The House Plants Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
Seedling update, Cypress vines have sprouted. I will most likely plant more and build up my seed supply for next year.

l1NZCbQ.jpg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
The rhododendron in full bloom. When I took this property over 2 years ago, that ground vine was choking that rhododendron to death. The last person who lived here had zero knowledge of plants, but the old man before that was something of a master self-taught gardener and he built all of this himself over the course of several decades. I am merely trying to restore his old work back to glory. Anyway, nothing else is in bloom right now, just these (oh and a pathetic little rose). But they are amazing.

lNA5tIR.jpg

YjB4lya.jpg

Q6iMMn4.jpg

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
My newest addition to my Mini Phalaenopsis Orchid collection.

dihwkGr.jpg

vDmsrIX.jpg

LakJL8i.jpg

7tK35MI.jpg

This Orchid in particular has a bonus flower Spike already in bloom!

S8dWiro.jpg

The foliage is wider and closer together when compared to my other orchids.

ZJYkq61.jpg

gfWjDNb.jpg

• 4Like

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
My other striped orchid making a little last minuet flower bud! This caught me by surprise, the anticipation is growing.

eSP6Bdz.jpg

• 4Like

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
AngryGerbil AngryGerbil it just dawned on me that the reason my African Violet blooms may have changed color is because I was watering them from the water filter in my house that uses reverse osmosis (RO). This effects the PH, making it more acidic. Im not sure why I did not realize it earlier but I figured I would at least give an update.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
AngryGerbil AngryGerbil it just dawned on me that the reason my African Violet blooms may have changed color is because I was watering them from the water filter in my house that uses reverse osmosis (RO). This effects the PH, making it more acidic. Im not sure why I did not realize it earlier but I figured I would at least give an update.

Right on, yeah that makes sense. I think I remember Monty Don saying that hydrangeas are really easy to manipulate like that. They act like actual litmus paper and will turn whatever color your soil pH is.

The stacked way that some orchids grow their leaves is so odd. I've seen it at my Mom's house too, she has a great orchid-friendly window. It seems to defeat the solar-panel purpose of a leaf. Why put one on top of another? But then again, orchids are the most diverse plant family in all of botany and are very highly evolved and cultivated. There is a possibility that the solar panel arrangement is an unintended consequence of human manipulation of the gene pool. It may be that such a plant is like a chihuahua and can not survive in the wild, only under direct human supervision? Or, maybe I am talking out of my ass. In either case, the double-stack leaves are a curiosity.

Your orchids look great. What part of the country are you in? Do they survive outside?

• 2Like

Serpens

<Silver Donator>
Stenocereus flower and buds:

stenocereus flower and buds.jpg

Barrel cactus (ferocactus glaucescens) flowers. Probably going to move this to a pot and relocate for hopefully better growth.

ferocactus flowers.jpg

Japanese maple seedling:

japanese maple seedling.jpg

• 4Like

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
The stacked way that some orchids grow their leaves is so odd. I've seen it at my Mom's house too, she has a great orchid-friendly window. It seems to defeat the solar-panel purpose of a leaf. Why put one on top of another? But then again, orchids are the most diverse plant family in all of botany and are very highly evolved and cultivated. There is a possibility that the solar panel arrangement is an unintended consequence of human manipulation of the gene pool. It may be that such a plant is like a chihuahua and can not survive in the wild, only under direct human supervision? Or, maybe I am talking out of my ass. In either case, the double-stack leaves are a curiosity.

Your orchids look great. What part of the country are you in? Do they survive outside?

Thank you! In all honesty I did not grow these from seed, in fact I only started collecting them this winter. I was very worried about collecting these because of the negative stigma attached to orchids because they are "fussy". Some orchids do deserve that stigma although there are some that are very easy like my moth orchids as I have learned. Unfortunately they would not survive outside due to multiple factors, the winter being the foremost issue. However there are Orchid species that require near freezing temperatures during their life cycle in order to trigger blooming.

I found this picture showing the difference between monopodial and sympodial plants.

8879987.jpg

Moth Orchids in the wild (Southeast Asia) still exhibit the same stacked leaf pattern however, each leaf is capable of turning towards the light source. Although the older foliage is smaller and will most likely receive less sunlight to photosynthesize, they still perform the functions of the Calvin Cycle. Moth orchids do not like much if any direct sunlight with the exception of the gentile morning rays and late afternoon sun if a thin curtain is used.

