The Matrix Resurrections (2021)

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
I think they blew their creative load making The Matrix. There was nothing left after that. They used every cool new trick and creative idea they had.
100%.

MOST artists, whether it be music, art, or filmmaking, tend to be more like Wachowskis than, say, (since this is the movie forum), pinnacles of consistent top-shelf achievements like Spielberg, Tarantino, Scorsese and say, in film composing, Williams.

Hell, this could be the reason only Lana worked on it. The other one probably was like... bro, I ain't got nothin, sorry... you're on your own to try and milk this dead cow.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
Oof, finished this after falling asleep trying to watch it yesterday, what an absolute shit movie. Box office lined up that way too, movie made $22.5m domestic box office while WB was estimating $30m low end and hoping for $50m+. It probably will drive a lot of HBO Max subs this holiday so HBO can't be super sad but hopefully no one gives the Wachowskis any more money.

what a shit story, 2-3 were terrible but this took it to a new level. Forgettable side chars although I thought bugs was fine. The main story made ZERO sense, I still don't really get it - the machine and Io (lol) world are at "peace" but Doogie Howser invented a way for Neo & Trinity to solely power the Matrix? Why the fuck do you need other people then? If thats true, why the fuck do you keep trying to kill them?

All the cameos were utter shit, and its a real mark of shame imo for the entire cast to make an appearance KNOWING the OG Morpheus and Agent Smith actors wouldn't reprise their roles, KNOWING the script absolutely should have had the original actors. Absolutely disgusting. It would have made zero difference to the movie but they should have all come back or none.

The most hilarious part of Matrix 4 is that knowing the director is a tranny faggot, the movie constantly peddles the ideas of suicide, it fucking comes up every goddamn scene. Jesus christ, even a rich tranny faggot can't stop talking all the time about how they want to kill themselves.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

I caught this. Weird little subliminal? message.

This board is too funny.

"I didn't like 2.....or 3...........or 4. #shocked"

Reminds me of Star Wars prequel haters. When you talk to them, they also think RoTJ is shit, and if you really press them, they think ANH is subpar, with only ESB being the good Star Wars movie. So really, they only truly like 1 movie out of 6, yet call themselves Star Wars fans.

You ever think maybe you're not the target audience? Plenty of people like this stuff, but you seem to get so upset by these movies as if you're owed something, and get mad when people don't share your opinion. It's hilarious.

Keep on hating, FoH. Cue the faggotry and Picard emojis. Don't disappoint, you delicate flowers!

It looks like you're just fishing for reactions, but if you're a legitimate poster, I respect your balls. I personally really liked SW Episode III so when I hear people hating the prequel trilogy I wonder if they mean "1 and 2", or if 1 and 2 poisoned the well so much that 3 couldn't have done anything right.

I also liked Matrix 3, and while I found 2 to be pretty mediocre, I liked it too for the new concepts it introduced. Those albino twins were bad-asses, the French guy and his hot wife were interesting. 2 had good world-building, even if it was mostly setup for 3.

Spent my Xmas family night watching Matrix 4 and was bored for the second half or so. There are so many better things we could have been watching that I haven't seen yet. The fight between Neo and Nu Smith was pretty good, but nothing compared to the Burly Brawl from 2 or the rain fight from 3.

All in all I'd say this movie was straight-up mediocre and disappointing. But at least it left politics at the door aside from the two lesbian characters (not that I mind or care, the blue-haired one was kind of likeable, and Matrix was always outside-the-box politically for its era).

In short, I give this movie a 7 out of 10 because it revived some dormant nostalgia and it was good to see Keanu and Carrie-Anne Moss in these roles again. If it were a regular movie it'd be like 5/10 and I'd want my 2 and a half hours back.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Initially I was okay with how meta the whole intro was. It is like, there's no way for them to tackle the elephant of the first three movies so just going 120% in seemed like an okay direction to take it. And then 20 minutes later it was obvious that wasn't a clever plot device or useful tool for them to tell a new interesting story. Just really bad

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Did they ever play Navras during M4?

