The Dallas Cowboys Memorial (2015 Off-Season) Thread

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
before his neck injury and when he was 2 years younger. apparently QBs fall off a cliff, they dont ride down gently

he's still a top AFC qb

Brady Manning Roethlisberger Luck Rivers Flacco
How can you not know this was after the neck injury? It wasn't even that long ago. It's hard to take your opinions seriously when you can't get simple facts right.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Not every QB has a wife who wears the pants in their relationship. "Sure honey, go do your little football hobby, I make plenty for both of us."
Right, cause making 2m+++ every year still leaves most NFL players struggling financially... (only the retarded fucks who want to live like billionaires and have no sense of fiscal responsibility, just like all the lotto winners/musicians/etc. who end up broke within 5 years of getting more money than 95% of people will make in their entire lifetime).

Shit, 3rd string benchwarmers making $400k a year have no reason to ever need their wife to be their "breadwinner" or "wear the pants" because they're still legitimately rich.

It's a perception problem with fans just as much as players. Truly being rich is not the same thing as having a very well paying job for a short period. The solid but not really memorable players who might make 5 million dollars over 8 or 9 years are basically upper middle class doctors and lawyers who made all of their money at one time instead of over a long career. It's not permanently life changing money at all if you plan on playing football and never working another day after age 30 or whatever. Especially if you're one of these well meaning but ultimately foolish guys who want to take care of every family member they ever had.

This is why I never blame players for holdouts or whatever else they have to do to get paid. The smart ones realize how incredibly small their lifetime earning window is and wisely laugh all of the butthurt sports fan "omg honer ur contrakt darryl reevis!!11" retards you see on sports website comment sections.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I suggest checking out the 30 for 30 documentary "Broke". It's a real eye opener and it will make you understand that most of these guys are not all that rich and they are certainly not set for life at least in the vast majority of cases.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
I'm sorry if you make $10m in your career you are pretty much set for life and if you fuck it up I don't feel bad for you at all, no matter how many shitty sob story shows ESPN airs about the 'issue'. No outside the very top of the NFL the guys are not in Paris Hilton territory where they can just spend with no thought but since when has the definition of rich changed from people who are very well off to just people who are so insanely wealthy they can do whatever they like.

Oh and FYI, doctors and lawyers making 200k/yr who are arguably in that NFL player lifetime earnings range are not upper middle class, only in 'merica where even billionaires are middle class would anyone ever make such a stupid claim.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I suggest checking out the 30 for 30 documentary "Broke". It's a real eye opener and it will make you understand that most of these guys are not all that rich and they are certainly not set for life at least in the vast majority of cases.
Right, because they were poor kids who grew up and were handed a shit ton of money. It's got nothing to do with the money and everything to do with financial illiteracy.

Making the league minimum and lasting in the league for the average of 3 years, you've still made as much money as it takes a normal worker 20 years to.

League minimum last season was $420k for a rookie on the 53 man roster, or $107k for a practice squad player. Each year it's +15k.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I know you're supposed to feel somewhat sympathetic with the players after watching "Broke", but it made me angry more than anything to see how wasteful a lot of these idiots are due to the aforementioned financial illiteracy.

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
I think you guys are forgetting how much it costs to have an agent, lawyer, financial adviser/accountant on retainer costs that gets tacked on to all the other shit that normal people have to pay as well. And while the adviser/accountant aren't getting percentages of your pay the agent and lawyer are. While I can't speak for Brutul I am guessing that is why he suggested broke, as they did cover that in the 30 for 30.

Truly being rich to me is knowing you can live to be 100 and when you die you still have enough to be subject to the federal estate tax. That is not 99% of football players who make $10M in their 20s and need to make it last for the next 50-60 years. It's not about feeling sorry for them, I think it's just a popular misconception that most professional athletes make enough money to buy a new Bentley every other year until they die.

