The big thread of game industry fuck ups

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
rrr_img_20065.jpg

Caliane

Square-Enix keeps on shitting on their Eidos subsidiary, keeps blaming their western games for their problems:

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/04/08...e-coming-from/

Forecasting 5M units for a Hitman game. smh.

If anyone can explain how you can use the Metacritic score to budget a game, also I'd appreciate it. I guess it involves a time machine or something.
Or paying off critics.
It really just illustrates the mess that is AAA game creation, marketing currently.

Expecting tombraider to sell 6m. just insane. They must have been talking to Kurt.

Kingdom's of Amalur aside - I'd have to give the biggest fuckup award to Vanguard.

I don't think I've ever played a visionless, leaderless, underdeveloped game better than Vanguard. That game was an absolute fucking heart breaker.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
I have to say I loved rebellion, it crashed pretty often especially late game and was no where near as good as starcraft but it was much more in the vain of a Total War game than a pure RTS like starcraft. Just poor management biting off way more than they could chew and releasing with the 3D combat so laggy and without much real strategy to it. I hate seeing games like that fail when they really had some vision and brought some new features to the industry.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, I had such high hopes for Rebellion. I was never a big Warcraft II fan, so I wasn't too excited for Starcraft pre-release, I was all about SW: Rebellion on that day. I don't know how many people I talked into buying Rebellion that day along with Starcraft when they came to pick it up. I felt bad about recommending it and hyping it to so many people after I finally went home and played it that night. LOT of people returned Rebellion over the next couple weeks. I ended up liking the game alright despite all the problems, it just wasn't the epic game that I had hyped it up to be.

You also have to remember that this was the heyday of Lucasarts at the time, they hadn't put out a clunker in quite a while. In the couple years previous to Rebellion they had just released games like Dark Forces II, Xwing vs Tie Fighter, Grim Fandango, Curse of Monkey Island, Full Throttle, STar Wars rogue Squadron, The Dig, etc. They were on a roll, I thought they could do no wrong.

wantonsoup_sl

shitlord
Dead Island is almost up there with Aliens Colonial Marines sour pre-purchases for me. Never again will I pre-order anything now, no point.

Square Enix fail train keeps on going

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/article...om-the-heavens

Wada said. "I intended to do what had to be done, but these results came despite my best efforts. We are performing negatively in the Amusement sector, negative in EUR/NA console games, and although Social Media Games are doing well,MMO is not performing to the level we anticipated.
This is not about FF14, they had no revenue on that forecasted, FF11 is stable so... It turns out making Dragon Quest X a MMO was maybe not the best idea! WHO KNEW!?

rrr_img_20261.jpg

Here time for a Friday update, because fuck if the Games Industry can go 24 hours without some massive BS happening.

Electronic Arts: Fires 250+ in Montreal, closes a 2nd studio in as many months in the city. This studio used to have nearly 750 people, they'll be down to probably less than 100 with this (Bioware Montreal):

http://kotaku.com/massive-layoffs-hi...real-472502528

Tomb Raider PC/Steam: Square Enix removes the JAPANESE language pack in a patch, charges customers $30 for the JAPANESE LANGUAGE PACK DLC.

http://www.sqex-ee.jp/2013/04/-japan...uage-pack.html

Larry Probst is on a roll, EA is essentially shutting down most/all of their Facebook games including Sim City social which launched June 12 of last year. Total retreat from "social is the future". As a reminder, they paid$300Mto buy their way into that business a few years ago by purchasing Play Fish.

Player reactions are not good as you would expect:http://forum.playfish.com/showthread.php?t=2968221

Tripamang

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Dead Island is almost up there with Aliens Colonial Marines sour pre-purchases for me. Never again will I pre-order anything now, no point.
I can admit the games plot was terrible and the voice acting.. and some of the level designs, but I thoroughly enjoyed the game start to finish. So much so that I pre-purchased Riptide. The combat was a lot of fun.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Larry Probst is on a roll, EA is essentially shutting down most/all of their Facebook games including Sim City social which launched June 12 of last year. Total retreat from "social is the future". As a reminder, they paid$300Mto buy their way into that business a few years ago by purchasing Play Fish.

Player reactions are not good as you would expect:http://forum.playfish.com/showthread.php?t=2968221
That's kind of a shame. SimCity Social was actually fairly interesting as far as a Facebook game can go. I got bored with it after a month or so, but it was better than most shit I've fucked around with on there.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
That's kind of a shame. SimCity Social was actually fairly interesting as far as a Facebook game can go. I got bored with it after a month or so, but it was better than most shit I've fucked around with on there.
Yeah, but facebook finally beefed up their application controls, I know a few friends played farmville for a while, including me to know wtf is everybody talking about, but in last year I got literally zero messages about so and so inviting me to join him and I think they stopped too. Almost everyone I know uses facebook for messaging, scheduling events and sharing photos, that's it. And if somebody came up with better way to keep up with friends, there are tons of better image hosting services.