The Mandalorian

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
star wars is science fantasy, star trek is science fiction. the technobabble of star trek is a staple of the genre, whereas with science fantasy, despite it being futuristic (er, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away?) it doesn't, or shouldn't, get bogged down by the technological aspects. that's where it comes down to the skill of the writer to not create inconsistencies. as long as it's INTERNALLY consistent, then we don't need to know how much energy output going to lightspeed costs, or what the scanning range of a squad tie fighters would be.

but we end up with episodes that maybe don't DIRECTLY contradict each other, but come pretty dang close. we don't know what the range of a mando jetpack is, we don't even know it's fuel source. is it electrical, like a battery that recharges or does it use something like gasoline where once it's used, it's gone and needs to be refueled? stuff like that can be answered in official technical manuals that you can check out if you're interested but it shouldn't matter to the story itself. it's like watching a thor movie. it doesn't REALLY matter what mjolnir is made out of, the audience just needs to know that it's magical.

but there are too many moments where it feels like knowing the technical stuff would give us the answers on questions we weren't meant to be asking.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

j00t

I generally don't get bent out of shape regardless of how lacklustre an episode is but I have to admit to being a little fucked off with the stupidity of the scene with the praetorians chasing around Grogu. We just saw them being portrayed as badasses in the last episode and they used Paz as a sacrificial lamb to prove that point. I liked that character and they just cheapened the shit out of his death by having those red helmets derping around the room trying to slice merch-puppet-baby.
lol, yeah. i wasn't as upset about it as you, but they even had grogu giggling while he was bouncing around. are we supposed to think the praetorians are a joke or scary? you can't have both

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
This season was the retaking of Mandalore and Grogu maturing into an apprentice. Not seeing some vast difference here. Its basically a serial Western show and we have gotten a lot of that. Do you not remember him spending a third of the first season trying to put his fucking ship back together? I dig you Astro, but you really are the Jim Cramer of entertainment critics.
that name means nothing to me. you can try to be insulting, i dont care, you mean nothing to me either.

• 2Like
  • 1Edgelord
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 3 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
lol, yeah. i wasn't as upset about it as you, but they even had grogu giggling while he was bouncing around. are we supposed to think the praetorians are a joke or scary? you can't have both
it is weird how everything varies from one episode to the other. one episode they cant catch a flying lizard, the next episode they're flying to and from outerspace. you know if you can achieve maximum velocity to reach fucking space, you are going pretty fast. although i have to say the red faggots were pretty shitty in both episodes, but they have their own theme music so they sound like they should be badass. they just arent. took 3 of them to take down Paz Vazla and he was already injured and unarmed.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

j00t

it is weird how everything varies from one episode to the other. one episode they cant catch a flying lizard, the next episode they're flying to and from outerspace. you know if you can achieve maximum velocity to reach fucking space, you are going pretty fast. although i have to say the red faggots were pretty shitty in both episodes, but they have their own theme music so they sound like they should be badass. they just arent. took 3 of them to take down Paz Vazla and he was already injured and unarmed.
i liked this season more than most, i COULD nitpick a bunch of stuff, i just enjoyed it for what it's worth. but you are 100% correct on things just not connecting well. like i said in my other post, too many things were just internally inconsistent, the praetorians least of all. they have unique weapons, unique armor, unique music but outside of that we aren't given ANY reason to believe that they aren't just random c-tier storm troopers under that armor.

i don't know where they would have fit it in, but they should have had a scene of one of the praetorians in a fight where he's outnumbered but still wins without much of an effort. maybe not that, it feels hackneyed and cliched, but in all of live action star wars history we've never seen them actually do anything impressive. they are intimidating just because the music, armor and weapons TELL us they are intimidating, but that's about it. we see them outnumber rey and kylo like 12 to 2 and get their asses handed to them, we see them outnumber a beaten down paz viszla and still feel like the odds weren't TOO much in their favor, and we've seen them not be able to hit a foot tall puppet.

• 1Like

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Praetorian history in official movies and shows is pretty piss poor, for certain. I mean, you get to see them in ROTJ for the first time, but they don't actually do anything. Then in the prequels they get snuffed out instantly by Yoda. The ones guarding Snoke get smoked almost instantly, too. Beating a tired Paz with 4 to 1 odds is literally the only time the have seen competent. Much like Boba himself, they are amplified in the minds of the fans by imagination and a lack of detail on them back when they were first introduced.

As for technobable or rules, its not important the viewers know them. But it is important the writers know them so we see a semi consistent world. If the setting appears to not have any sort of consistent ground rules, the audience breaks immersion and becomes way less invested in the story. Star Wars is a pretty big offender of that sort of thing, but Trek and other settings are certainly not immune to it either. If Season one had a clear advantage over this past season, its probably in this area.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i liked this season more than most, i COULD nitpick a bunch of stuff, i just enjoyed it for what it's worth. but you are 100% correct on things just not connecting well. like i said in my other post, too many things were just internally inconsistent, the praetorians least of all. they have unique weapons, unique armor, unique music but outside of that we aren't given ANY reason to believe that they aren't just random c-tier storm troopers under that armor.

i don't know where they would have fit it in, but they should have had a scene of one of the praetorians in a fight where he's outnumbered but still wins without much of an effort. maybe not that, it feels hackneyed and cliched, but in all of live action star wars history we've never seen them actually do anything impressive. they are intimidating just because the music, armor and weapons TELL us they are intimidating, but that's about it. we see them outnumber rey and kylo like 12 to 2 and get their asses handed to them, we see them outnumber a beaten down paz viszla and still feel like the odds weren't TOO much in their favor, and we've seen them not be able to hit a foot tall puppet.
i think basically the Empire is full of pretty shitty fighters all around. the best one, Anakin was a former Jedi so he knows how to whip ass. everybody else though? it takes 5 of them to screw in a light bulb and they may fuck that up. maybe someday Star Wars will have a new villain that has exceptional warriors in their ranks. its still funny hearing the red faggots music, its full of foreboding doom and then you actually see them meatballing everything they do.

• 1Like

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Thrawn, Vader, Palpatine, and some randos from Legends books are about it for actual competent Imp people in cannon. There's a lot of name dropping about the ISB, but until Andor we really did not get much exposure to them. You can't lump Moff Tarkin in with the good ones because he was the brainiac who wanted expensive super weapons when they could have had literally tens of thousands of smaller ships and ISDs to better control their territory, which is something the Rebels constantly exploited.

Really, the Empire is basically a giant zerg guild with a couple competent leaders fundamentally. That was always the contrast with the Rebellion, specifically the top guys in the Rebellion were gods at whatever they specialized in but were always vastly outnumbered. The best thing Rogue One did for the franchise was make the Empire actually somewhat terrifying.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
damn the armorer is hot, that voice especially

also seriously how do you go through life with the last name swallow

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
damn the armorer is hot, that voice especially

also seriously how do you go through life with the last name swallow

I had a teacher whos last name is Wiener. He swears its pronounced "whiner". No one believes you buddy!

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
There could have been a lot of kids with FAS at his school, I wouldn’t be so sure yet.
Wait, what? Pharma has fetal alcohol syndrome? I know someone with that and they don't act like Pharma at all.

• 1Worf