The D&D thread

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Most of this is just common sense. In the game I'm running now the BBEG was going to be the mother of one of the characters, and then that player's mom got diagnosed with an aggressive form of cancer. So with that in mind I pivoted the fuck away from that whole plotline because playing the game is a way for him to NOT think about that for a few hours a week.
Yeah, like I said it's really for new players to the table. You shouldn't need to have to read some safety tools to know whether or not something like that is too much for one of your close friends, but if you're not very close with some of your players for whatever reason, it's good to have SOMETHING set up for them on the off chance they're going through something

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
I take a much more streamlined approach. For anyone new wanting to play in one of the campaigns I run, I say "Hey, just FYI, I run dark and gritty R rated games. You ok with that?"

That's it. I never really find anything more than that is needed. Adults shouldn't need anything other than that imo. If you are playing with children it's a different story.

I think the issue is that all of Gen Z and a good portion of millenials are children- even though they are all technically adults.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Is this a race or a class? What book are they in?

Murderhobo is more like a tradeskill. I take it up when I've gotten tired of playing and DGAF anymore

I think the issue is that all of Gen Z and a good portion of millenials are children- even though they are all technically adults.

Yep. They say 30 is the new 20, but really, it's more like 40 is the new 20 at the moment. When I was a kid, 35 year olds were well-adjusted and had houses and families and you could look to them for guidance. Today, most of the 30-35 year olds I know are either medicated drama queens or overweight POP figure collectors.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Is it possible to learn this power?

Can only murderhobo in games that allow it. Usually just CRPGs. Nothing like being at the end of my rope with a game and just murdering everyone in sight. I'll reset the save if I have to, or just beat the game like that and get a bad ending.

What's up with the race/species thing? Aside from the half- thing which I don't get at all, I later found out about the "species" change which was apparently a while ago.

Isn't "species" MORE racist than "race" considering how humanoid and similar most of the races are? You're basically saying dwarves, etc are animals. Or at least that's where my brain goes when I hear species.

• 1Seriously?

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Isn't "species" MORE racist than "race" considering how humanoid and similar most of the races are? You're basically saying dwarves, etc are animals. Or at least that's where my brain goes when I hear species.

I mean .... is that wrong? I don't even see "Race" in the blogical taxonomy chart. I thought it was there so maybe it was changed because of politics. But in order to potentially interbreed I think we'd need to be the same genus and species is the next level down from that. I looked a little further and I guess race is the next level down, often called subspecies.

Also, I'm fine with bestiality being part of DnD.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
What can be fun as a DM is to play the 'long game' with respect to murderhobo development. In my current game the party has mostly been in encounters where the enemy consisted of one challenging entity or a small group of moderately challenging opponents. They have thus optimized their characters for many-vs-one combat styles.

They are now moving into a segment of the overarching plot where they will face large numbers of weak to very weak opponents that use swarm-type tactics. The one character with weak-but-valid AE will suddenly get his chance to shine and the super-stealth character who has been built to assassinate 'bosses' will be totally out of her depth.

Kaines

Potato Supreme
What can be fun as a DM is to play the 'long game' with respect to murderhobo development. In my current game the party has mostly been in encounters where the enemy consisted of one challenging entity or a small group of moderately challenging opponents. They have thus optimized their characters for many-vs-one combat styles.

They are now moving into a segment of the overarching plot where they will face large numbers of weak to very weak opponents that use swarm-type tactics. The one character with weak-but-valid AE will suddenly get his chance to shine and the super-stealth character who has been built to assassinate 'bosses' will be totally out of her depth.
But that one weak dude she actually gets to stealth assassinate is going to pop like a zit!!

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

j00t

But that one weak dude she actually gets to stealth assassinate is going to pop like a zit!!
Nothing as a player feels worse than overkilling some super weak creature by like 50 hp. Like, as a rogue critting a sneak attack feels awesome and then when the DM is like, no need to role, he's only got 3 hp... It's this weird sense of completely wasted over-achievement.

