The Elder Scrolls Online

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Whys utnayan trying so hard here.

This game looks awful, congratulations on discovering that. Pro tip: The only people hyped about this game are hopeless fanboys and trolls. Neither is going to listen to you.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
A better question right now would be is the 2013 release written in stone? Based on the feedback and ignoring Ut's trolling I don't see anyway this product ships decently in six months or less.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah, from the sounds of it they still have a ton of work to do. When is WildStar supposed to release? I'm sure they don't want to step on each others toes.

Krueger

Molten Core Raider
What I do know is that you blow through mana really fast using those abilities. I've tried some CC builds in the dungeons and they aren't terribly effective when compared to the dps you could be doing asblowing all your mana really fucks up your dps rotationsince you then only have stamina and nothing to alternate to keep the pools balanced.
Not sure if this was slightly poor wording, but did you mean this to sound like TESO is going to be just like WoW where there's an optimal(or a couple of) DPS rotations and if you veer off of that rotation, you're hosing your own damage potential? Or do you just mean it as going CC will hose your damage in general and there isn't exactly an optimal rotation?

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
What I do know is that you blow through mana really fast using those abilities. I've tried some CC builds in the dungeons and they aren't terribly effective when compared to the dps you could be doing as blowing all your mana really fucks up your dps rotation since you then only have stamina and nothing to alternate to keep the pools balanced.
This is bad. But to compensate to the first point you make, you also only have mana resources up to your current level cap which is... 19 I believe? At end game it isn't going to be an issue since it doesn't appear to scale. Diminishing returns means literally nothing in short term PvP combat where most people who are stun locked live about 6 seconds, especially without healers around. They will die before DR kicks in anyway. With the amount of abilities laid out in the lower tier, that's a recipe for disaster. As I said though and to be completely fair, this can change, and should... The problem is they are so far behind schedule the passes required to balance this will most likely be allocated to building the actual content portion. Here is where they are going to run into major trouble.

It will be interesting when testing starts and we get a look at what is planned but I'm not convinced people are going to be blowing all their load on fairly short CC.
It isn't fairly short when you have a passive that adds 20%. And there is a disorient in there (I am assuming that means loss of control) that lasts for 15 seconds. No CD's on breaks, so that means it will be a war of attrition/button mashing with some poor guy getting pebbled with CC skills trying to counter limitlessly while getting raped by range.

Also, Krueger brings up a fantastic point as well.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
A better question right now would be is the 2013 release written in stone? Based on the feedback and ignoring Ut's trolling I don't see anyway this product ships decently in six months or less.
That's stopped any other company when again? They may not have a choice. Someone probably has had enough of the poor development cycle from up top at Zenimax Media and clamped down and said ship in November, or else.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's too early to know if their release date is set in stone. In fact, it's way too early to be calling this game the disaster of the century, but I know that won't stop you from railing against TESO with your very unhealthy obsession. Carry on..

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
It's certainly not the disaster of the century, that's SWTOR just based on the sheer amount of money they spent on it. The other disasters would be AOC, WAR and VG, though I wouldn't know how to rank them.

TESO is going to launch soon, as in this year. Once they start doing the convention circuit, you know they are coming soon. I would say it launch before E3 2014 easily. If I had to guess, it launches Q4 2013.

Be it's pretty easy to guess, with a good chance, that this game will really fail to live up to expectations because they have shown absolutely nothing so far. I expect games that are showing this little to be 2-3 years out. They are talking about a launch that is sooner than that, and all they are showing are videos of people in first person picking up vendor trash from the ground?

They should be showing gameplay videos. Here's another red flag: they banned cameras from video taping their PAX East demo. BANNED. That should raise a giant red flag the size of Ut's mouth. I'm an uber optimistic guy, but I know how to read between the lines. I have very little hope for this game from how they have been handling their PR. Shit that info dump they did when discussing their game for the first time was ugly. For a game with the Elder Scrolls logo on it, it was panned almost entirely across the internet.

Hell the masses are savvy enough to lol at them for saying "Hero Engine".

