The Elder Scrolls Online

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Gonna try a sorc/destruction staff this weekend instead of templar. Looking at racials, almost forced to go the High elf because of the bonuses. Racials will probably force me to pre-order if I want to play, just so I can play any race on any faction.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
Gonna try a sorc/destruction staff this weekend instead of templar. Looking at racials, almost forced to go the High elf because of the bonuses. Racials will probably force me to pre-order if I want to play, just so I can play any race on any faction.
That is what I did with my sorceror alt initially and then I came to the realization that my stamina pool was being wasted. Destro staff uses magicka just like your sorceror class abilities. In almost every situation you will find yourself, it will be better to spend your magicka using sorceror abilities than using destro staff abilities. About the only time I used the destro staff was when I was just using no cost light/heavy attacks. When I got to level 15 and got weapon swap I started using a bow and that combo is lethal with a sorceror since it allows ranged DPS using both the magicka and stamina pools.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
The ESO haters could play ESO for 16 hours straight, experience no problems whatsoever, experience 15 seconds of combat lag, then rush here to gloat that their criticisms about poor combat responsiveness turned out to be 100% accurate.
That's the problem though Rescorla. It isn't for 15 seconds out of 16 hours. It happens on a regular basis where you do not have abilities fire, are tab targeting action shots and it fires at the wrong target or simply fires at the ground. This isn't an issue that can be fixed. It's due to an inherent action system layered on top of an existing system and both of them get completely confused when mashed together like ZO has done here. Being that it is integral to the combat of the game now, I am not sure if they can do anything at this point - the combat issues just may run too deep to fix. And to be clear, this isn't server lag. Its animations not cutting off when the Global cooldown for abilities has already refreshed and the next ability is ready to fire, forcing a player to mash a button repeatedly until it goes off. And no matter how hard they try to match animations to the GC, there will always be sluggishness as a result. Some people are saying they are getting used to it and are getting around it that way, but that doesn't mean it will or wont be a big deal for most people who have played other games with more responsiveness when animations cut. NPC Collision does nothing to help it. It isn't a collision issue. As I have stated in a previous post, NPC Collision is non existent in World of Warcraft, which regardless of how people feel about the game itself, it has one of the most responsive and appropriate/reactionary combat systems in the market. They should have aimed for that, rather than try to make it more like Skyrim. Which basically means they should have tried to make it less like Skyrim, and concentrated on a fluid combat system with AvA at the forefront if that was their intent. Or if they wanted to make it Skyrim, followed that model.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
Dark Elf Sorcerer with Dual Wield. Amazingly fun, great DPS, and nice stamina abilities. You don't want to use a staff on a mage until after 15 due to having no outlet to use stamina. Post 15 it's ok, as you can swap weapons.

Is the only way to play imperial to buy the collector's edition?
So far. I wouldn't be surprised if that changes.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
That's the problem though Rescorla. It isn't for 15 seconds out of 16 hours. It happens on a regular basis where you do not have abilities fire, are tab targeting action shots and it fires at the wrong target or simply fires at the ground. This isn't an issue that can be fixed.
I have no doubt that combat lag that you describe was a problem in the weekend beta servers. The last weekend beta used 0.17 build and it was supposed to fix a lot of the combat lag problems but instead it made it worse. When you combine that with the fact there was a stress test going on, combat lag was probably a major issue for a lot of players. On the closed beta forums there were a lot of complaints about it in late January/early February timeframe. Since 0.171 it is definitely not happening on a regular basis otherwise the testers would still be raising it as an issue.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Dark Elf Sorcerer with Dual Wield. Amazingly fun, great DPS, and nice stamina abilities. You don't want to use a staff on a mage until after 15 due to having no outlet to use stamina. Post 15 it's ok, as you can swap weapons.
Not sure I want to get my stamina low, since iirc it's used for dodging.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
I swapped between magicka and stamina abilities and never had any issues dodging. For the vast majority of regular critters I like using both for the far higher DPS and abilities.

