The Broken Empire Trilogy. Best series of all time

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Vlett

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm re-reading the whole universe before I dive into the Wheel. I love the contrast* of the heroes for sure. Interesting spin on the cowardly lion role.

Jorren

Maximum Derek
<Bronze Donator>
Just started on this series. Took a couple months away from binge reading everything by Sanderson. Time to get into the Summertime reading mode, this seems perfect for it so far.

spronk

FPS noob
Just finished books 1 - 3 as well, highly recommend em for anyone who is kinda bored of fantasy/scifi. The first trilogy definitely shakes things up from your standard storylines, one of the rare books where I would stay up long past my usual 10 minute reading time. I found a hard copy at my barnes and noble of the entire trilogy for $10, if the author ever rolls through town for a convention i'll definitely get him to sign it.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I read about 1/2 to 2/3 of the first book before I stopped. I didn't find the story or characters compelling at all.

I find most of the books recommended here to be good, this one just didn't hit the mark for me.

Rime

<Donor>
Good series, ending felt rushed as hell, though. Very big letdown compared to the rest of the books.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Cliche as it sounds... where there's a will there's a way. That's Malazan to a T.

We can talk when you concede that broken empire is but a child among men, compared to malazan.

• 1Like

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
Thought about picking these up a while back but they looked bit too try hard GRIMDARK so I didn't bother. Was that impression wrong?

khorum

Murder Apologist
It's pretty grimdark but give it a couple hundred pages. I enjoyed it quite a bit but I think Abercrombie's Half-a-War series was a better executed series on the same idea.

Furious

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Icarium and Karsa face off and Icarium immediately (and shockingly quickly) breaks Karsa’s sword. Karsa punches Icarium and Icarium goes unconscious. Mappo then knocks Karsa out from behind, then looks at the two and says, “Better than I could have hoped for I think.”

Ch14 HoC
Spoiler alert!

Karsa never KO'd Icarium.

• 1Like

Furious

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Icarium and Karsa face off and Icarium immediately (and shockingly quickly) breaks Karsa’s sword. Karsa punches Icarium and Icarium goes unconscious. Mappo then knocks Karsa out from behind, then looks at the two and says, “Better than I could have hoped for I think.”

Ch14 HoC
One of my favorite meeting by my 2 favorite characters of any books and it resolves in nonsense.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I believe nonsense is the only way that meeting could have resolved.

• 1Like