One of the most iconic music scores and I cant remeber if they used on this one.

No Navras in this one, unless it plays later in the end credits (I turned them off after the first few seconds of RATM, nice callback to M1's ending I guess)

Bro.. let him fap to this
View attachment 389845

Italian women are so fucking hot. I should just move there instead of my planned move to Florida.

Remember, they originally had Will Smith as their first choice to be Neo.

Will Smith, the star of "Wild Wild Smiff", the hit video game from Paul Beenis Productions?

Considering how everything else they ever did was so bad, I think it's far more likely that the first Matrix movie wasn't really their creation.

This is the impression I'm getting as well.

M4 reminded me of Force Awakens a bit, desperately dispensing memberberries for M1 because they just flat-out had zero new ideas.

Also the constant references to suicide were pretty fucking grating.

I don't hate the movie but I don't like it either.

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
See, when I watched this in theaters, I wasn't thinking at all about trans bullshit.

The new architect guy said that both Neo and Trinity died at the end of 3, so the machines found their remains and rebuilt them based off of DNA or something. That part wasn't clear.

When Neo tried to fly earlier in the movie and nothing happened, that was funny. Everyone in the theater chuckled during that scene.
Towards the end when Trinity goes on a flight while carrying Neo, all I thought of is that the machines fucked up and put too much Neo remains into the Trinity project, and vise versa. So in my mind, it made sense. If you don't run around looking for outrage, you won't find anywhere near as easily. We should all know this from dealing with liberals. And I still enjoyed the movie.
A big part of what I hear people saying is: "It wasn't the Matrix. Didn't live up to the Matrix. Fights weren't as good as the Matrix." I wonder what this movie could have done to live up to the hype after the failure of 2&3 to do so? Lots of people still had outsized expectations, comparing this to the original, which is the most outrageous yardstick in cinema history.

The Wachowskis film careers (Along with M. Night's too, probably) were stifled if not ruined by making the Matrix as their third movie. They have been trying to get back to that level of creation with every movie and can't because some times the idea and technology and society and the moment and art come together in such a way that it changes literally *everything*. It infused culture in such a way that you couldn't escape it for 5 years and even now its a touchstone.

Of course without enough time/perspective, the next couple of sequels didn't live up to the bar: I am looking at you, True Detective and Pearl Jam "Ten", something that you have spent decades working on but then hits big and the industry demands a sequel in a super quick turn around. Its would have been tough for any movie to do so but with something like The Matrix, how long do you need? How long and carefully did they plan for Infinity War/Endgame? They made a lot of decision with the sequels that seemed "questionable' but when you make one of the best movies of all time, its tough to wonder what goes into your decision making process.

Of course the Matrix opened doors but it also set expectations, for both audiences and themselves. Imagine having the weight of that hanging over you every time you got behind the camera. Lucas was smart enough to let others direct after Star Wars, which wasn't what it would have been without his wife and the other editors. M. Night hit on a trick and tried to do it again in almost every movie he has ever made, with only one or two hits in the 20 something years since, that he always seems to pull defeat from the jaws of success.

I wonder if both of these folks had made these movies as their 10th movies rather than their 2nd or 3rd if they would have handled the resulting success better; if their processes had been more established and mature.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
So here's a question for you guys:

Did Neil Patrick Harris make a good villain? Was it convincing?

• 3Dislike
  • 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 5 users

joz123

Potato del Grande
Fight scenes were edited to hell. Neo being able to throw up fucking force fields and could redirect rockets but can't fly made no sense. Digital Morpheus was terrible. Blue haired chick was overacting. So many slowmo/running on walls for no reason.

This felt more like a generic sci-fi movie that they had to fit into Matrix somehow.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
A big part of what I hear people saying is: "It wasn't the Matrix. Didn't live up to the Matrix. Fights weren't as good as the Matrix." I wonder what this movie could have done to live up to the hype after the failure of 2&3 to do so? Lots of people still had outsized expectations, comparing this to the original, which is the most outrageous yardstick in cinema history.