From what we've seen and read so far, this game is going to be average at best OR it's going to be amazing and somehow Zenimax hired the worst PR/Marketing people ever.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
That's stopped any other company when again? They may not have a choice. Someone probably has had enough of the poor development cycle from up top at Zenimax Media and clamped down and said ship in November, or else.
Didn't SWTOR push its release date back from spring to winter with a very long beta? I swear TOR was in beta for like 2 years. Swtor still was rushed even after that. This could be even a bigger trainwreck if they release it this year.

At the end of the day, its only the executives at Zenimax to blame. They're in the business of game software development and publishing. Yet they continue to make poor decisions such as hiring Rich Vogel, and letting development continue the way it has on TESO. If the project is being poorly managed, its up to them to get it back on track, including making personnel changes if necessary. Several of their other studios turned out to be poor investments, and Id has its collective thumb up its ass with Doom 4. Meanwhile, Bethesda continues to carry the weight of the company with the only IP Zenimax is about to shit all over on. /sarcastic-slowclap

From what we've seen and read so far, this game is going to be average at best OR it's going to be amazing and somehow Zenimax hired the worst PR/Marketing people ever.
Probably both.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
/\/\ Brink!
smile.png
(Trivia tip: The same people who marketed Brink grassroots (We all know how that game turned out) are backing TESO grassroots currently. )

It's too early to know if their release date is set in stone...
You are not understanding... They have no choice.

You of all people should know what a firm deadline is to ship right?

This is what happens when you fuck up your development cycle like this.

(And just to be fair to TESO, it's been like this for the last 10 years with every game that has been shipped)

Sabbat

Trakanon Raider
At the end of the day, its only the executives at Zenimax to blame. They're in the business of game software development and publishing.
No. It's about time we man up and realise that it's not the publishers that are pushing deadlines to make a buck for bad game design. It's the game designers that sit down and shit out a design document that utterly fails to capture the spirit/style of their intended game.

Why is RvR even in this game? Why are there 3 hard coded factions? Why are there defined levels of character power and monsters? Why are there ?! over NPCs heads?

At this point, Darkfall is FAR more like an Elder Scrolls MMO, than the Elder Scrolls MMO is.

Of course, if you wanted to slut together DAoC, EQ/WoW and Skyrim, the current incarnation of ESO is is exactly what you'd get..

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
Whys utnayan trying so hard here.

This game looks awful, congratulations on discovering that. Pro tip: The only people hyped about this game are hopeless fanboys and trolls. Neither is going to listen to you.
But EVERYONE will still buy it... that's why and that is why the industry will continue to put out garbage, because people eat it.

Pyksel

Rasterizing . . .
No. It's about time we man up and realise that it's not the publishers that are pushing deadlines to make a buck for bad game design. It's the game designers that sit down and shit out a design document that utterly fails to capture the spirit/style of their intended game.

Why is RvR even in this game? Why are there 3 hard coded factions? Why are there defined levels of character power and monsters? Why are there ?! over NPCs heads?

At this point, Darkfall is FAR more like an Elder Scrolls MMO, than the Elder Scrolls MMO is.

Of course, if you wanted to slut together DAoC, EQ/WoW and Skyrim, the current incarnation of ESO is is exactly what you'd get..
I'm not sure I agree with the part about not blaming publishers. I think publishers share an equal amount of responsibility when it comes to sitting down, looking at a design document, and questioning if the game can deliver. I think the genre would do much better if we had publishers in place that actually gave a shit about the quality of the game in terms of will it captivate the audience, will it provide lasting content, and ultimately, will it be fun. Until that changes, this disposable content that has nothing but short term $$ signs tacked to it will be the shit we continually get.

It's up to things like Kickstarter and Indie devs to change it.

I'm not absolving devs and designers from any responsibility here but those guys/gals are typically focused on things far more different than the publisher is.

Pyksel

Rasterizing . . .
But EVERYONE will still buy it... that's why and that is why the industry will continue to put out garbage, because people eat it.
Pardon the analogy but if you really want to change things then how the hell do you convince a billion people NOT to eat McDonalds? Do you target the products or do you target the producers?