My semi-educated guess is orchids like Vandas and Phalaenopsis that are epiphytes evolved stacking the foliage because, it allows for even distribution of weight while clinging to a surface with the added benefit of reducing damage from passing animals and heavy wind, as opposed to a bushy non uniformed plant.

Terrestrial Orchids, on the left side of the above picture, allow for more access to nutrients through the use of rhizomes.

From Wikipedia - a modified subterranean stem of a plant that is usually found underground, often sending out roots and shoots from its nodes. Rhizomes are also called creeping root stalks and root stocks. Rhizomes develop from auxiliary buds and are diageotropic or grow perpendicular to the force of gravity. The rhizome also retains the ability to allow new shoots to grow upwards.

Orchids with rhizomes can be divided into new plants, thus they don't need to stack leaves because they are constantly looking to acquire more surface area above and below ground.

• 2Like

Serpens

<Silver Donator>
That plant looks great Serpens, nice cute little blooms! Do you wait until the blooming cycle ends to re pot or do you re pot during active growth?

I don't follow any rules when repotting cacti, hasn't hurt me so far! In this case, I'll just wait until the flowering is over. The barrel cactus just isn't growing much where it is and last year there was an entire ring of flowers.

• 2Like

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
My cyclamen produced a seed pod! I will start a few tomorrow.

iMajVOC.jpg

• 2Like

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
We need to rename this thread. Something with a lot more controversy. What about,Plants,the Ultimate Tryhards. Here comes some pictures of things that are doing some living. The extra lily shots are for you Gerbil. None of the feature plants were planted this year. When I comment on many colors these are just all the cross bloom/polination/mutation results in my yard. Happy Mother's day. I should have waited for the Sun to illuminate the lilies and columbine, those pictures are in the shade.

Blue Flax #1 + Bee
XSj4zO9.jpg

Blue Flax #2 + Bee
vwAhfqC.jpg

Blue Flax #3
k17kqrT.jpg

Clematis Blooms Beginning
HvJGKgq.jpg

Columbine #1
9jcJIKA.jpg

Columbine #2
7Y08FoM.jpg

Lilac
kmrC8aI.jpg

Honesty
LhLAmVC.jpg

Hyacinth Relative?
DwvpusI.jpg

Dianthus #1
qN3YaCA.jpg

Dianthus #2
NQSsHXE.jpg

Dianthus #3
qlAHZw2.jpg

Dianthus #4
5FeXEvS.jpg

Dianthus #5
FZ4c20d.jpg

Dianthus #6
UYAslGW.jpg

Peony
eO2TX2q.jpg

Wall Flowers (expected)
sL2cceb.jpg

Wall Flowers (Unexpected Crosses)
lmKdAvu.jpg

Wall Flowers (Unexpected Crosses)
TGn2ahk.jpg

Mock Orange Blooms Starting (its got double petals its pretty awesome).
T1L5mQ4.jpg

Last edited:
  • 4Like

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
Super Post #2 - Don't have too many Flowergasms as you pass through lurkers. More people on this forum need to embrace their immobile light converting relatives.

Cornflower #1
vrcz9kE.jpg

Cornflower #2
XCnb5ho.jpg

Cornflower #3
bh9qmFN.jpg

Iris (Lilac in background)
LEun445.jpg

Iris #2
poFE9dV.jpg

Lilies #1
tqHl6Nv.jpg

Lilies #2
Qc6ZsUz.jpg

Lilies #3
l3TiSvd.jpg

Lilies #4
duZlO7t.jpg

Lilies #5
jmJqjpx.jpg

Raspberry #1
h2KWPMd.jpg

Raspberry #2
Tq4cjUA.jpg

Strawberry #1
LgVbdp0.jpg

Strawberry #2
M9HQVer.jpg

Sexiest Tree You've Ever Laid Eyes On #1
gUiQnJq.jpg

Sexiest Tree You've Ever Laid Eyes On #2
z9qzwhH.jpg

Sexiest Tree You've Ever Laid Eyes On #3
OAqxkOq.jpg

Last edited:
  • 4Like

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
I like where this is going, brainstorm away.

Make America Green Again, Green Things Need to do better, a bit more politically edgy.

Plants, How does it work?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
I like where this is going, brainstorm away.

Make America Green Again, Green Things Need to do better, a bit more politically edgy.

Plants, How does it work?

Gardengate, and all things Plantae

Or it could be the chemical equation for Photosynthesis.

6CO2 + 6H2O —> C6H12O6 + 6O2

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user