The Kansas City BBQ "get-together and pig out" thread

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I don't know why I keep torturing myself by opening this thread.

If the US was a rifle target, Kansas City would be the bullseye.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I've driven Indianapolis to St. Louis probably over 20 times and the entirety of Kansas 4-5 times. There's almost no comparison with how dull Kansas is compared to that stretch of 70 that runs from MO through IN.

Once you get near the Colorado border things liven up a bit, but you've also just suffered through some of the most mind numbing 400 mile stretches that exist in the entire US so it's hard to give an accurate assessment.
Western Kansas is a total cocktease, once you get near Colorado you're excited because you can see mountains, finally something interesting to look at. Then after you've driven another 2 hours and you still haven't reached them(and they barely look closer) it's like a kick in the balls.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I had never been to or driven through Kansas until I moved West. At first, it was impressive. I had never seen landscape so flat that you could see as far as the horizon. It was like looking at the ocean. It gets really boring after about two hours of driving. The only changes once you get to western Kansas are the appearance of trees and not-quite-as-flat land. It all sucks.

quse

the pupe
I'm down for BBQ and beers! Strong Ale Fest in Westport is on the 16th and I'll be out of town on the 23rd/24th, so any other weekend date works for me.

Arthur Bryant's really isn't terribly far away from The Flying Saucer (about 8-10 min drive). Like others mentioned, if we want to stay close to P&L, Jack Stack is pretty much the only option.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Let's do next Sunday and we can always catch people on other dates when they become available (more excuses for BBQ!). Especially the 16th because BEER

Anyone have a problem with Jack Stack Freighthouse at say Noon, then wander up to Flying Saucer afterwards?

quse

the pupe
Do we have a head count or anything? Sunday at noon at Jack Stack sort of screams busy to me. Might be beneficial to get a general consensus of who will be attending and call ahead.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Do we have a head count or anything? Sunday at noon at Jack Stack sort of screams busy to me. Might be beneficial to get a general consensus of who will be attending and call ahead.
So far I think it's you, me, Joeboo and Furiouss1. Asked a couple I know if they'd like to go as well but not sure if they want to go yet.

I'll try to remember to call after my last class today.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Prepare yourselves

tumblr_moytapitic1s7y8efo1_500.gif

Someone remind me to take a pic of some brisket swimming in about a gallon of sauce on Sunday, so that I can come home and post it for the Texans, LOL.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Just FYI, in case there are a lot of people standing around waiting when we get there, I'm the big fat guy with the shaved head and goatee in Mizzou gear named Joe
smile.png

From the RL picture thread:
Rerolled

Gravy

Bronze Squire
I hope you guys have a great time, and some good 'Q. I'll be thinking of you while standing at the concession stand of the breweriana show in Collinsville, IL.

And Joe, you ain't fat.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
So far I think it's you, me, Joeboo and Furiouss1. Asked a couple I know if they'd like to go as well but not sure if they want to go yet.

I'll try to remember to call after my last class today.
I missed this. We (wife and I) can make it. We travel to KC about once a month anyway. Send us the specifics, please.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Noon this Sunday November 10th.

Fiorella's Jack Stack Barbecue
101 W 22nd St
Kansas City, MO 64108

So we have 6? Probably need to hash out a number so whoever gets there first can put their name in for a table.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Mostly we're just going to meet up at the Jack Stack in the Freighthouse District @ noon on Sunday and go from there. I'll PM my # to everyone that doesn't have it in one minute.

I will say that the last time I took I-35 between SW Blvd and Bartle Hall they were still working on that stretch, though I'm not sure if it would be a bottleneck at noon on a Sunday during a bye week or not. Most people will prob be coming from the MO side so that may not be an issue.

Oddly enough I've been to Lidia's before but not this particular Jack Stack location.

This group may or may not get pretty large. Mr. and Mrs. Lyrical makes it 6, furiouss1 may or may not have another 1-2 people coming, and a couple I know said they were tentatively going but that's not confirmed.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
So we have 6? Probably need to hash out a number so whoever gets there first can put their name in for a table.
Yeah I'm going to try to hash this out this afternoon. 6 from on here specifically and 0-4 others that heard about it and said that they wanted to go but also didn't want to 100% commit (/sigh). Not all of them are people that I talk to regularly so it will probably be a game of telephone. Planning on a table for 8-sh though.

Edit: I'm actually getting ready to drive down to my school over on Front st. (strangest location ever) to get some work in before they close at 5pm, and my first thought was"Hey, I oughta stop byPigwichand grab a sammich for lunch"followed immediately by"Crap, but we're hitting Jack Stack in just under 48 hours!".

You know you have 1st world problems when you start thinking about cutting back on what you eat 2 full days before hitting a BBQ place.