The Marvels (2023)

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
the director should take all the blame. its their production. even if an exec sticks their oversized nose in something and tells them they want more cowbell. the director can choose to tell them NO and do what they want. that can lead to them getting fired, which is what happened to Edgar Wright with Ant-Man. Ant-Man was a passion project of Wright's and he thought (naively) he could make whatever movie he fucking wanted. Feige said, nuh huh. Wright probably told him to fuck off and then got his ass fired. all for what? some stupid fight scene with Falcon? in the case of the Marvels, Da Costa. directed and wrote the movie. there is no way around it. this was her movie, good or bad. it was bad. when it started screening. the execs flipped at how bad it was and demanded a bunch of reshoots and delayed the movie several times. DaCosta had other engagements and just walked off to do them while this movie went down in flames. Feige had to step in, do the reshoots, edit as much cringe out of this as possible and then put this trainwreck out to die. of course nobody is publicly blaming her because she is a PoC and invulnerable to such criticism.

That's crazy argument to make for it all being on the director. The actors could refuse to follow the script, the cameraman could refuse to roll the camera, hell the power company could shut off the power.

Goatface

1701389255945.png

1701389400750.png

mavels was down to 3 showing this week at local megaplex, today was its last day there.

• 2Direct to DVD
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
View attachment 502524

View attachment 502527

mavels was down to 3 showing this week at local megaplex, today was its last day there.
there really is no point keeping it in theaters anymore. its a massive bomb. maybe the worst in all cinema history. anyone who wanted to see this has seen it and the others are just waiting for it to be pooped out on D+. it will be there by Christmas. its a good move to do that. they can make up their usual lies about everyone watching it and then they can save face because nobody can check their numbers.

Downhammer

Vyemm Raider
Eternals was in that first wave of theater releases after Endgame and covid before people saw the downward trajectory. It's hard to compare Eternals and Hulk because of their position in the MCU enthusiasm timeline.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rude

Potato del Grande
the director should take all the blame. its their production. even if an exec sticks their oversized nose in something and tells them they want more cowbell. the director can choose to tell them NO and do what they want. that can lead to them getting fired, which is what happened to Edgar Wright with Ant-Man. Ant-Man was a passion project of Wright's and he thought (naively) he could make whatever movie he fucking wanted. Feige said, nuh huh. Wright probably told him to fuck off and then got his ass fired. all for what? some stupid fight scene with Falcon? in the case of the Marvels, Da Costa. directed and wrote the movie. there is no way around it. this was her movie, good or bad. it was bad. when it started screening. the execs flipped at how bad it was and demanded a bunch of reshoots and delayed the movie several times. DaCosta had other engagements and just walked off to do them while this movie went down in flames. Feige had to step in, do the reshoots, edit as much cringe out of this as possible and then put this trainwreck out to die. of course nobody is publicly blaming her because she is a PoC and invulnerable to such criticism.
Feige is the one who ushered in this faggotry in the first place

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Feige is the one who ushered in this faggotry in the first place
of course, but apparently Dacosta went overboard with woke. so much so, he had to step in and trim a lot of it out knocking the run time down to just 100 minutes. typical marvel movies are about an hour longer.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
What a crazy chart.

The Incredible Hulk was waaaay better than that chart would suggest. And The Eternals was waaaaay worse.

Fuck, Eternals was way worse than The Flash. Even with the pedo freak playing the Flash.
You should probably look again. Eternals did way better than The Flash.

These prices are also not adjusted for inflation so the Hulk is even less terrible.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
umm yeah thats exactly what I was commenting about. Its bizarre that such a dogshit movie did better financially.
go and check the eternals thread. fans were still willing to support this franchise because you felt you had a lot invested in it. even though the movie very obviously was a pile of shit. now? unless you're collecting steelboxes, these movies are straight up garbage and likely have no arch. just a bunch of ideas to test audiences with.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
umm yeah thats exactly what I was commenting about. Its bizarre that such a dogshit movie did better financially.
Oh, I see, my bad. I thought you were saying the box office was worse and that's why you were shocked, but it was movie quality.

Also realized the inflation numbers were on there and that has it higher than The Eternals. And given the lower budget, seems like a bigger financial success than The Eternals -- just not good enough. But it's not like there's going to be an Eternals sequel, either.