The Wachowskis film careers (Along with M. Night's too, probably) were stifled if not ruined by making the Matrix as their third movie. They have been trying to get back to that level of creation with every movie and can't because some times the idea and technology and society and the moment and art come together in such a way that it changes literally *everything*. It infused culture in such a way that you couldn't escape it for 5 years and even now its a touchstone. Of course without enough time/perspective, the next couple of sequels didn't live up to the bar. Its would have been tough for any movie to do so, how long and carefully did they plan for Infinity War/Endgame? They made a lot of decision with the sequels that seemed "questionable' but when you make one of the best movies of all time, its tough to wonder what goes into your decision making process.

Of course the Matrix opened doors but it also set expectations, for both audiences and themselves. Imagine having the weight of that hanging over you every time you got behind the camera. Lucas was smart enough to let others direct after Star Wars, which wasn't what it would have been without his wife and the other editors. M. Night hit on a trick and tried to do it again in almost every movie he has ever made, with only one or two hits in the 20 something years since, that he always seems to pull defeat from the jaws of success.

I wonder if both of these folks had made these movies as their 10th movies rather than their 2nd or 3rd if they would have handled the resulting success better; if their processes had been more established and mature.
the correct answer was not to have made this at all. nobody asked for a 4th Matrix. there was no reason to other than some over the hill goths wanting to see Trinity and Neo not be dead. this didnt help anyone's career. in fact its tainted it for Keanu.

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
the correct answer was not to have made this at all. nobody asked for a 4th Matrix. there was no reason to other than some over the hill goths wanting to see Trinity and Neo not be dead. this didnt help anyone's career. in fact its tainted it for Keanu.
Did it, though? Movies aren't star-driven anymore. No actor is considered "bankable" at this point. People don't go to the movies to see actors, and no matter who you cast, movies will still flop. Even the Rock, the closest thing to "bankable" has had flops. No one isn't going to cast Keanu in anything because of this.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
i think The Matrix was one of those lightning in a bottle things. a one hit wonder if you will. weve seen it happen many many times. they mixed in the right amount of story with other aspects they borrowed from TV commercials and other movies for a culmination that hit all the right buttons for an iconic film. i think it also helps if you have some creativity for more than one project. drugs help.
The Matrix had incredible editing. There are basically no wasted scenes or even moments.

Meanwhile, all the movies that came after it were just filled to the brim with shit that should have been left out.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Did it, though? Movies aren't star-driven anymore. No actor is considered "bankable" at this point. People don't go to the movies to see actors, and no matter who you cast, movies will still flop. Even the Rock, the closest thing to "bankable" has had flops. No one isn't going to cast Keanu in anything because of this.
I disagree, if Sly did another Rambo or Rocky movie tomorrow, id totally go see it. Spidey 3 wouldnt have been as good without Molina or Dafoe reprising their roles. lots of films need the original stars in them for me to give a shit. as much as Chris Evans is a massive piece of shit, i will not ever ever ever give one dime for a new Cap movie if Chris Evans isnt playing him.

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
I disagree, if Sly did another Rambo or Rocky movie tomorrow, id totally go see it. Spidey 3 wouldnt have been as good without Molina or Dafoe reprising their roles. lots of films need the original stars in them for me to give a shit. as much as Chris Evans is a massive piece of shit, i will not ever ever ever give one dime for a new Cap movie if Chris Evans isnt playing him.
Thaaaat's a different thing, though. Would you go see *any* movie with Sly, or Molina, or Arnold, etc: That's what the studios mean by "bankable". Stars don't guarantee box office like they used to. In that past, you had "Star vehicles": You could put Arnold or Sly, or even Keanu in any-anything and people would go see it, and not just them, there were a fair number of folks. Over time, that number has dropped to Zero.

Stars don't mean box office any more, they don't provide big opening weekends, they don't bring in crowds, or really help with press tours. The media is so ubiquitous, so pervasive, while in past that it took a real star to get attention from the limited amount of media bandwidth, now they get drowned out by so much media that two kids with stupid haircuts humming about islands.

