The Hobbit

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
This was from some large movie poster panorama they released, I want to say it was at ComicCon, not sure. But yeah, confirms Beorn.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
wonder if i should try reading the hobbit to my 3 year old haha
My son absolutely loved the graphic novel which is actually really good. He was 4 the first time I read it and still likes it now at 5. I am willing to bet we went through the spiders, wolves, and gollum no less than 20 times a piece.

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
This was not a good action adventure movie. It's pretty much shit when compared to the most recent Bond installment or any other modern grim-dark fast paced action flick. You know what this is? It's the Lord of the Rings without the oppressive plot hook of destroying the ring and stopping the great evil.

I loved the fuck out of this movie. It was exactly what I was hoping for. I went in with low expectations hoping it would be as good as the Lord of the Rings. And you know what? It's better. Much better. I hated the idea of turning this into a trilogy but god damnit Peter Jackson has my money. As a fan of D&D and the Hobbit I felt like I was sitting down at the table with Peter Jackson as a DM. A bunch of times I felt like I should be rolling dice right now. Great movie for fans of the genre, shit movie for the general audience. It's going to be a failure for critics and most movie goers. But fuck them. This isn't for them. Although, it would be great if they could get into it too.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Goblin King felt a bit out of place(that and those trolls earlier in the movie, the whole cgi interaction seemed out of place did they cut the budget in that area?). Weird voice and just some very awkward and out of place comedy to go along with it. Also the scenes of them running through the labyrinth with the super fast cuts and tight almost fps shots was a bit annoying.

Good movie though, on par with the previous LoTR movies. Only thing I think it was lacking was a more meaningful connection or foreshadowing to the ring/saroun(coming from someone who never ready any of the books). They kind of hint at it with "hey goblins/orcs/trolls are starting to appear" but thats it really, no real exploration or investigation into the matter.

Maul

Dental Dammer
Goblin King felt a bit out of place(that and those trolls earlier in the movie, the whole cgi interaction seemed out of place did they cut the budget in that area?). Weird voice and just some very awkward and out of place comedy to go along with it. Also the scenes of them running through the labyrinth with the super fast cuts and tight almost fps shots was a bit annoying.

Good movie though, on par with the previous LoTR movies. Only thing I think it was lacking was a more meaningful connection or foreshadowing to the ring/saroun(coming from someone who never ready any of the books). They kind of hint at it with "hey goblins/orcs/trolls are starting to appear" but thats it really, no real exploration or investigation into the matter.
The Ring was only a small part of the Hobbit book, was no mention of it being anything more than what it first appeared to be, an invisibility ring.

bytes

Molten Core Raider
If i still can get some tickets i'm going to see this tomorrow. About the HFR, does this mean it's the 48 fps version, or not. Read something about the movie being filmed in a different HD standard as well, or does this go hand in hand?

Cor_sl

shitlord
If i still can get some tickets i'm going to see this tomorrow. About the HFR, does this mean it's the 48 fps version, or not. Read something about the movie being filmed in a different HD standard as well, or does this go hand in hand?
HFR stands for 'high frame rate', or 48FPS.

HFR is recorded in 2k resolution because it's not possible to record at 4k resolution at 48fps at the moment.

xzi

Mouthbreather
I feel like the movie played into a sort of more cheerful film like the book than I was lead to believe. Don't get me wrong, there were some dark scenes but it was overall amazing regardless. Fucking LOVED Bombur, even if he wasn't really shown much. Balin was portrayed just like I imagined him in my head, too.

I loved the movie and can't wait for part 2!

Gecko_sl

shitlord
Well, in all fairness the book was more of a kids book with a ligher tone. It was pretty dark, and I actually thought it was a bit darker than the book.

My girl loved Rhadagast and his bunnies.. lol

The Dwarves were great. I liked the White Council setup, as well.

