The Expanse

khorum

Murder Apologist
I think the biggest problem is that TV-Naomi doesn't really look like a belter naomi should. They've only had a few belters in the show that express that speciation that makes that conflict work. That dude they were torturing in the water tank and a couple of the skinny hookers on Ceres. Aside from that I can understand why they chose to spend the CGI/Effects on the ships and settings rather than make dozens of extras all look like book-belters.

I think maybe they could've done that for Naomi tho.... I suppose the actress can go all method and lose a ton of weight and go keto for a year and pull it off.

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
It's more her personality that bugs me tbh, but I'm probably being pedantic - she's fine for the show, just nothing like the character I had in my head while reading the books.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

khorum

Murder Apologist
Yep. Also she's the only belter with a british accent on the show so far. The afrikaans accent the Ceres Belters do is great but they'll have to intro a bunch of belters with kentish dialects to make that work for the Nemesis Games season. It would make sense that Marko and Cyn and crew all have the same accent as show-Naomi.

• 1Like

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
You guys are making me revert back to disliking the Namomi casting. I'll never like the Amos one he should have been 40 and huge. Holden is ok, I forget but even in the books he starts pretty young I think. They got Alex and miller perfect for me. I do like how they showed on ceres that the belt changes are not all just tall skinney, with other things like weird bone growth, that helps me not feel to bad that most of them on the show look normal as opposed to the books where they are all visibly different

• 1Like

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Amos comes off far too gruff and angry to me in the show. I always read him as pretty reserved with usually a sly smile in most confrontational situations or otherwise just passive expression.

I also thought Naomi was just Asian in the book, so clearly I just skipped right past her character descriptions every time. Whoops!

• 1Like

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
My memory feels like she was a predominantly blaisian mix of everything stretched out by low g with an oversized head. But my memory could be wrong. Also I assumed the stretching would haveade her flat, but this chick is pretty stacked.

• 1Like

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Read all the books and liked all the books. Was not a huge fan of the 4th book, but the 5th book was excellent and got the series back on track. Would absolutely recommend the books to any sci fi fan. One thing about the books is that the actual writing (in the literary sense) becomes noticeably better as the series advances, which is pretty cool to see.

I've given up trying to match the show characters up with their book counterparts and I've enjoyed the show a lot more since doing that. Alex is the only character in the show that matches the book descriptions closely. Amos is probably the furthest from how he is described in the books, but I actually like the show's version of Amos too, once I got over the disparities.

Anyway, both the show and the books are good sci fi imo.

• 1Like

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Finished the season.

Surprised how much I enjoyed this.

This show is good.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
One of the authors of the Expanse (Ty Franck) is actually GRRM's personal assistant!!! I'm sure most the readers know that, but some newer folks might be interested to know that the authors know what NOT to do when trying to finish a 10-book saga.
Although they probably underestimated the time eaten by helping production; they were publishing one book every year in June... except that this year, Amazon says it's pushed back to December...

• 1Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
TV-Naomi can do the age thing for that part you're thinking of....
Not to mention that they've already prepared that arc (when she meets Fred Johnson and tell him she'll need him to find someone later, book readers know what it's all about).

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
well thats a big power suit

BinsMba.jpg

• 2Like

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
This is just for redistribution & sole distribution internationally. Still a SyFy show.
Right but if they already have a deal for the rest I am sure there is some money coming back to SyFy to ensure that Netflix sees that they are going to keep making it.

• 2Like

Cybsled

Syfy only committed to 2 seasons and the 1st season was a disappointment ratings wise, even though it did well critically. This would make it more likely than not that Netflix may consider a takeover of the show if they felt it would bring more eyes to their platform. The Marvel shows definitely helped pull in new demographics, so some high quality sci-fi shows may likewise have result in making the platform more appealing to a wider range of consumers.

• 1Like

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
My hope is that Stars Wars brings back the space shows once people get used to a Star Wars movie every year

• 1Like

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Syfy only committed to 2 seasons and the 1st season was a disappointment ratings wise, even though it did well critically.

You have to put a good chunk of blame on Syfy for that with the fucked up way they aired the show.

• 1Like

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
Has there ever been a scifi show that wasn't a disappointment at launch, ratings-wise? They always seem to take at least a season or two to find their footing and spread through word of mouth.

The Expanse is doing really well though - I keep hearing about it from people who'd never read the books, same as I did after S1/2 of GOT. Obviously it won't hit GOT levels of success, but it could be the biggest scifi show since the 90's if they stay to the course.

• 1Like