from running at 30FPS on a XB1 to maybe 35-40 FPS on your PS4. So no real noticable difference the vast majority of consumers. No developer will release a game that only runs at a shitty 20FPS on XB1, while it's silky smooth on a PS4. they'll downgrade graphic options to reach that minimum magical 30fps, and the PS4 version will end up getting those same lowered graphic options as well.

Now if next-gen console developers start giving us graphical options like PC games generally have, then the PS4 could actually stretch it's legs and show off that extra horsepower. But unless that happens, 95% of the time it'll just be going to waste.
While I agree with this to a large extent there could be some benefits. Firstly, quite a few console game suffer from frame rate drops when too much stuff happens on the screen. This would be less common on the more powerful console. Secondly, while the player might not get the option to for example turn up AA the developer could easily do it. I could also see them using higher quality textures (since they might want to produce these for the PC anyway). Would they bother to do this? Who knows.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Have they confirmed whether or not the Xbox One will have a 98% failure rate?
Of course not, but knowing their history and adding more possible points of failure doesn't seem like they'll be changing that too much. ><

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
EXTERNAL drives are not that expensive

90 bucks for an external 2 TB hard drive @ newegg. usb2 though, its ~120 for a 3tb usb one...

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
You'd also see a significant increase in: Loading times, animation(which would increase perceived smoothness), AI(pathfinding in particular is very IO bound), etc.'
I agree with all of that except load times. RAM generally has very little to do with load times in games, 99% of that is dependent upon the hard drive or disk drive. These things don't have so much RAM that they are going to be able to load up an entire game into RAM, you're still mostly going to be at the mercy of the hard drive for that.

Vaclav

But if a developer doesn't optimize specifically for the PS4, then that extra speed basically does nothing on a console. It's not like a PC where you can maybe up the resolution another notch because you have more horsepower, or up the anti-aliasing, shadows, or other graphical options. Console games rarely have options for those things. All that extra speed is going to do is up your game from running at 30FPS on a XB1 to maybe 35-40 FPS on your PS4. So no real noticable difference the vast majority of consumers. No developer will release a game that only runs at a shitty 20FPS on XB1, while it's silky smooth on a PS4. they'll downgrade graphic options to reach that minimum magical 30fps, and the PS4 version will end up getting those same lowered graphic options as well.

Now if next-gen console developers start giving us graphical options like PC games generally have, then the PS4 could actually stretch it's legs and show off that extra horsepower. But unless that happens, 95% of the time it'll just be going to waste.
Uh - not sure where you've been but there's been a number of games that have different "graphic options" on between 360 and PS3 versions already - anti-aliasing and shadows being different between versions being absolutes I recall seeing already done.

Sure, for a game where it's not PC as well, I can see them not bothering - but once they're already making a PC title with all the options most of the time they look at what settings are the best sweet spot between performance and quality between the consoles not just "make it the same and ship it".

Vaclav

And also slower having to interface through USB. I can't imagine having to load a game off of an external HD via USB. Sloooooooooooooooooooow
I don't think USB 3.0 is that slow for a normal drive (I think throughput wise it can carry more than a normal drive can read) - but would keibosh SSD'ing a X-1 of course.

Vaclav

EXTERNAL drives are not that expensive

90 bucks for an external 2 TB hard drive @ newegg. usb2 though, its ~120 for a 3tb usb one...
Bad time to check for regular pricing - they already started their Memorial Day sales. But does look like they brought down the price close to in line these days glancing at the non-sale prices. ($120 nonsale USB3.0 external vs. $100 nonsale internal - for 2TB at least)

Dom_sl

shitlord
I don't play consoles, but I must ask: Aren't people even slightly concerned that this daily connect thing also means that Microsoft can turn your entire purchased game collection into a bunch of paperweights with a ban of some sort? I'm assuming that a serious Xbox live ban meant at most you would have to buy a new console, but with this it could include a multi-thousand dollar collection. Steam can do the same, but only with steam purchased games, and they can be pirated if needed.

Del

Vyemm Raider
Obviously the Xbox One shits all over the PS4 in terms of TV Guide and Skype, but the following is how they compare when it comes to actual gaming performance:

Access speeds:

Xbox One @ 30fps: 2GB per frame
Xbox One @ 60fps: 1GB per frame

PS4 @ 30fps: 6GB per frame
PS4 @ 60fps: 3GB per frame

The PS4 memory setup is as simple as can be to program for and the amount for games is rumored to be 7GB.
With the Xbox One the devs will have to code logic for juggling data between the 5GB of DDR3 and the 32MB of ESRam for bandwidth important functionality (that will still be drastically slower than on the PS4).

Also don't forget that the PS4 has a 50% stronger GPU (1.8tf vs 1.2tf).

Nola

Trakanon Raider
I keep seeing these spec comparisons between the Xbox 1 and PS4. I'm not a tech guru but the differences between the two is minimal or we're talking about night and day difference?

Vaclav

I keep seeing these spec comparisons between the Xbox 1 and PS4. I'm not a tech guru but the differences between the two is minimal or we're talking about night and day difference?
On graphics, night and day - otherwise he seems to imply not so much.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
On graphics, night and day - otherwise he seems to imply not so much.
PS4 seems to have better graphics capabilities but no one is going bother taking full advantage of them unless the title is being designed exclusively for PS4 instead of just being a port, so the point is kinda moot.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
^^ Bingo. Also, I wonder what running two operating systems will do to processing power of the actual games.

Vaclav

Araysar: You seem to imply that they don't have different fidelity settings between 360 and PS3 that are closer than the difference already with sometimes one console dropping AA or Shadows versus the others, etc.

It's really annoying how many times people have brought up that same tired, and wrong, argument.

i.e.http://www.lensoftruth.com/head2head...ot-comparison/and dozens of other similar comparisons.