Grave_sl

shitlord
And CC break which a lot of players don't seem to even know about even though it's incredibly useful in PVE and PVP both. Click both mouse buttons when CC'd and if you have enough Stamina you'll instantly break out.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I have no doubt that combat lag that you describe was a problem in the weekend beta servers. The last weekend beta used 0.17 build and it was supposed to fix a lot of the combat lag problems but instead it made it worse. When you combine that with the fact there was a stress test going on, combat lag was probably a major issue for a lot of players. On the closed beta forums there were a lot of complaints about it in late January/early February timeframe. Since 0.171 it is definitely not happening on a regular basis otherwise the testers would still be raising it as an issue.
The only problem I have with that line of thinking, is that Matt Firor in an interview back in late summer/early fall of 2013 stated that they had worked out a majority of the combat issues closed beta testers were having and have heard less and less about combat issues from all those beta testers. So they moved on to other systems within the game. I wish I could find the interview. What that means is beta tester feedback (Or lack of) doesn't mean the issues aren't there any longer.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Not even close. The ESO haters have consistently resorted to exaggeration, hyperbole and quite often outright fabrications to try and paint a negative picture of this game. Combat responsiveness is obviously an integral part of gameplay for any MMO and as others like mkopec have confirmed, the issue is nowhere close to being as bad as the ESO haters are trying to portray it. I gave an anecdotal description of the extremely rare situations when I have encountered the problem. It happens so rarely now I don't even consider it a problem anymore. If and when it does happen to me, it is so intermittent that you can't reproduce it on demand. Like I said, the few times it did happen to me was only when I pulled 3 linked mobs but it didn't happen every time I pulled 3 linked mobs. For all I know that could have been the same exact time the NSA decided to do a scan of my computer. That has been my experience on closed beta with a relatively small population. Your mileage may vary on the weekend beta servers.

The ESO haters could play ESO for 16 hours straight, experience no problems whatsoever, experience 15 seconds of combat lag, then rush here to gloat that their criticisms about poor combat responsiveness turned out to be 100% accurate.
I dislike it because it's not a good game, that's the only reason really.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
The only problem I have with that line of thinking, is that Matt Firor in an interview back in late summer/early fall of 2013 stated that they had worked out a majority of the combat issues closed beta testers were having and have heard less and less about combat issues from all those beta testers. So they moved on to other systems within the game. I wish I could find the interview. What that means is beta tester feedback (Or lack of) doesn't mean the issues aren't there any longer.
Since the genre was created MMO players have loved to whine and complain on the forums on just about every topic imaginable. The fact that this isn't a hot topic of conversation tells you one of two things. Either it isn't a problem anymore or there is a vast conspiracy of closed beta testers refusing to provide legitimate feedback about the problems in the game.

Besides, since you have consistently claimed to be in the closed beta, why aren't you posting about this combat lag problem yourself on the closed beta forums?

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Since the genre was created MMO players have loved to whine and complain on the forums on just about every topic imaginable. The fact that this isn't a hot topic of conversation tells you one of two things. Either it isn't a problem anymore or there is a vast conspiracy of closed beta testers refusing to provide legitimate feedback about the problems in the game.

Besides, since you have consistently claimed to be in the closed beta, why aren't you posting about this combat lag problem yourself on the closed beta forums?
What I have stated here is that in that interview Matt Firor he said that due to beta feedback in early fall, they were no longer hearing about combat issues. Those combat issues still hurt the overall scope of the game. The collision addition doesn't address the core root problem of the combat. My point there was that if feedback from the game director stated that based on beta feedback (not hearing about it any longer) hence moving to other issues with the game that they were hearing feedback on, how does that correlate to combat being fine with the latest closed beta patch because we aren't seeing that now? Aren't the two the same?

What I have stated here is that in that interview Matt Firor he said that due to beta feedback in early fall, they were no longer hearing about combat issues.
I'd like to read that article because if Firor said that then he clearly did not read my post beta survey in which I described the combat as two sponges trying to fuck in a bowl of jello.