The Hobbit

Xalara

Golden Squire
So apparently The Hobbit is making a bunch of "Worst of 2012" lists based solely on the fact of 48 FPS. Wut?

velk

Trakanon Raider
Well, she actually did need to hide. Her ring was still corruptible by the one ring. The only reason it didn't happen before was because the Elves only used it's power sparingly and even in the third age they only used it to preserve their immortality, and slow down the "diminishment". So she actually had a reason to hide, because if the Elven rings were to fall back into his hands, he could use their magic to do a ton of shit, supposedly.
That doesn't really make any sense, for two main reasons :

1) For most of the timeframe of the hobbit and the LoTR, Sauron was hiding from them, not them hiding from him.

2) At no point during this time did he actually *have* the one ring. Galadriel certainly knew this, at least from the gifting, so really had no excuse for being completely unhelpful

Troll_sl

shitlord
Saw it again, this time in 3D. Again, I didn't dislike the movie, and some of my previous annoyances faded a bit on the second viewing. I still hated the addition of Radagast. Fucking Jackson turning him into Jar-Jar.

I'm also not entirely convinced HFR is ready. There were a lot of strange visual effects. Simple motions seeming faster than they should be. There seems to also be a "canny valley" effect. Things seemed too sharp, too clear. I'm sure movies in the future will be able use it better, though, as the technology matures.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
I saw it in imax 3d which I don't think used the HFR but it is anything like how TV looks when people enable those god awful framerate smoothing options on 120hz TVs? cause those look like shit.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I saw it in imax 3d which I don't think used the HFR but it is anything like how TV looks when people enable those god awful framerate smoothing options on 120hz TVs? cause those look like shit.
It is a similar effect, however I really enjoyed the look of the movie and absolutely hate the fucking feature on my TV. It's different when the actual original footage is shot with that kind of framerate in mind and not tacked on through the tech in the TV. It was a little jarring the first few minutes of the movie, but I thought it really added to the look/feel and in a good way.

Wolfen_sl

shitlord
I saw it in a "fake" Imax and then in a Real3D theater. The Imax version is much better. Real3D version had lots more motion blur.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Fantastic movie, glad they departed from the books in the places they did. Radagast was entertaining, which was something his character was not in the original Hobbit writing. They effectively created a screen presence for the -mention- of a name. Jar Jar he was not, as he definitely blocked and slapped around one of the Nazgul as well as stealing one of their swords. Shit didn't seem accidental, which was the primary claim to "fame" that Jar Jar had. Anyway, great movie, loved it from start to finish and it is easily my favorite of the Jackson envisionings. Kudos.

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
On the Gandalf powers thing, in the book he also blasted a bunch of goblins with lightning when they first snuck into the cave.

Anyway, finally got around to seeing it tonight, really enjoyed it. I was worried the extra stuff would feel tacked on, but I really enjoyed it for the most part, Radagast's scenes were really good imo, though the Rabbit sled was a bit cheesy, and the bird shit dripping down his face the whole time looked gross. But I'm glad they landed on a characterization that wasn't 'hippy gandalf.'

Especially loved the scenery. The reason Fellowship is my favorite of the LOTR movies is all the amazing scenery, forests and mountains, whereas 2 & 3 are very grim and grey, lots of rock and empty flat land. I know it makes sense in the context, but it still doesn't make for fun watching. Since Hobbit is set in the same general area as Fellowship I was excited for more of the same, and they didn't disappoint.

Only a few complaints. As everyone has said, the first hour or so dragged on a bit, especially since it felt a little repetitive after they gave the backstory in the intro. Goblin King's voice was really annoying. The fight with the white orc at the end was really anticlimatic, Thorin does this massive charge with epic music, then gets whooped in 10 seconds, and they never even kill the orc. Some of the humor fell kind of flat.

Otherwise I loved it, The Hobbit is actually my favorite Tolkien book by a wide margin, so I was worried about all the changes, but they were handled really well, the writers did a great job tying them into the main story. In fact it felt a lot like what The Hobbit would have been if it was written after LOTR, instead of before. And of course the scenes with Gollum were amazing.

is it just me, or is whoever designed the mountain kingdom a huge Dragon Age: Origins fan?

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I dont get the HFR hate either, at first some things looked kinda fake do to it being so damn clear...but after a few minutes I got used to it. It's easily the most visually stunning movie I've ever seen.

Arakkis

N00b
Angry nerds have to rage about something. Any aspect of the movie that you enjoyed is exactly the worst part of the movie. Maybe of any movie ever and let me tell you how dumb you are for liking it.

sunhillow_sl

shitlord
I think what it comes down to, after trying to explain things to people who haven't read the source material, or the purists that have read the source material and refuse to accept the libertes taken by PJ and Co. to make the films flow better ... is pointing at the score board. You know, when your football team is demolishing another team and they talk shit - there is nothing left to say but point at the scoreboard.

So, pointing at the scoreboard: 700 million worldwide and climbing. Cry more and wail - nothing you say will prevent real fans of this film from getting two more awesome trips into Middle Earth. Have a nice day.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think what it comes down to, after trying to explain things to people who haven't read the source material, or the purists that have read the source material and refuse to accept the libertes taken by PJ and Co. to make the films flow better ... is pointing at the score board. You know, when your football team is demolishing another team and they talk shit - there is nothing left to say but point at the scoreboard.

So, pointing at the scoreboard: 700 million worldwide and climbing. Cry more and wail - nothing you say will prevent real fans of this film from getting two more awesome trips into Middle Earth. Have a nice day.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argumentum_ad_populum

Golt_sl

shitlord
HFR for me personally was awesome to see the movie in, I adjusted immediately and had no problem with it. People are going to react to it differently, maybe some people can't adjust to it or have difficulties seeing things on screen (saw people complaining about scenes moving too fast). If that's the case it's understandable why they don't like it, it didn't detract at all for me though. I do need to see it again at 24 FPS to really know the difference since I've only seen it at 48 so far. It doesn't look anything like TV's with the HD scaling that makes a lot of films look like soap opera camera style though.