My son absolutely loved the graphic novel which is actually really good. He was 4 the first time I read it and still likes it now at 5. I am willing to bet we went through the spiders, wolves, and gollum no less than 20 times a piece.
i will look into this. i have a 3 year old as well and this could be cool to share with him.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Going to see this in a few hours. I'm probably the most critical person I know, so I'll give it to you bros straight. HFR 3d as well - actually convinced my girlfriend to skip the gym to go to a theater in the middle of a Saturday. Literally has never happened.

Feien

Ploppers
HFR is recorded in 2k resolution because it's not possible to record at 4k resolution at 48fps at the moment.
This is inaccurate. The Red Epic camera, the one used for this movie, can actually shoot at 5k resolution at 96fps. The movie was actually shot at 5k Resolution at 48fps. The intention was to finish the movie at 4k, (having that extra resolution really helps you in post-production for reframing, or stabilizing. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is a very good example of this). Sadly, they finished this movie at 2k (which is almost the same as HD) due to time. The amount of VFX work at a higher resolution and at a higher frame rate takes a LONG time to work with and to render, so they had to finish it at 2k this time around, but from what I understand, they will have a native 4k version in the future. My hope is that the second and third movie will be in 4k since now that they have a year to work with it, but nothing has been confirmed yet.

Another factor has been projection. Projecting 3D at 48fps is a very new thing. A lot of projectors had to go through a bit of a software/hardware update in order to project the movie this way, but this update will now be able to handle bigger resolutions and frame rates.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Also, just a quick FYI:

Save yourself 10 minutes of your life ... there is no extra clip after the credits.

Wolfen_sl

shitlord
Wish I could find a bigger version of this.
rrr_img_3132.jpg

rrr_img_3132.jpg

rrr_img_3132.jpg

Calbiyum

Molten Core Raider
Saw it last night movie was fucking amazing braj. I saw it in 3D wish I hadn't but w/e still awesome

Dumar_sl

shitlord
i dunno how anyone can say riddles was done well. it was probably the worst done scene in terms of the potential it had. as said previous, it felt like they had spotlights in the cave. that scene could've been the most epic scene in the entire series if done correctly.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Spoilers!

Just saw it 2d 24fps. Pretty good movie. Almost made me tear up with the first scene seeing Bilbo and being back in Middle Earth. Could have done without the "that's what bilbo hates" song. And I couldn't stand how so much action was progressed by some ridiculous "comedic" falling of the entire gang down some ridiculous thing. Oh look, everyone is falling off rocks onto other rocks because there is big rock monsters, oh wait, they're falling through rocks now down a chute, oh wait, now the whole gang is falling between swinging wood platforms, oh look the platform is now surfing down the cave, oh look, they're in trees, and the trees are all falling into each other and they're swinging around in them. SIGH.
smile.png

Besides the goofiness of some it, the movie was pretty dang good. I thought most people did great jobs. Some parts did feel cheap, like the CGI of the guy with the rabbit sled, in some scenes it just looked retarded. I didn't have a problem with the troll scene. From a story telling point of view the thing with the necromancer was just odd, so it just was kind of left out their hanging.

Of course, again I have to ask, why didn't the birds just fly them all the way to the mountain? And why didn't Gandalf just summon the birds in Fellowship and fly Frodo all the way to Mordor?
smile.png

Movie looked good though. Peter Jackson's Middle Earth is beautiful as always, and makes me want to redo my backyard to look like Rivendale
smile.png
Good style. I didn't see Evangeline Lily or Legolas. I guess they're in the other movies?

smile.png

smile.png

smile.png

smile.png

smile.png

smile.png

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Just got back. Thought it was absolutely terrific. Saw Imax 3D and the movie was gorgeous. Felt it ran about 20 minutes too long - but I haven't had that much fun in a movie in god knows how long. Don't understand the shitty review on RT at all. Some of the action sequences were a little off/blurry, and some of the stuff was cheesy - but it was fucking FUN. 8.5/10.