The Girls Who Broke Your Heart Thread

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I'm probably overthinking this, but what's everyone's thoughts on a girl on a dating site that is writing good, long responses, but not asking any questions? Would you take that as a sign that she's not interested or would you just not worry about it and continue with the topic of conversation?
She wouldn't be responding if she wasn't interested. Some people just suck at having a two way conversation. IMO the main thing to worry about with online dating messaging is not pulling the trigger quickly enough on a RL meeting/date. Getting pen-pal'd might be the only thing worse than being friend zoned.

Now back to me! In casual conversation over dinner the other night, I was asking my special lady friend about when she hears back about her applications. She said she should have responses back from everyone by the end of the month, and that she was looking forward for it to be over because she's stressed about it. I told her she shouldn't worry, that I was sure she'd get in to most of them, if not all. Truly I have no idea, but she had good marks and she's smart, and she got glowing reviews/recommendations. She said yeah, probably, but just in case she was going to meet with her old research adviser at the local university next week to submit an application for research psychology just in case she didn't get in to clinical elsewhere. Her preference is still very much clinical, but she hasn't been in school for almost 2 years now and doesn't want to try again next year if she doesn't get in this year.

No biggy yet, but it did occur to me that she may well be keeping her options open for other than educational reasons. I didn't really say much about the local application, just again reassured her about getting in elsewhere without looking like I was actually wanting her to leave.

YIMMY_sl

shitlord
Online dating is weird for me. Well, I guess just the girls in general. POF sucks in NYC, but it's surprising how many hot girls respond to my Copy-Paste line but not my "regular put some real effort in" lines on OKC. I can number close really well with the divorce line. My friend keeps telling me if the girls don't give there number and want to get drinks within 5-6 messages then it really just dies out after a while. He goes on dates at least twice a week.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
OKC/POF are geographically distinct. POF is more prevalent in my area. OKC is more prevalent in other's. You just need to know which to use.

And your buddy is right. After a few messages you really need to push for face-to-face interaction or you can get locked into a boring email relationship that will go no where.

Dabamf_sl

shitlord
She wouldn't be responding if she wasn't interested. Some people just suck at having a two way conversation. IMO the main thing to worry about with online dating messaging is not pulling the trigger quickly enough on a RL meeting/date. Getting pen-pal'd might be the only thing worse than being friend zoned.

Now back to me! In casual conversation over dinner the other night, I was asking my special lady friend about when she hears back about her applications. She said she should have responses back from everyone by the end of the month, and that she was looking forward for it to be over because she's stressed about it. I told her she shouldn't worry, that I was sure she'd get in to most of them, if not all. Truly I have no idea, but she had good marks and she's smart, and she got glowing reviews/recommendations. She said yeah, probably, but just in case she was going to meet with her old research adviser at the local university next week to submit an application for research psychology just in case she didn't get in to clinical elsewhere. Her preference is still very much clinical, but she hasn't been in school for almost 2 years now and doesn't want to try again next year if she doesn't get in this year.

No biggy yet, but it did occur to me that she may well be keeping her options open for other than educational reasons. I didn't really say much about the local application, just again reassured her about getting in elsewhere without looking like I was actually wanting her to leave.
Fully funded Clinical programs accept 3-8% of applicants, depending on the quality. And they're really fucking good applicants. The fact that she can even have a relationship and be normal with you is impressive to me. It's a motherfucking nightmare. It's one of the worst things I've ever done. Despite working your ass off to get research experience, good recommendations, and good GRE scores, all that does is put you up with the other giant pile of impressive applications that you are competing with. That's the base level. You can say "Ok, now they won't automatically reject me. I worked my ass off, and now I can find a way tobeginto distinguish myself." Jan/Feb is a miserable, miserable time. There's a reason I just post dickhead comments lately, because my life right now fucking sucks. If she starts acting crazy, cut her some slack because she has good reason.

P.S. I hate when people tell me "oh you'll get in for sure!" because (1)they know nothing about what it takes and (2)they are wrong. Obviously it's well intentioned

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Thanks, I will keep that in mind. And yes, she did have a bit of a break down on Thursday night with waterworks etc., partially caused by me. It was all good the next day though. Overall though she's been pretty much the same since I met her. Very little crazy evident, and a genuinely kindhearted person overall.

Tenks

A good friend of mine from high school was super smart, got into a great under-grad for medical school (30k+ a year) had a 3.5+ GPA, did clinicals and all that at Cleveland Clinic, did decent on MCAT (but not great) andstilldidn't get into medical school. She's now like a roaming salesman for medical supplies or something lol. Kind of funny she spent like 8x more on college than me and has a lower paying and crappier job.

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
A good friend of mine from high school was super smart, got into a great under-grad for medical school (30k+ a year) had a 3.5+ GPA, did clinicals and all that at Cleveland Clinic, did decent on MCAT (but not great) andstilldidn't get into medical school. She's now like a roaming salesman for medical supplies or something lol. Kind of funny she spent like 8x more on college than me and has a lower paying and crappier job.
~3.5 GPA is pretty borderline for getting in tbh, especially with "decent" MCAT.

Pretty surprised to hear how hard it is to apply to those Psych programs, we are talking about just a master's program right?

