The Meat Thread

All things meat!

Just bought a sirloin from the local dumpy grocery store, $5.65. Cooked it up on the stove in a frying pan on medium high with a little canola oil. Scary to delicious in 8 minutes.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I was almost going to demand a picture, but then I realized I was asking another man for a pic of his meat.

Nevermind

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I took the Walmart challenge and bought some steaks in the black package. They were good, but then again, most steak is if you grill it at home and prepare/season it yourself.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I'm making a grilled flank steak on Sunday using Bobby Flay's recipe. Shit promises to be bangin.

I think it is funny how some cuts of meat like flank steak that used to be kind of inexpensive garbage cuts became popular with new cooking techniques and recipes, so now they are super expensive. Like london broil.

Salshun_sl

shitlord
I still want to get some Mishima beef. Makes Kobe look like McD's dollar menu. I've heard the marbling looks like a satellite map of the LA freeway system, but getting it anywhere other than Japan is impossible. It'd be like saying you ate a unicorn's heart in terms of scarcity.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
what the fuck, it looks crazy

rrr_img_32202.jpg

Salshun_sl

shitlord
what the fuck, it looks crazy
Remember, it's the fat that gives meat its' flavor. If I believe 1/10 of the reviews I read, that shit is heavenly ambrosia eaten with a spoon as you tear up and see through time. I will have that as a steak, maybe some mild salt and pepper, nothing else, period. Mishima will ruin all other meat for me.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
It looks like 3/4 of it is fat? Not that that's a bad thing mind you but how much of that thing cooks away?

If I saw that in a store and didn't know what it was, I'm not sure I would buy it...it almost doesn't look healthy. (like it would harm if you ate it)

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
It's not much different than bacon/side pork except for the fact that it allegedly comes from a cow.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
It looks like 3/4 of it is fat? Not that that's a bad thing mind you but how much of that thing cooks away?

If I saw that in a store and didn't know what it was, I'm not sure I would buy it...it almost doesn't look healthy. (like it would harm if you ate it)
It doesn't really cook away, this meat you probably either eat raw or seared rare.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
So anyone here has eaten Horse meat? I mean on purpose, not the accidental type.
I've eaten it probably a dozen or so times, although I'm not a huge fan of it. It always tasted like really low-grade beef to me. I've had it grilled in the form of kabobs, boiled in pasta dishes, and roasted in rice dishes.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
I took the Walmart challenge and bought some steaks in the black package. They were good, but then again, most steak is if you grill it at home and prepare/season it yourself.
This. I find it hard to order steak at restaurants anymore when I can grill them myself and they taste the same or better. My secret weapon is a made in Oklahoma dry rub called Head Country.

Do yourselves a favor and get a shaker or ten.

Edit: How does everyone take their steak? I am a "as rare as you can get it" guy and even in Oklahoma I get some looks when I order.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I like medium rare, on the rarer side of that though. Most restaurants serve it to me overdone when I ask for medium rare. Had a nice rib eye for dinner today, just under a pound. One end was a lot thicker than the other, so unfortunately the thinner end was a bit overdone, but overall a delicious steak. I'm not a fan of most sauces and seasonings though, I just like good old Montreal steak spice.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
made some burgers for the first time on my new grill tonight. 6 oz each, maybe 5. Let them come up to room temperature, little salt and pepper on both sides. Let the grill come up to about 550, put the burgers on, turned it down to medium, flipped after 4 minutes, 4 more minutes added cheese, covered again for a minute, perfect medium rare.

that was my meat today.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Medium Rare, same as Eomer.

At my brother's wedding reception we went to his friends fancy hipster restaurant. Had beef cooked sous vide. Not even sure what cut or anything about what he had in the bag. That shit was delicious. Never had steak that tender in my life. Of course my mother wouldn't eat hers because it was pink, tried to explain to her that it had cooked for 20 hours or whatever it is. Didn't matter. Double beef for me!

Anyways, thought I'd add something besides "MEAT + FIRE = GOOD!".

Though it seriously does. My buddy who worked in some fancy restaurants for years used to be our BBQ chefster. Bacon wrapped everything is amazing. Try it on your corn on the cob next time. Little salt little pepper on the corn, wrap it in bacon and hold it on with toothpicks, wrap it in foil and chuck that bitch on the grill. Or in the coals. Or in a campfire. When you pull it out and separate all the bacon fat and grease is soaked in to the corn and it's so good my dick just got hard typing this sentence.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I generally eat steaks medium rare.

Since Eomer brought up rib eyes, sometimes I wrap the ribeyes in tinfoil and bake them on low heat (around 210F) for several hours then sear them on both sides. The intent behind this is the same as slow-cooking ribs. The fat renders, the water evaporates and the collagen melts. I only do this to ribeyes because they have so much fat on them.

Here's a good article on meat:
http://www.amazingribs.com/tips_and_...t_science.html

ezcw_sl

shitlord
I just want to evangelize for the magical cut of meat that is the tri-tip. I usually find them from 1.5-4 pounds. It tastes like a cross between a brisket and a ribeye. Cook it reverse-sear style to 125-135(depending on how done you like it), pull it, and let it rest to finish cooking. Relatively inexpensive cut of meat too, fwiw.