Gm5lTqB.jpg

nW8ulPo.jpg

Ye61ARA.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
Mr_Bungle Mr_Bungle The Elephant Ear has finally woken up. Still nothing yet from the caladiums.

JHv0MJC.jpg

The purple lilies are finally here.

xgAuSOQ.jpg

Hardening off some seedlings. The little ones are violas and the bigger ones are zinnia. The zinnia's are going to be green puff balls and I was going to plant them with the purple lilies but as you can see, I really did not time the blooms well at all. I'm still going to plant them out there but they just won't be synchronized. But maybe that's a good thing.

PWrHeiP.jpg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
This is the deepest purple flower that I've ever had bloom. Both opened today.

Bearded Iris

cX59fzy.jpg

3lOsPmk.jpg

hcPN2W6.jpg

Delphinium

xV3SuHr.jpg

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Serpens

<Silver Donator>
Gymnocalycium baldianum:

gymnocalycium baldianum a.jpg

Trichocereus (or Echinopsis or Echinocereus); species unknown. This is my favorite cactus bloom of all the cacti I own. It's also relatively large, about 4 inches across:

trichocereus.jpg

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
Cacti are really fucking cool, a type of plant I can't really go ham growing up here. Maybe someday I'll do some potted cacti. Its cool to see as much variety as you can share, I know I really like them.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
This is the deepest purple flower that I've ever had bloom. Both opened today.

Bearded Iris

View attachment 141232

View attachment 141233

View attachment 141234

Delphinium

View attachment 141235

Awesome flowers. I thought I saw an almost black iris at the store one day, but it was just the picture on the package for a bulb and I convinced myself that the picture must be doctored, so I didn't buy it. I can see that I was wrong. Those delphiniums have such a neat growth pattern.

• 1Like

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
This picture shows all my lilies at once. A couple are bent from a harsh storm a few days ago. The grass spikes around the pole are very slowly coming back. But the osteosperums in between the lilies, it would seem, did not come back. It was a question as to if they would survive the winter or not and that question appears to be answered. The zinnias will replace them when they're ready.

5kyiZx5.jpg

So I got some neem oil. I made a low concentration mix (1 tsp of concentrate mixed in 1 quart of water) and tried it on my baby clematis and this is the result. Those leaves are black and crispy. Almost like ash. They were firm and green just yesterday. I really suck at clematis. That's two now I've murdered.

The neem solution didn't seem to harm anything else I sprayed it on though, just fyi. Just this:

lXhUkx1.jpg

• 4Like

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
So out of all the blooms my grapefruit tree produced, this was the only one to develop :(

sfMwOJD.jpg

Lemon tree has come around, it had me worried losing half its leaves

SOfZ8wr.jpg

But when watering it the other day saw that it is completely full of new growth

zjmZLBJ.jpg

Also, can anything be done about cats using my orange tree's mulch as a litterbox? Fucking things are throwing it all over the back yard and leaving who patches of bare dirt.

• 5Like

edko

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My lemon tree went through a weird spot where 80% of the leaves fell off this winter. Not really supposed to happen down here but something was stressing it...maybe the underlying salt water table, who knows. Anyway, it's back. No fruit yet though. Key Lime tree is just fine by comparison.

• 1Like

Caliane

This picture shows all my lilies at once. A couple are bent from a harsh storm a few days ago. The grass spikes around the pole are very slowly coming back. But the osteosperums in between the lilies, it would seem, did not come back. It was a question as to if they would survive the winter or not and that question appears to be answered. The zinnias will replace them when they're ready.

View attachment 141414

So I got some neem oil. I made a low concentration mix (1 tsp of concentrate mixed in 1 quart of water) and tried it on my baby clematis and this is the result. Those leaves are black and crispy. Almost like ash. They were firm and green just yesterday. I really suck at clematis. That's two now I've murdered.

The neem solution didn't seem to harm anything else I sprayed it on though, just fyi. Just this:

View attachment 141415
I don't see anything about neem and clematis looking around.

What were you trying to control? And, what did you spray the oil mixture with? A spray tank? and, any chance that spray tank was not properly cleaned from a previous use of something?