As you indicated, though, Keanu was integral to this project and his involvement was critical. His willingness to come back, doesn't hurt or taint him. No one will fail to cast him in anything because of this.

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Thaaaat's a different thing, though. Would you go see *any* movie with Sly, or Molina, or Arnold, etc: That's what the studios mean by "bankable". Stars don't guarantee box office like they used to. In that past, you had "Star vehicles": You could put Arnold or Sly, or even Keanu in any-anything and people would go see it, and not just them, there were a fair number of folks. Over time, that number has dropped to Zero.

Stars don't mean box office any more, they don't provide big opening weekends, they don't bring in crowds, or really help with press tours. The media is so ubiquitous, so pervasive, while in past that it took a real star to get attention from the limited amount of media bandwidth, now they get drowned out by so much media that two kids with stupid haircuts humming about islands.

As you indicated, though, Keanu was integral to this project and his involvement was critical. His willingness to come back, doesn't hurt or taint him. No one will fail to cast him in anything because of this.
Tom cruise has always been a good bet besides "The mummy" Cruise is in adifferent mode than most actors

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member

well, Sly, for sure. i am looking forward to his next Expendables movie. movies can be star driven, they just dont have stars worth a shit anymore. when they were hyping that Terminator Trainwreck film they hyped Arnie and Linda Hamilton for it.

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
Tom cruise has always been a good bet besides "The mummy" Cruise is in adifferent mode than most actors
Ironically, the Mummy made $400+Million in 1999; it was a huge money maker in the same year as the Matrix and the Phantom Menace. It was the #2 seller that year in DVDs behind the Matrix, IIRC, which we had running non-stop at LAN parties.

My Matrix story, one of my favorite stories; one of my best friends, now deceased, had seen it and was trying to tell me about it at work (we worked together throughout my career for 15 years through multiple jobs, I kept getting him hired where I worked; at this time we were PC techs at a hospital.) He was trying to talk about the movie and couldn't find any way to tell me what was going on, and I was lawyerly cross examining him about the movie. Finally he says, "Screw this" and we just left work; he drove me to the cinema to see it at 2:30PM in the afternoon.

I will never forget that viewing, mind blowing amazing everything. The Lobby Scene, I know Kung Fu/Show Me, He's starting to believe, Dodge this, the whole thing. I walked out of that theater affected in a way I never expected, sincerely. It was truly what one reads about how one should feel when encountering true art. It was like seeing Star Wars as a child.

How can anything, any sequel ever compare to that? What they are doing in this movie (Resurrections, I mean) I think was the only way you can approach it: By not even trying. They tried to do more in Reloaded and Revolutions and got crushed for it. The Staircase fight? Older versions of the Matrix/Previous Versions of the One? Upgraded Agents? 100 Agents Smiths? That was all not enough to move the audience. In Revolutions they had a full Dragonball Z fight for the fate of the Real World and Human Race and people hated it.

This was another bite at the apple by doing something completely different. They didn't try to compete with the original but approached it as a cultural artifact and then engaged with it in a completely different way. If you can't beat it, pay homage to it.

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
well, Sly, for sure. i am looking forward to his next Expendables movie. movies can be star driven, they just dont have stars worth a shit anymore. when they were hyping that Terminator Trainwreck film they hyped Arnie and Linda Hamilton for it.
That's because we're old and have member berries for when there were stars. Star vehicles don't exist; they don't open movies *which don't have pre-existing franchises* then. Just putting Sly in a movie by himself will not guarantee a big opening weekend. It will not guarantee heavy free/non-paid media coverage, without heavy marketing investment. Tom Cruise is pretty close but makes lots of lower budget movies (60-ish million, rather than 150-200mill budget movies). Putting Dwanye Johnson in a movie will not guarantee a big opening weekend.

Franchise movies will still open big, which is why they are making/remaking Baywatch/Jumanji/Expendables/F&F/Terminator/ Soft Reboots/ whatever but people, no matter who don't, which was my point. They will try to bring Arnold and Linda back to push up interest in the Terminator movie but that is topping for the sundae.