The Last of Us

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
The super commie perfect town shit was a bit eye rolling. That change from the game was just pure wokism. In the game, they are just some people trying to get a hydrodam going again and Joel helps them repel some raiders. Ok they hook him up with one of the raider horses, makes sense. In this version, the town that survives party on being isolated is going to let random murder hobo take a horse and leave after feeding him a day? They did not think that one through.

Also as well executed as the PTSD Joel stuff was, it kind of came out of nowhere and reeks of them trying to pussify him. If they stick to the original morally ambiguous ending and not the sequel's retcon of it that made Joel out to be an asshole, I will accept this show as a great one season story. I won't be tuning in for the live action version of Tranny Golf Murder Simulator 1000 with some roided out Troon as the focus character. This show lives and dies on Pedro's performance and even if the story for TOLU2 were not garbage, I can't see it being worth watching without him in it. This is particularly true as they are really trimming back the zombie battles (and action in general) probably to save budget. I.E. Cheaper to have Gay Bear Ron Swanson bottle episode than to show them fighting though the school for a milspec battery, as one major example of this. The major condensing of the KC sequence and adding in backstory for the rebels was another. Early on, the extra side bits were pretty good (the 1970s talk show, the stuff in Sri Lanka) especially for world building, but the later episodes its clearly for keeping the budget down.

This show has, and continues to have, great potential. But knowing its getting season two and that the entire first game was crammed into a single season, means the next three episodes are the Ellies Gay BTW DLC, the cult stuff in the snow, and the final SLC stuff. Thats a lot of material being packed into each episode, meaning less action and tension and more "backstory" from Druckmann to shit on the original story with. It also means S2 is assuredly Troonzilla Gigantor focused, which I will not be sticking around for.
The PTSD stuff is coming out now because Joel is finally starting to legitimately care about Ellie rather than see her as just cargo. And caring about someone means fearing for them, and fearing for yourself, because you want to keep being around to care for them.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
My point is that was never in the game. Joel buried that shit and just became more murdery if Ellie was in danger. Its completely new in the show. Its well written and acted, but its not from the source material. If this is just them using the expanded format of TV to add backstory, I can accept that. But we already know Druckmann retconned the masterpiece ending of the first game to make Joel a bad guy in the second and this feels like its laying the groundwork for that. I hope I am wrong, but Druckmann is a virtue signalling hack who can't help himself.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
My point is that was never in the game. Joel buried that shit and just became more murdery if Ellie was in danger. Its completely new in the show. Its well written and acted, but its not from the source material. If this is just them using the expanded format of TV to add backstory, I can accept that. But we already know Druckmann retconned the masterpiece ending of the first game to make Joel a bad guy in the second and this feels like its laying the groundwork for that. I hope I am wrong, but Druckmann is a virtue signalling hack who can't help himself.
Yeah we will have to wait and see I suppose. But it's definitely the sort of character that Pedro Pascal excels at playing. Might have written it around him rather than for virtue signaling or anything.

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
You clearly never paid attention to the first game then. The entire game is basically Joel trying to finally come to grips with the loss of Sara, because he just buried it rather than emotionally deal with it

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Juvarisx

Florida
Everyone saying tampons, she found them before they got to Bill, then they drove to KC spent some time there and when they hit the Indian's cabin it said 3 months later. I dont think she would have any of them left.

Also showing someone having panic attacks while living in nightmare world isnt fucking virtue signaling its fucking human. Oh no the game didnt humanize Joel, so I guess a tv show where you are asking people to be invested for over 10 hours at the fate of their characters cant have characters with depth. Its just tiring.

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
That diva cup thing is probably a pretty precious commodity since the maxipad industry shut down 20 years ago. I wonder what they're using for toilet paper.

Mahes

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I know damn well, if I was not dead, I would be having panic attacks every day. Sleep would be a bitch in that environment. Knowing that civility was gone, and that at any moment in a day, a person could be raped, killed, eaten, enslaved, or become the very thing that you fear, would be serious grounds for PTSD. Lets not also forget the constant need to find basic things like clean water, food, and safe shelter. You would have to be completely void of emotion to perhaps deal with that kind of world.

In short, it would utterly suck to exist.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
I know damn well, if I was not dead, I would be having panic attacks every day. Sleep would be a bitch in that environment. Knowing that civility was gone, and that at any moment in a day, a person could be raped, killed, eaten, enslaved, or become the very thing that you fear, would be serious grounds for PTSD. Lets not also forget the constant need to find basic things like clean water, food, and safe shelter. You would have to be completely void of emotion to perhaps deal with that kind of world.

In short, it would utterly suck to exist.

Sure, and that stuff would probably manifest somewhere in year 1-19 of the apocalypse.

