The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

Sean_sl

shitlord
You should just keep the PS4, it has much better hardware and will havefarmore and better exclusives as the years go on. Plus, PS+ will give it crazy value.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Small blurb on PlayStation now.

PlayStation Now actually works! (update: hands-on video)

Believe it when I see it. Either the latency will be an issue or the game selection/pricing will suck.
Latency will be a HUGE issue for a lot of games unless you have a badass fucking connection with super low latency hops and are close to a datacenter for it and even then it's still going to suck for some things.

Streaming Games is just going to be ass until there's a massive shift in our internet infrastructure and technology.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Streaming keeps getting better and better guys, I'm not sure why there's so much disbelief in this tech. I mean, shit, services are gonna start doing 4k streaming straight to some smart TV's this year. The bandwidth for something like that much be so much larger than a 720p game.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Streaming games is not streaming video though. I mean think real hard on that one. Maybe you can see a difference.

How is the PS4 controller battery life looking? I've heard it can last pretty short, and them being not replaceable is a tad worrisome

You should just keep the PS4, it has much better hardware and will havefarmore and better exclusives as the years go on. Plus, PS+ will give it crazy value.
Keep in mind I don't game very hardcore anymore so a lot of the exclusives aren't all that appealing to me. I'd probably use its entertainment features pretty often so PS+ is a plus but far from a gamechanger as well.

That said, the lower cost of entry (the extra $ could be put towards an old 360 for my old games and for features the PS4 doesn't have) may make it worth it

I shoulda just stuck with PC gaming. Never have to worry about next gen anything

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Streaming games is not streaming video though. I mean think real hard on that one. Maybe you can see a difference.
Yeah, a movie is linear and can buffer quite easily, a game has a ton of shit it has to buffer based on all the possible decisions the player can make. Some games might work ok, but the more complex ones I can't imagine working all too well.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The thing is, in the previous generation, Japan only amounted to about 6% of the global HD consoles market (PS3 + X360). I am not sure why it would change with the current gen.
It's more like 5.999999% PS3 in Japan and the 10 people who bought a Xbox 360 to play Street Fighter IV instead of going to the arcade in Japan.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
How is the PS4 controller battery life looking? I've heard it can last pretty short, and them being not replaceable is a tad worrisome
I get basically a full day out of mine with rumble off - about the same as PS3, maybe slightly worse, but feels less annoying since I can just charge it off a normal power plug as well. (Their cord into a USB power plug adapter charges it even with the charge light - others work too, but don't trigger the charging light, my phones charging app shows it as higher charge rate for the official cord)

Seananigans: There's nothing to buffer with how it operates - it literally does nothing but DISPLAY to you, your commands are sent to the remote console it doesn't predict ANYTHING locally. Latency will be what makes or breaks it, not throughput.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Played a bit of Don't Starve on my PS4.

The UI for the console version is super easy to use and intuitive. But... I'm not too into it. Just doesn't excite me much. Any pro tips to make it better?

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
Those games like Don't Starve, are the limited time on the PS network or you can keep playing as long as a member ?

(finally managed to get through the F5 game on Amazon and order one at retail price just now , course someone offering 200+ locally again will tempt me to do it again , the Xbox One stock still stacked up everywhere around here and zero PS4's to be had)

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
In enjoying it, read the wiki it is deeper than I thought from a casual check out. Pretty unforgiving as well.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Those games like Don't Starve, are the limited time on the PS network or you can keep playing as long as a member ?

(finally managed to get through the F5 game on Amazon and order one at retail price just now , course someone offering 200+ locally again will tempt me to do it again , the Xbox One stock still stacked up everywhere around here and zero PS4's to be had)
If your sub is active then you have access to all the games regardless if they are still available for free.

Gator

Molten Core Raider
If your sub is active then you have access to all the games regardless if they are still available for free.
As long as you have purchased/downloaded the game with your ps+ sub. Just want to add that so you didn't get confused.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
What would be really cool about the streaming shit is if you could play Vita games on PS4. So, you know, you don't have to buy one. I guess it's not gonna happen since it means they wouldn't be selling as many Vitas and shit but that'd be nice and I would definitely consider it if that was the case. Well, whenever I end up buying a PS4 that is.

Gator

Molten Core Raider
Does anyone know if Sony has plans to add grouping to the friends list? I would be awesome to able to have my rerolled group / RL group / BF4 group etc etc. it's going to get kinda crazy trying to remember who's who after awhile.

Hutchy

Lord Nagafen Raider
In the UK we have:Play on-demand video games over the internet - OnLive.com.
- Not sure if it's in the US?

I tried it a few years back when Deus Ex: Human Revolution came out, wasn't expecting much due to concerns with latency and actually came out of the experience incredibly impressed. The graphics quality is based around your bandwidth and with a controller I honestly didn't observe latency, as crazy as that sounds.

Plus they have a feature where you can drop in on anyone playing and watch them in actual real time rather than the crappy ps4 twitch streaming which is pretty cool when you are bored or taking a break.

edit: Seems they do have a USA version, give the free trial a go to see how the Playstation system will work.

Sean_sl

shitlord
What would be really cool about the streaming shit is if you could play Vita games on PS4. So, you know, you don't have to buy one. I guess it's not gonna happen since it means they wouldn't be selling as many Vitas and shit but that'd be nice and I would definitely consider it if that was the case. Well, whenever I end up buying a PS4 that is.
Closest thing you'll get to that is the VitaTV. They need to announce the western release of that shit soon.

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
Assuming they can keep latency under 200ms, it should be just fine... I mean, I used to compete "ok" back in the days of quakworld using a 400-450 ms ping, sure, my scores would get better if my dial-up would dip below 400, but I "could" at least play just fine... back when HPB and LPB were common internet slang. Player prediction isn't that much worse than video/input lag.

I mean we all play MMOs, moving out of void zones is essentially the same as this streaming service... Yes, we all had Australian guildmates that just weren't able to react in time to beat difficult content, but most single player games honestly aren't as hard as raiding in MMOs. Sub 1-second reaction time is fairly rare.

Angelwatch

Trakanon Raider
Any clue when Bioshock: Infinite will be added to PSN Plus? Or just January? Was hoping it would be added yesterday but no such luck.