The Mandalorian

Xevy

Log Wizard
That was why the IG-88B was weird. Because it had no owner and IG-88 essentially did its job for itself. It was definitely addressed to an extent in Tales of the Bounty Hunters.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
R2D2 seemed pretty independent. he was Leia's droid and he said , fuck that shit and went to chill with Luke for a few decades til Disney decided to separate them for reasons.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
That was why the IG-88B was weird. Because it had no owner and IG-88 essentially did its job for itself. It was definitely addressed to an extent in Tales of the Bounty Hunters.

IG-88 was conscious and autonomous. IG-88 explicitly acknowledges his own consciousness in the books and believes himself to be conscious. His base tendencies had to be followed no different than DNA affecting outcome. He was a bounty hunter, just as much as any of them.

The EU does make it a point to infer IG-88's consciousness is exceptional, and that IG-88 might be the only one aware of it, possibly the only droid that was ever conscious.

Last edited:

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
This episode reminded me of West Wing after the first season or so when all sorts of guest appearances started.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
gina carano was in this episode as the queen of the planet, right

Lizzo-mandalorian-e1680711007755.jpeg

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Oldbased

> Than U
There was some nice social commentary in the episode.

No military so can invest resources in making lives better.
People don't want to work anymore = lazy.
People dont want to work anymore = artists.
Tolerate a few attrocities so long as it doesn't rock the apple cart.
People happily 'electing' the old royals because they worship celebrity.
Droids as slaves.
Droids being okay with work because biologicals have such short lives and droids have longer to 'live'.

The last one was the most interesting from my viewpoint. The work wasn't 'hard' because it was literally what they were designed to do and so for them it was just a way to pass the time.

All this gets overshadowed, however, with Lizzo knighting Grogu after he helps her cheat at space croquet.
And here I was starting to think it was only me.
You also left out hired mercs but they have to stay outside the wall and the whole we'll give you land if you swear your life to the city.
The race couple thing was a bit much still but at least it wasn't a tranny gay affair on the run in spaceships.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Mandalorians helmets have built in hair perm devices. Her hair is always going to her perfect every time she takes off her helmet. You think they developed next generation weaponry without developing next generation hair care?! Fucks sake.

• 1Worf

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
This last episode was fucking awesome btw. Classic Star Wars original trilogy camp and world building. Y'all nerds are just too pretentious to enjoy the shit.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Mando also going back to "fuck droids" mode was a bit weird since he's been more accepting of droids every season, but then again these were battle droids which he probably especially hates since it killed his parents. I did really enjoy the ways he and Bo differed when dealing with aliens and droids, that was good s1 kinda stuff.
well r5 did betray his location to the republic

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
IG-88 was conscious and autonomous. IG-88 explicitly acknowledges his own consciousness in the books and believes himself to be conscious. His base tendencies had to be followed no different than DNA affecting outcome. He was a bounty hunter, just as much as any of them.

The EU does make it a point to infer IG-88's consciousness is exceptional, and that IG-88 might be the only one aware of it, possibly the only droid that was ever conscious.
I didn't hate this episode or entire season until I read this post... didn't this season start with Mando going to get a part so they could fix IG-88? What the fuck they better not just ignore that!
I was looking forward to Mando and IG badassery.

• 1Solidarity

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I didn't hate this episode or entire season until I read this post... didn't this season start with Mando going to get a part so they could fix IG-88? What the fuck they better not just ignore that!
I was looking forward to Mando and IG badassery.

That's IG-11 I believe in Mandalorian. Sucks as 88 would have been a cool recurring character to bump into when he's out on missions or needs help. A little rivalry here and there would have been cool. Having 88 one-up him etc.

• 1Like

Cybsled

Well he did find some more Ungolants. If they wanted to revisit that plot point, he could take the droid there

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Well he did find some more Ungolants. If they wanted to revisit that plot point, he could take the droid there
The problem was the rarity of the part needed. He needed to find another IG essentially
Mando also going back to "fuck droids" mode was a bit weird since he's been more accepting of droids every season, but then again these were battle droids which he probably especially hates since it killed his parents. I did really enjoy the ways he and Bo differed when dealing with aliens and droids, that was good s1 kinda stuff.
Those particular battle droids were the types that killed his parents. Which is why he didn't like them.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>

All my EU reading took place between 1999-2001. After reading your post and looking up the books I do remember IG-88 being conscious, funny how memories of shit your read 20+ years ago fade. Fuck getting old! I read the Tales of Bounty Hunter Book or whatever it was called but I don't think I was even aware of the IG-88 standalone book.