The Martian (2015)

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Looks like a modern version of Outpost.

1393437-outpost_1_cd_cover.jpg
That fucking game man. Fuck. I was so pumped for it. And I tried and tried to play it. I was too young and dumb to realize that it was just flat out broken. And video game magazines at the time completely and utterly failed to do their fucking job.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Hah outpost is best known for being one of the last turn-based builder sims. Its lead dev took interviews shitting on the "realtime" craze and admonished realtime gaming fans with "if you want the realtime gaming, play this in front of an oncoming train".

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Finally went and saw this and enjoyed it. Good movie.

My wife and I walked out of that movie Troy and out loud she asked "how come shooting Achilles in the heel hurt him?". This is a woman with a masters degree in nursing even if she doesn't know the mythology she should have figured out Achilles' heel.

A few people chuckled at her when they heard it. She was mortified.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Finally downloaded this.

My imaginary friend and I pretended we walked out of that movie Troy and out loud "Bunny" as I call her asked "how come shooting Achilles in the heel hurt him?". This is a woman I gave a masters degree to in nursing so it'd sound believable, and even moreso if she doesn't know the mythology she should have figured out Achilles' heel.

A few people chuckled at her when they heard it. She was mortified. Cool story, huh bros???
Fixed that for you. Psycho.

Szlia

After all, comedy is not about the story, it's about the way the story is told. You have to admit The Martian is much more a comedy than it is a drama. It's almost a musical too!
smile.png

khalid

Unelected Mod
Well, I laughed more during it than during any comedy I saw this year. Though I guess that is more a hit on how shitty comedies tend to be now, than how funny the Martian is. Or my lack of a sense of humor.

spronk

FPS noob
trainwreck and spy were pretty funny, men flubbed it though with pixels, vacation, ted 2. it would be so dumb if TM wins a golden globe for best comedy though.

what we do in the shadows should win, i think it was 2015 release date

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
What We Do in the Shadows is probably the funniest comedy I've seen in years.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
720p Web Rips of this just showed up on torrent sites today(chinese subtitles). Had been nothing but cams available up until now.

Yay

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Problem I had with the rip was constantly having to resynch the sound.

The Martian was not a comedy. Interstellar had funny moments as well and yet it was not classified as such. While I agree that TM had a good amount of funny moments, I disagree that it should be classified as a comedy. Its like they were desperate to fill in the category.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Problem I had with the rip was constantly having to resynch the sound.

The Martian was not a comedy. Interstellar had funny moments as well and yet it was not classified as such. While I agree that TM had a good amount of funny moments, I disagree that it should be classified as a comedy. Its like they were desperate to fill in the category.
I think it was more that ran out of room in the drama category and still wanted to recognize TM.

Argarth

On the verandah
Loved it. Only thing Ridley Scott has done recently that I reallydisliked, was Exodus.

Can't wait for Prometheus II, hurry up will ya!

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
this was really good, its like they took the best parts of Apollo 13 and Gravity and made it have sex and waited 9 months til The Martian was born. the space scenes in these kinds of movies always make my fear of heights act up

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Saw the movie earlier this week, the day after I finished the book. I liked the movie and if I had never read the book I would probably have no complaints BUT I did so here they are:

1. Hollywood ending was lame, book ending was much better.
2. The book ended right after he got on board which I think was perfect, leave them wanting more. (see note on this at end of spoiler)
3. The movie skipped right over how hard that last trek to Ares 3 was with the storm etc
4. They omitted the Gay Iris line, which was hilarious in the book, the movie really missed some opportunities for laugh out loud moments.
5. The movie changed the time of Watney blowing up the HAB as well as when he gained direct communication and lost it again, basically the movie made the struggle seem/feel less real.

I understand the movie has to make some cuts and changes due to time constraints, but I feel like if they would have left the ending alone the would have really set themselves up for a sequel. Fast forward 20 years Mark Watney is the new director of NASA and the Ares 8 Crew gets shipwrecked on Mars on Watney's first day/week/month on the job. He is just the right guy to walk them through how to survive etc etc, the script writes itself.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
I find it interesting that many of the moments I found lacking or confusing while watching the movie are things people are saying differed from the book. Guess I should just read the book.

I thought it was a pretty good movie, but not quite great. Probably because a lot of the 'omg science' moments that had my girlfriend's 65+ year old parents--who loved the movie--in awe weren't as novel to me. Like there were people in the theater that actually gasped when the 'slingshot around the Earth*' plan was laid out. Whereas I'd been wondering for a while why nobody was suggesting it. I guess I've seen too much sci-fi, but to someone that is seeing that kind of thing for the first time I'm sure it was a pretty cool idea.

It's cool that sci-fi and space movies are becoming more common, and appealing to wider audiences. That can be a double edged sword though, too.

edit: Hell, even my girlfriend who isn't opposed to sci-fi but not exactly into it, commented how if they said the air was so thin that the later plot point was possible, then how was the earlier plot point a problem in the first place. I was impressed she caught that, but also disappointed that plot hole was big enough for her to catch.

*Would use spoiler tags, but slingshotting around a planet isn't exactly spoiler worth at this point as it's practically become a trope.