BTW, 200k/yr is SOLIDLY middle class in much of the United States, especially if that's a total household income. Are you familiar with places like New York and San Francisco? People making $200k there are obviously putting food on the table and sending their kids to reputable state colleges but if you think that's a high roller jet-setting salary in those places I think you're more out of touch than the billionaires. It's the people making $40k that erroneously believe they are middle class that have led to the thinking that the average doctor is a fabulously rich person.

littles

Lord Nagafen Raider
Not to derail the thread but "much of the united states" isn't sf and ny.
Robert Reich, a professor of Public Policy at the University of California-Berkeley and former Secretary of Labor, has suggested the middle class be defined as households making 50 percent higher and lower than the median, which would mean the average middle class annual income is $25,500 to $76,500.
200k a year is far above middle class.

Xevy

Log Wizard
People who grow up among affluent and wealthy areas are skewed money wise. I remember arguing I was upper middle class because my family was around the 200k annual income mark, and my friends who's parents were closer to the 400k+ mark were like "Yeah right, we're barely there!" But most of the country is earning 50k salary after 15+ years on the job. Some of us just never get to see it.

ALSO ANDREW LUCK GOOD @ FOOTBALL! I sure hope Duron Carter isn't a little shit!

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
I think you guys are forgetting how much it costs to have an agent, lawyer, financial adviser/accountant on retainer costs that gets tacked on to all the other shit that normal people have to pay as well. And while the adviser/accountant aren't getting percentages of your pay the agent and lawyer are. While I can't speak for Brutul I am guessing that is why he suggested broke, as they did cover that in the 30 for 30.
Yeah, and that's not everything. If you make 10 million, start by sending half of it to the government. Then send a chunk to your agent. Now with what you have left you're living in a culture where you're expected to party like a rich guy, live in a swanky house, give money to charity, drive a $100,000+ car, make it rain at the strip club, etc. Most of these guys are in their early 20's and don't come from a background where they know anything about money. All of their friends and family are coming to them thinking that they have unlimited money and they should share it, and there is a thing where if the local kid makes good, he's supposed to bring something back to the old neighborhood. There was one guy on "Broke" that bought houses for like 5 relatives. Not paid cash, but actually took out mortgages for 5 houses that he was not living in, and the people he bought them for were pissed when he got injured and had to sell the houses because he couldn't make the mortgage payments.

Then after you get past the friends and relatives, there are a whole lot of shysters coming to them claiming to be financial advisors, entrepreneurs, charities, etc. that want them to invest in a restaurant, a bar, some internet company, etc. and they take their money and then either don't do anything at all, or piss it away on some business that they don't know how to run. It's easy to say that they should have known better, but how many 22 year olds are really good with money? Regular 22 year olds are just running up their $1500 limit credit cards and buying used cars that they can't afford. Give those people millions of dollars and they would really fuck things up.

On top of that, it's just in an athlete's mindset that they are going to play 10-15 years in the league, but most of them will be out in 3.

Now if you gave me 10 million dollars today, I would be set for life, but these young athletes are in a much different situation and it's surprisingly easy to wind up with nothing to show for their ride in pro sports, which is what happens to a lot of guys.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
BTW, the champion of blowing your pro sports riches was Curt Schilling. He lost $50 Million of his own money and like $100 Million that was loaned to him by the state of Rhode Island trying to make video games and THEN he got cancer.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
BTW, the champion of blowing your pro sports riches was Curt Schilling. He lost $50 Million of his own money and like $100 Million that was loaned to him by the state of Rhode Island trying to make video games and THEN he got cancer.
Kingdoms of Amalur was 100% worth it.

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's not permanently life changing money at all if you plan on playing football and never working another day after age 30 or whatever.
That is permanently life changing. You are describing a job in which you work into your early thirties and then retire with the lifetime quality of living of a doctor or lawyer, who works 30 years longer.... WTF

EDIT - if you have a few years where you are on the practice squad you should be fine. Ask anyone here who wasnt freakishly athletic, what they could have done with a hundred thousand dollars in their early twenties. Imagine no mortgage, or no student loans.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
That was pretty apparent for a while based on the tweets and what not from management.