The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
That game looks gorgeous, damn. To buy a console just for that though :-|

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
from the game's wiki:

There are some performance differences between the Wii U and Switch versions. The Wii U version of the game runs at 720p resolution at 30 frames per second. The Switch version has higher-quality environmental sounds and runs at 900p resolution at 30 frames per second when docked to a television.

is that really the entirety of the visual improvement from the Wii U vs Switch versions?

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Switch has at least some AA. Probably done in post rather than hardware, but it's better than none at all on the Wii U.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Honestly doesn't surprise me much that Wii U version isn't much different. This game spent most of its life being developed for the Wii U.

I don't know that I buy the switch being less powerful than the Wii U in handheld mode unless I'm missing something. Both are 720p and Wii U is reported as having frame rate drops and everything I've seen says the handheld mode doesn't.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
The Switch is more powerful than the Wii U in every way. If anything, handheld mode should really outperform the Wii U since it's rendering at a lower res with the same GPU that is more powerful.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
I caught a streamer playing the Wii U copy earlier this week and it did look pretty rough, both IQ and framerate. Like there was this one enemy that was doing some attack that was graphically intense and the drop was pretty bad; said streamer was complaining about it, like drop to 15 or so frames. I was going to go Wii U, and still have my amazon copy on order but I may go and pick up a Switch on Friday, need to think on it.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Ya I watched some streams as well, and it looks shitty to me. I'm sure the game and gameplay are excellent, but jumping from a Horizon stream to this was extremely jarring. Was still on the fence with the Switch, but reading about it and seeing todays reviews - nothing really appeals to me about the system. Other than Zelda, and Mario in December and I'm not sure that's enough to justify a purchase.

To be fair though, the last nintendo product I bought was a 3DS, and haven't purchased a system since the gamecube or N64, can't remember.

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
So I heard someone killed the final boss in 1 hours from starting, seems you can run to the final area in about 50mins from starting the game if you want.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
So I heard someone killed the final boss in 1 hours from starting, seems you can run to the final area in about 50mins from starting the game if you want.

I call bullshit on that. While you can run anywhere in the game, places are still gated by the toughness of the mobs and the elements. Even if he managed to run to the final boss area, he would be killed in an instant.

• 1Salty
Reactions: 1 user

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I call bullshit on that. While you can run anywhere in the game, places are still gated by the toughness of the mobs and the elements. Even if he managed to run to the final boss area, he would be killed in an instant.

• 1Smuggly
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Heian

Molten Core Raider
Not sure if true. We will see soon.

C52m5QqWMAEfYSN.jpg

Also they tried their gameplay on a 8bit version first. I'm pretty sure this will become Zelda Maker.

Last edited:

Del

Vyemm Raider
Currently sitting on a 98 after 24 reviews on Metacritic. I'm glad I passed on Horizon and went with this instead.

• 2Like
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 2 users

Heian

Molten Core Raider
I'm so happy. This game will justify my Switch purchase. Then there is splatoon 2.

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
Makes sense that it was prototyped as an 8bit game because in many ways it's the closest thing to the original Zelda in 3d form.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I saw that 8 bit zelda and the zelda maker hype and immediately got half-chub. That would be fucking amazing. Better if it was more like LttP, but take what we can get I guess.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Still 98 on Metacritic with over 50 reviews. Easy to say it's the best reviewed modern game now.

Only Ocarina of Time is higher, and it only has ~20 reviews.