Caliane

Apple trees and deco cherry from a few weeks ago. I should have gotten out and sprayed THEN.
Apples white, cherry pink. Cherry finally showing signs of growth this year, first real bloom.
Then:
JG2DShr.jpg

o5wOJQr.jpg

i2v66Ox.jpg

Now:
Gypsy moths fucking love apple trees... Finally sprayed today, but largely too late. damage is done.
elQYZlR.jpg

Letting the strawberries take over the garden. some snowpeas by the trellis. rhubarb. the old compost pile has dianthus that survived the winter, from a hanging pot. haha. Also, 3 separate gourds coming up. I think 2 are decorative gourds, from previous years. one may be pumpkin. and I think one potato.
strawberries are at 15'x15' now. no such thing as too many. also have some out front on my embankment, as ground cover. haha.
umu4F7B.jpg

Also, the Clematis I thought died last year. didn't die.
rQt9bHC.jpg

• 5Like

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
Cypress Vine seedlings
yzpGlmO.jpg

BVWxOtJ.jpg

Passion Flower Vine

UnMDhNs.jpg

My Kalanchoe producing another stem complete with blooms.

ptmOjhw.jpg

Uvxcfr4.jpg

FQaFAOg.jpg

My Mother of Thousands has a ton of babies growing in the same container, I feel bad throwing them away.

4xH0Ghj.jpg

Edit; I used the term "cypress vine" incorrectly. The actual name of this plant, is called the Cardinal Climber.

Last edited:
  • 4Like

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
So out of all the blooms my grapefruit tree produced, this was the only one to develop :(

View attachment 141440

Lemon tree has come around, it had me worried losing half its leaves

View attachment 141441

But when watering it the other day saw that it is completely full of new growth

View attachment 141442

Also, can anything be done about cats using my orange tree's mulch as a litterbox? Fucking things are throwing it all over the back yard and leaving who patches of bare dirt.

Cats dislike the smell of rue, lavender & pennyroyal, Coleus canina and lemon thyme and most citrus smells, you could try putting lemon and orange rinds around the soil. Or you could get a small wire fence to put around the base of the tree.

• 2Like

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
So I have a Catmint (Nepeta), I can verify the following. It's that cats just go into the middle of this catmint and lay down and roll in it. I never catch the cats, but there is generally 4 plus locations with places that have been laid in and slept on. As opposed to keeping the cats out, you might give them cat drugs to keep them distracted. I have no idea if this is a superior option or would work in your case. But as a plant, catmint is frequented by bees most of the spring/summer and its flowers aren't bad.

I'll take a picture of it and add it to the thread, this might not be a solution, but I figure it is a suggestion not yet made.

A short googling of the plant, I picked a hit near the top.

http://www.highcountrygardens.com/gardening/how-to-grow-catmint-nepeta-best-varieties/

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
Apple trees and deco cherry from a few weeks ago. I should have gotten out and sprayed THEN.
Apples white, cherry pink. Cherry finally showing signs of growth this year, first real bloom.
Then:
View attachment 141601

View attachment 141602
View attachment 141603

Now:
Gypsy moths fucking love apple trees... Finally sprayed today, but largely too late. damage is done.
View attachment 141604

Letting the strawberries take over the garden. some snowpeas by the trellis. rhubarb. the old compost pile has dianthus that survived the winter, from a hanging pot. haha. Also, 3 separate gourds coming up. I think 2 are decorative gourds, from previous years. one may be pumpkin. and I think one potato.
strawberries are at 15'x15' now. no such thing as too many. also have some out front on my embankment, as ground cover. haha.
View attachment 141605

Also, the Clematis I thought died last year. didn't die.
View attachment 141606

What is that evergreen conifer hedge in the first picture? I really like it.

Also, when you say you spray the trees, do you mean with neem?

Caliane

really? I hate those things. They are the neighbors. I am pretty sure they are Eastern white pine. Which are in no way ideal or intended to be used as a hedge.

I used acetamiprid(ortho) this year, on the blueberries/apples. We'll see how it works. Last year I used ant killer, which worked really well actually. haha. I forgot the brand/chemical.
Gypsy moths are not something we had to deal with in the greenhouse.

Serpens

<Silver Donator>
Planted some dahlias for the first time (dwarfs, from bulbs) and the first bud is starting to open but it's taking a long time - like several days now and it's still not fully open. Is this normal? I'm worried because they only get about 4 hours of sun per day. Also, the last few days have been cloudy. I may have to pull them if they really need more sun.

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
Planted some dahlias for the first time (dwarfs, from bulbs) and the first bud is starting to open but it's taking a long time - like several days now and it's still not fully open. Is this normal? I'm worried because they only get about 4 hours of sun per day. Also, the last few days have been cloudy. I may have to pull them if they really need more sun.

Dahlias need somewhere around 8 hours of sunlight a day if they are to thrive. I did some research and found that this link provides the most practical information that will aid you in your adventure.

Dahlias

• 2Like