The Mandalorian

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
On the flipside, Mando numbers in a vacuum only tell us so much. Did D+ lose subs and if so, what is the prior ratio of subs vs viewers and did that ratio fall as well?
well it had higher numbers in the first season in 2019 when D+ launched. D+ has way more subs now than then. Disney isnt putting out quality or innovation anymore, just churning out product.

Cybsled

Mando always did well, so possible theories

1) Some viewers thought Grogu was gone because of how season 2 ended and if they didn’t watch Boba Fett
2) Some did watch Boba Fett and didn’t like it and that carried over to Mando audience. Or they didn’t like Andor
3) D+ price increase drove away people who watched Mando
4) Star Wars fatigue

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
D+ has way more subs now than then.

I could be wrong, but I think I had seen D+ actually has a lot less subs than it did at its peak, but is making far more money, as the people that have dropped off are ones that got it for free or like $1 from cell phone companies or cable companies during that initial subs push. Those deals have mostly expired at this point, so most people on the platform are paying full price now.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I could be wrong, but I think I had seen D+ actually has a lot less subs than it did at its peak, but is making far more money, as the people that have dropped off are ones that got it for free or like $1 from cell phone companies or cable companies during that initial subs push. Those deals have mostly expired at this point, so most people on the platform are paying full price now.
ok, but i was talking about when D+ launched, it has way more subs now than back in 2019 when it launched. Mando is less watched now with more subs. something like a 40% drop or something i heard.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
ok, but i was talking about when D+ launched, it has way more subs now than back in 2019 when it launched. Mando is less watched now with more subs. something like a 40% drop or something i heard.

Yeah most things few (zero) subs at launch, that's what a launch is.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Yeah most things few (zero) subs at launch, that's what a launch is.
It started with more than zero. Mando s1 did better than it does now.

Last edited:

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Really wish I hadn't skipped all the cartoon SW stuff so I could be as hyped as all of you.
I just finished the clone wars animated series, doing bad batch now and will finish Rebels next (did 2 seasons already). It’s worth it to go back and rewatch.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
I just finished the clone wars animated series, doing bad batch now and will finish Rebels next (did 2 seasons already). It’s worth it to go back and rewatch.
Rebels is easily my favorite Star Wars series. I am so glad they are going live action. Can't wait for Chopper to show up.

• 2Solidarity

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
Rebels is good, Bad batch has been good solely for the canon/cameos and new info on the whole history but the actual characters/stories are boring as fuck and I dont really care.

spronk

FPS noob
yeah if time is a huge crunch there are sites that list the "must watch" Clone Wars and Rebels episodes and its not that big but honestly just going through it all is super fast, just an episode or two a night and you'll be all caught up probably before Mando s3 even ends. And there isn't a whole lot more this year anyways with Disney scaling back.

Its a super busy time for TV due to emmy deadlines (episode must air before end of May to qualify) so we're getting a glut of content soon. I don't think Mando s3 has advertised much either, most of my casual extended family didn't even know it had started and they love baby yoda. I'd guess Disney knows its a family/kids show, dropping it now for fans and will start heavy advertising around Star Wars day so kids can see it during summer break. Bad Batch was even worse, they dropped 2 episodes at a time some weeks and running it at the same time as Mando is nuts. Especially since there is almost no Star Wars content now for months. So weird.

Third party number reports are also super sketchy, most of them really have no clue what people are watching and its been shown time and time again they are way off on metrics when Netflix or Disney reveal actual viewership.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I could overlook all that if this season didn't suck, but suck it does. We got our first okay episode in the last one, but really there's been too much trash and noise to get there.

It would have been fine if there was a fast turnaround on the season. It just wasn't worth the wait so far.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
It would have been fine if there was a fast turnaround on the season. It just wasn't worth the wait so far.
it feels like a big setup for the next SW show. maybe Ahsoka or the some other thing. it should be self contained. so far there seems to be no point to this season. how many episodes left? there better be a mythosaur riding before this ends.

Goatface

how many episodes left? there better be a mythosaur riding before this ends.
1680567106951.png

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
it feels like a big setup for the next SW show. maybe Ahsoka or the some other thing. it should be self contained. so far there seems to be no point to this season. how many episodes left? there better be a mythosaur riding before this ends.

Maybe it's me but at the split second Gal laughs in your avatar I swear she looks like Gina...

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Probably because it is. This leads into Ahsoka then Skeleton Crew. It is why Favreau already has season 4 written cuz the shows are all in this timeframe.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
i'm enjoying this season, but i think the general loss in viewers is due to what people have already said. there was a huge gap in seasons, and so far outside of season 1, it's all felt like the show's purpose is just to introduce other shows, and boba fett was received so poorly that i think people have become extremely wary of using their time just to watch long form trailers for shows that are ultimately not going to be any good.

on top of potentially less subs (despite d+ bringing in more money due to subs being full price now), i think it's all a recipe for disaster.

• 2Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Cuckiwan subverted another character as well. That show had a record number of viewers.

The effect of Obi-wan series is often understated in favor of Boba Fatt, when in reality its likely the exact opposite. That's more of a FOH perspective to cite Boba Fatt as a root cause over the more subversive and divisive Obi-wan series.

When throwing around terms like "Star Wars fatigue", Cuckiwan has a hell of a lot more to do with that than Boba Fatt did. People certainly got tired of the Obi-wan bullshit.

Cybsled

Obiwan was so bad, I forgot that was a show until you mentioned it. I had blocked the memories

• 2Like