Tenks

She should have gone the Achamo route and gone to Southern Nigeria to get her medical degree

I kid. A friend of mine had to go to Austrailia to get his medical degree since he couldn't get in anywhere in the states. Seems odd you can get educated elsewhere and operate in the USA. Oh well.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I know of a few friends who went to the UK/Ireland for law, medicine and/or vet school. They couldn't get in here in Canada, but apparently they throw the doors open there since out of country students pay much higher tuition. Medicine and vet school makes sense that you can get educated elsewhere, as medicine/veterinary science doesn't change by country (so long as they're both developed). Law though is a whole other ball of wax. The friend who went to the UK for law had to spend an extra year studying and taking courses once he got back to Canada, even though our legal system is pretty much copied straight over, right down to the "Crown" being plastered all over it.

As far as my lady friend goes, I think she said she had a 3.78 average. Graduated with distinction. I don't know too many specifics about the research and clinical work she's done since, other than it deals with kids/development. Whether or not she was fishing for my reaction, I don't know. It was a natural part of the conversation and it didn't appear that way, anyways.

Awlbiste_sl

shitlord
I'm not even in the sciences and getting into grad school was a big headache and a huge stressor. Now I've been accepted into my school of choice and that's just the start. Dealing with moving there, getting aid, many many scholarship apps, finding and getting an assistantship, on top of still being an undergrad, it's awful. And then you get to start and all the work that entails.

If she's handling all this shit and also handling the relationship with little to no crazy, I commend her. I don't think subtly trying to see if you'd want her to stay in the area is a crazy person thing, it seems like a natural thing to want to find out.

Dabamf_sl

shitlord
~3.5 GPA is pretty borderline for getting in tbh, especially with "decent" MCAT.

Pretty surprised to hear how hard it is to apply to those Psych programs, we are talking about just a master's program right?
It's strictly clinical that is excessively hard. A given school might accept 10 new clinical students, 6 social, 5 developmental, 4 experimental. Then you look at applicant numbers. 246 clinical, 36 social, 20 developmental, 15 experimental.

Most psych programs are PhD. A masters in psych has very limited use and only with specific degrees (mostly counseling), so terminal masters programs aren't offered. You apply to the PhD program and get your masters along the way.

Also, complaining about all the shit you have to do after getting accepted? Fuck that. Who cares about the "work" of applying for assistantships, loans, no life, no money, blah, blah. You got in to your top school in the field you want to work in. Your destiny is now completely in your own hands. You're one of the luckiest people on the planet.*

*Unless of course your program isn't fully funded and you'll end up with 100k+ in debt afterward, in which case good luck with that.

Awlbiste_sl

shitlord
There's a lot of work involved. It's not particularly very fun. These are fairly obvious facts that most people will agree with.

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
rrr_img_7639.jpg

dimstar

Silver Knight of the Realm
Yeah the online dating scene is quite odd. All the chicks whine about guy's sending lame one line message's, abs shots, dick pics. But 90% of the time I write a well thought 3-4 sentence message talking about equally shared interests. You get no response back. I have tried both Okcupid and PoF. At least where I'm at PoF has more users. As other's have said if you aren't trading phone's numbers within 2-3 days. You're just wasting time. Note by no means am I an ugly neck beard. But bitches be fickle.

Zombie Thorne_sl

shitlord
Medical equipment sales can be damn good gig, I've got a buddy that sells dental equipment pulling 120k a year while playing golf with dentists 3 times a week.

I just wanted to say this thread got me through a very nasty divorce that about broke me 3 years ago. I was just a lurker, but reading everything was nice. I will post stories sometime. I am now married to my best friend, it's awesome.

CnCGOD_sl

shitlord
Fully funded Clinical programs accept 3-8% of applicants, depending on the quality. And they're really fucking good applicants. The fact that she can even have a relationship and be normal with you is impressive to me. It's a motherfucking nightmare. It's one of the worst things I've ever done. Despite working your ass off to get research experience, good recommendations, and good GRE scores, all that does is put you up with the other giant pile of impressive applications that you are competing with. That's the base level. You can say "Ok, now they won't automatically reject me. I worked my ass off, and now I can find a way tobeginto distinguish myself." Jan/Feb is a miserable, miserable time. There's a reason I just post dickhead comments lately, because my life right now fucking sucks. If she starts acting crazy, cut her some slack because she has good reason.

P.S. I hate when people tell me "oh you'll get in for sure!" because (1)they know nothing about what it takes and (2)they are wrong. Obviously it's well intentioned
This is true for IO Psych to, you sign up to be tortured and they only give that privilege to 5% of the applicants. Of those that get in like 40-50% drop out. Those who make it take on average until they are 30 or 31 to finish if starting straight out of undergrad. (Fiancee just graduated with a PhD in it).

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Most psych programs are PhD. A masters in psych has very limited use and only with specific degrees (mostly counseling), so terminal masters programs aren't offered. You apply to the PhD program and get your masters along the way.
Yeah she indicated that she'd be getting her PhD down the road as well, that the master's on it's own isn't all that great to have. Maybe it works differently up here in terms of going undergrad->masters->PhD, I dunno.

Dabamf_sl

shitlord
Oh right I forgot you're in Canadia. It's essentially the same thing. Is she applying to only Canadian schools?