I created this cursed paladin only sword... Cursed isn't exactly the right word, but it's a sentient weapon infused with the soul of it's previous owner, a paladin of vengeance that when you crit with it, it forces you to use your highest spell slot for a smite. Plenty of times you'll want to do that anyways, but the times you don't, but are compelled to is perfect drama.

• 2Like

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
Pffft, that's a bad DM. What he should do is let you roll all your dice, and then the more you overkill it, the more he describes it as some horrible mutilation. You overkill a goblin by 50 with a sneak attack? Sound like what you did was grabbed the goblin by the back of the neck, and lifted it off the ground, repeatedly stabbing it in the back, while it kicks and flails screaming helplessly against your onslaught. You only stop when its diced innards are literally falling out the wretched creatures back, dropping its body to the floor and pointing at one of the other goblins, make an intimidation check.

Boom, now your a badass instead of feeling trashy.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

j00t

Pffft, that's a bad DM. What he should do is let you roll all your dice, and then the more you overkill it, the more he describes it as some horrible mutilation. You overkill a goblin by 50 with a sneak attack? Sound like what you did was grabbed the goblin by the back of the neck, and lifted it off the ground, repeatedly stabbing it in the back, while it kicks and flails screaming helplessly against your onslaught. You only stop when its diced innards are literally falling out the wretched creatures back, dropping its body to the floor and pointing at one of the other goblins, make an intimidation check.

Boom, now your a badass instead of feeling trashy.
Eh, a good DM spends the whole game making the players feel like heroes, he can have this one

• 1Pathetic

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Paizo announced today Pathfinder 2e Remastered: a reprinting of the core books that additionally includes some of the most popular character options from supplemental releases as well as lots of errata and some functional system changes (such as the removal of alignment). These books will be published under the ORC license as opposed to the OGL and be fully compatible with existing Pathfinder 2e rules and books.

• 2Like

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I use unearthly chorus from UA and I think the other bard hates me for it.

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Paizo announced today Pathfinder 2e Remastered: a reprinting of the core books that additionally includes some of the most popular character options from supplemental releases as well as lots of errata and some functional system changes (such as the removal of alignment). These books will be published under the ORC license as opposed to the OGL and be fully compatible with existing Pathfinder 2e rules and books.

The PF2 remaster is getting rid of ability scores because "they never use anything but the modifiers." Obviously, but the modifier stems from the ability score. They claim to be removing it because it streamlines gameplay, but that's so transparently bullshit. They're removing it because all the mental-illness has boiled over. Having a stat that objectively shows my character is stronger, faster, or smarter than yours is haram.

Fuck this gay Earth.

P.S. Anyone want to buy a literal brand new collection of every PF2 hardback?

• 2Worf
  • 1Pathetic
Reactions: 2 users

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
The PF2 remaster is getting rid of ability scores because "they never use anything but the modifiers." Obviously, but the modifier stems from the ability score. They claim to be removing it because it streamlines gameplay, but that's so transparently bullshit. They're removing it because all the mental-illness has boiled over. Having a stat that objectively shows my character is stronger, faster, or smarter than yours is haram.

Fuck this gay Earth.

P.S. Anyone want to buy a literal brand new collection of every PF2 hardback?

Calm down there Admiral Autism. You will still have stats that objectively show that your character is stronger, faster, or smarter than someone else's. They will just be represented as "+2" instead of "14 | +2". The scores themselves are totally redundant and only confuse new players. (I teach a lot of new players and they always have a hard time understanding scores.)

Also, understand that in Pathfinder 2e, there are no odd numbered scores below 19. It is impossible to have a 17, 15, 13, 11, 9, 7, etc. in an ability in the Pathfinder 2e system. This is another reason to do away with the scores and only keep the modifiers - no actual mechanics or information changes, it only cuts out redundancy.

The only weirdness this creates is with the odd-numbered ability scores 19 and up, but that can pretty easily be solved by saying "+4 and 1/2 boosts to +5" or something more elegant. It's not a big deal though. There are plenty of woke problems with Paizo but this isn't one of them. You can still play puny Halflings and retarded Lizardfolk.

• 1Dislike