The Knick

Szlia

Nice necro... I at least hoped for an air date or something...

For info: they started shooting season 2 in February and it is supposed to air in the 4th quarter of 2015.

Szlia

Still great! I am a little worried about the rapey father in law plot line though because it was one of the few weak things from the first season.

Szlia

So many good scenes in a 60 minutes episode!

A bit of a shame the health inspector died because I enjoyed his character very much, but in exchange we get a promising murder mystery/corruption sub-plot.

Szlia

Episode 3 was a notch under the first two. It also makes a strange narrative choice about the treatment of syphilis. The introduced the sweat box in a previous episode and now that they want to give someone a fever, they go for malaria (wikipedia spoiler: both techniques were used historically and with the malaria they are 20 years ahead of time).

I hope the Thack/Nurse Elkins situation resolves itself. Although, I think we saw a little foreshadowing tonight, she may end up being a physician at some point (depending on the show's resources/duration).

All-in-all, very happy the way S2 is unfolding thus far.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I'm surprised not more people are talking about this show. Quite underrated imo.

Szlia

My only beef with the show currently is that there might be one or two storylines too many, which results in some of them getting almost no screen time in a one hour episode. On the up side, they are all interesting, so it's not like you spend your time waiting for the couple stories that are good. Great show.

Gask

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Every time the weekly racial injustice segment of each episode runs I can't help but ask; Edwards why don't you go back to France? You had to have been less frustrated, you were allowed to train, practice and publish without being shat upon... whats the deal? Pack up your family and go already.

I agree that there are a bit too many story lines going on at the moment and most of what we see from them is pretty repetitive. Lucy is dead eyed and mercenary, Edwards is frustrated and his wife lashes out, Galinger is resentful and twisted, the financial admin is corrupt, Leery is a great character and trying to make money as always, ex nun is messing with conception, who cares about Birdy, Edwards former lover is unhappy and playing detective, and Thack is the resident drugged up surgical savant. Some of these characters do not need to put in an appearance each episode for us to know what they are up to as it can be safely assumed that they are doing what they have always done. Still and all it's a very enjoyable show though.

I really liked that moment this episode where Thackery reached out with that phone call to his lover during his crisis of confidence. It was a small detail but it made the character feel like a real person.

Szlia

What a dick move! It's funny because the girlfriend of the lead character in another show just got killed and I said before it happened that the character ran its course unless something new could happen to make her interesting. Here, they do some foreshadowing by reviving the rabbit and give Abigail a new interesting sub-plot with para-psychoanalysis on top of her part in the ongoing cosmetic surgery sub-plot and... she dies. I guess it underlines the idea that stuff can go poorly even with seemingly trivial surgeries, but it's still a dick move. Also, like in the other show, we lose a good actress. Here it's Jennifer Ferrin (also seen in Hell on Wheels).

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
The review I saw intimated that she killed herself. She took laudanum ahead of the surgery, so that when she was put under anesthesia it ended up killing her.

Szlia

It's obviously what killed her, but it's just unfortunate lack of medical knowledge, not suicide. She had no reason to kill herself and, even if she did, why would she choose a way that would hurt Thackery the most?

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I felt it was a missed opportunity for the writers in the show to introduce adrenaline into a human patient to restart the heart. That being said it will probably be the impetus used in a later episode.

It's obviously what killed her, but it's just unfortunate lack of medical knowledge, not suicide. She had no reason to kill herself and, even if she did, why would she choose a way that would hurt Thackery the most?
prior to administering 2 drops of laudanum into her drink, she spent several seconds on camera examining her nose. i guess this could be read as hopeful or despairing. upon my first viewing, i figured she had killed herself too.

wouldn't the nursing staff have administered ether or whatever to sedate her? in her knowing this, she may have taken the laudanum in advance to end her own life. surely, even back then, medical professionals were aware of the synergistic properties that medicines have in interaction with one another. maybe she knew too.

Gask

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Well that ending... was an anti climax. Logically it was bound to happen to him at some point but what an unsatisfying end to an otherwise good show, despite the realism. That said it looks like they might make a third season of this but it wasn't planned from the start.