I think my main issue is a lot of the stuff they're trying to do with this show makes no sense against the backdrop of "this is year 20 of shitpocalypse." Some appears to be bad writing from the video game, but the majority appears to be poor choices in embelishment for the show. They don't appear to understand their source material setting's base parameters.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
You clearly never paid attention to the first game then. The entire game is basically Joel trying to finally come to grips with the loss of Sara, because he just buried it rather than emotionally deal with it
he came to grips w/ the loss of sara by brutally slaughtering anything that got in the way of him and ellie, man or plant

• 1Like

Fadaar

That guy
Everyone saying tampons, she found them before they got to Bill, then they drove to KC spent some time there and when they hit the Indian's cabin it said 3 months later. I dont think she would have any of them left.

Also showing someone having panic attacks while living in nightmare world isnt fucking virtue signaling its fucking human. Oh no the game didnt humanize Joel, so I guess a tv show where you are asking people to be invested for over 10 hours at the fate of their characters cant have characters with depth. Its just tiring.

Yeah I actually thought about that later, kinda forgot about the fact that many months have passed

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
What's more offensive? Being called the correct slur or the wrong slur for your race?
it used to be
the annoying part is when i try to educate them on the proper slur to use, since i'm pedantic about it, then i just let go of the thought that white ppl cared at all or even have the ability to tell, and all they ever can see is this
46ae3eab575f441ca3f55846fe4d19be.png

• 2Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Sure, and that stuff would probably manifest somewhere in year 1-19 of the apocalypse.

I think my main issue is a lot of the stuff they're trying to do with this show makes no sense against the backdrop of "this is year 20 of shitpocalypse." Some appears to be bad writing from the video game, but the majority appears to be poor choices in embelishment for the show. They don't appear to understand their source material setting's base parameters.
I've got PTSD from shit that happened 20 years ago, that didn't affect me until I started shaking away defense mechanisms

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
The super commie perfect town shit was a bit eye rolling. That change from the game was just pure wokism. In the game, they are just some people trying to get a hydrodam going again and Joel helps them repel some raiders.
If they plan on shrinking the 5 year gap between the first two games, they might just be ramping up the town's progress so that it syncs with Part 2 for season 2.

Or it's just a bunch of pro-commie propaganda ignoring the fact that this is one of the few specific situations where communism actually works.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I get that its a commune which makes sense in context, but I don't see them letting a complete stranger eat and get a horse given that he knows their location and anonymity is a major component of them remaining apart from both FEDRA and the Fireflies. Made more sense in the game because they were struggling and Joel specifically helped them repel a couple major raider attacks. The seemingly perfect nature of the town was a bit over the top and of course they teased the jewish lesbian Ellie is going to scissor in season two, but it wasn't completely out of reasonability. I mostly have a problem when they change things specifically to score woke points (complete rework of the Bill story is another one) when it breaks why it fit into the game storyline. Palette swapping Maria and Joel's daughter did not bother me because it did not degrade the story and the actresses were solid in their roles.

But I would have preferred that any changes they made would have stuck to world building (the talkshow prequel scene, Sri Lanka, the old native couple, ect) or tidy run times (shuffling or shortening some of the plot points like in KC, the escape from Boston, and the University encounter) rather than goof up the story because they want to virtue signal, even if its well executed. I am on the fence about the PTSD stuff and Tommy being the one who knows the truth about Ellie (was Maria in game) because its not something that has busted the story or weakened any narrative elements. I take issue with the commune because their actions made little sense in context given their super advanced community and Joel being nothing but a one day drain on them (vs actually saving their asses in the game). I take issues with the Bill episode because it was pointless in the context of the Ellie and Joel story, took away all those key interactions between Bill and Ellie, removed the pivotal Joel trusting Ellie to pop a clutch scene, and completely eradicated the gut wrenching impact of Frank's suicide. I took issue with Lunch Lady Negan plotline because Hank and Sam were meant to be just like Joel and Ellie, plus a lot of the dynamics of the rebels being raider cannibals was ditched to make room for their subplot that both went nowhere and ultimately ate into the whole underground nursery grave side story.

TLDR, they can and should change things from the source material but only if it remains consistent with the logic of the world AND is done to enhance the story, not just cram in virtue signaling. This is still a great show but it could have been so much better if Druckmann didn't have such a hardon to inject more wokeness into it. We will see first hand next week in the "DLC" episode, as thats the only part of the original game that was purely Druckmann written and not done by the woman he forced out from Naughty Dog. If he somehow manages to make that stuff even more woke, I think you can safely conclude he is George Lucasing his (well that former writer's) source material.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Lithose would have probably written 100 pages with sources, but communism wouldn't work in a group of 500 people. They'd quickly fall apart. I can't fully remember but a few diff times lithose sourced like 10-20 person tribes was best and there was some max number before it falls apart, like 30-50 or something.

Kaines

Potato Supreme
it used to be
the annoying part is when i try to educate them on the proper slur to use, since i'm pedantic about it, then i just let go of the thought that white ppl cared at all or even have the ability to tell, and all they ever can see is this
46ae3eab575f441ca3f55846fe4d19be.png
You're FEMALE???

• 1Like
  • 1Worf