Last edited:

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
buncha racists for not seeing this
Fifth place went to Disney’s “Wish,” which fell 62% from its underwhelming first weekend, with $7.4 million from 3,900 locations. Globally, it’s now made $81.6 million. The studio’s other major film in theaters, “The Marvels” is also winding down in its fourth weekend with a disastrous global tally of $197 million against the reported $300 million it cost to make and market the superhero film.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
lol. they arent going tyo report any more earnings
There’s nothing heroic about the final box office performance of “The Marvels.” The superhero sequel is officially the lowest-grossing installment in the history of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

After four weeks on the big screen, the comic book tentpole is running out of steam with $80 million in North America and $197 million globally. There would typically be optimism that attendance could rebound over the busy holiday season, but Disney apparently doesn’t expect that to be the case. The studio wrote on Sunday in a note to press, “With ‘The Marvels’ box office now winding down, we will stop weekend reporting of international/global grosses on this title.”

The film isn’t leaving theaters just yet, and the $220 million-plus budgeted tentpole is expected to play through New Year’s. However, this memo signals that it’s not expected to generate notable coinage during the rest of December. Over the weekend, “The Marvels” tumbled to 11th place on box office charts with just $2.4 million in its fourth outing.

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
lol. they arent going tyo report any more earnings
There’s nothing heroic about the final box office performance of “The Marvels.” The superhero sequel is officially the lowest-grossing installment in the history of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

After four weeks on the big screen, the comic book tentpole is running out of steam with $80 million in North America and $197 million globally. There would typically be optimism that attendance could rebound over the busy holiday season, but Disney apparently doesn’t expect that to be the case. The studio wrote on Sunday in a note to press, “With ‘The Marvels’ box office now winding down, we will stop weekend reporting of international/global grosses on this title.”

The film isn’t leaving theaters just yet, and the $220 million-plus budgeted tentpole is expected to play through New Year’s. However, this memo signals that it’s not expected to generate notable coinage during the rest of December. Over the weekend, “The Marvels” tumbled to 11th place on box office charts with just $2.4 million in its fourth outing.

Meanwhile in the UK they've increased the price from £7.99 to £10.99 a month.

Sure seems like they expect the customers to pay for their blunders.

• 1Like

Djay

Trakanon Raider
Actually watched this yesterday...my local theater only had 1 showing all day and it had less than 20 people in there. I usually need to see how I feel trying to rewatch a Marvel Studios movie before I rank them, as sometimes I'll enjoy them in the theater, but have no desire to ever rewatch them, but this was definitely better than Eternals/Shang-Chi/Captain Marvel. With that said, I went in with very low expectations, but I left satisfied. It's not Iron Man/Avengers/Winter Soldier level, but it's somewhere in the middle. I did notice a few things that probably got overlooked on the editing room floor, but nothing that killed the movie for me.

It was definitely Ms. Marvel that made the movie work as well as it did, so if you didn't like that series, you probably won't like this either. For anyone with kids, the 10 year old girl absolutely loved it.

• 3Garbage
  • 2Pathetic
  • 2Like
Reactions: 7 users

Fucker

Log Wizard
Up at the usual spots.

What a bad movie. Couldn't they afford to put Cheese Theft into a girdle? She's got the curves of a ruler.

Chris

Potato del Grande
What a crazy chart.

The Incredible Hulk was waaaay better than that chart would suggest. And The Eternals was waaaaay worse.

Fuck, Eternals was way worse than The Flash. Even with the pedo freak playing the Flash.
For franchises, the earnings are partly based on the last few movies as well as advertising and word of mouth for that specific movie.

So Hulk being part of a new franchise people didn't appreciate yet and being after a recent Hulk flop explains it.

The Marvels is after multiple shit movies (Shang Shi, Eternals) and Captain Marvel being only "OK".

• 1Like

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
For franchises, the earnings are partly based on the last few movies as well as advertising and word of mouth for that specific movie.

So Hulk being part of a new franchise people didn't appreciate yet and being after a recent Hulk flop explains it.

The Marvels is after multiple shit movies (Shang Shi, Eternals) and Captain Marvel being only "OK".

Captain Marvel was by no means remotely okay.