The Meat Thread

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Medium Rare, same as Eomer.
Though it seriously does. My buddy who worked in some fancy restaurants for years used to be our BBQ chefster. Bacon wrapped everything is amazing. Try it on your corn on the cob next time. Little salt little pepper on the corn, wrap it in bacon and hold it on with toothpicks, wrap it in foil and chuck that bitch on the grill. Or in the coals. Or in a campfire. When you pull it out and separate all the bacon fat and grease is soaked in to the corn and it's so good my dick just got hard typing this sentence.
I know this is the meat thread, but also try this for corn on the cob(this is my favorite side dish to grill along with steaks)

When you set your steak out to come up to room temp about an hour before you grill, at this point slather your corn on the cob(fully shucked) in olive oil. Let that soak in over the hour your steaks are sitting out, then slather the corn again in olive oil one last time right before they hit a medium-heat grill. I have 4 burners on my grill, so I crank 2 up to high for the steaks and leave 2 at medium for the veggies. The corn needs to be turned every 5 minutes or so, and it'll cook for a total of about 20 minutes, which is right about the time it'll take your steaks to be done with their grilling + sitting for 10 minutes afterwards. The corn just goes straight onto the medium heat grill, no foil, no grilling in the husk, just right onto the grill(if you did the oil properly, it'll stay juicy and wont dry out or burn) Make a small plate full of grated parmesan cheese + fresh ground pepper, mix it up, and roll your piping hot corn on the cob in it and serve. The cheese sticks well to the hot corn, the oil soaked in to make it super tender once cooked, and the saltiness of the parmesan + the pepper is the perfect salt/pepper combo. No butter or anything needed. Basically you have awesome cheesy corn on the cob. It's fucking amazing.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I just want to evangelize for the magical cut of meat that is the tri-tip. I usually find them from 1.5-4 pounds. It tastes like a cross between a brisket and a ribeye. Cook it reverse-sear style to 125-135(depending on how done you like it), pull it, and let it rest to finish cooking. Relatively inexpensive cut of meat too, fwiw.
For some reason California gets to eat all of the nation's tri-tip. I had never heard of it before I went to CA (and I was on my FFA meat judging team), and every damn cafe in Northern Cal has a tri-tip sandwich. Haven't seen one in a restaurant since I left CA either, but I now know about it and I have mastered grilling them. Guaranteed to impress people that haven't had it before if you do a good job of grilling it.

BTW, there is only one tri-tip per cow, which sort of explains why you don't see them at the meat counter much, especially in places that cut their own meat. It's just too hard to get a good display of them to justify a slot in the cooler. They used to just grind them or cut them up for stew meat which is a real shame. I guess now they just send them all to California where they will be appreciated.

Unidin

Molten Core Raider
California is the largest dairy producer in the nation, so it would make sense that there's alot of meat there.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
For some reason California gets to eat all of the nation's tri-tip. I had never heard of it before I went to CA (and I was on my FFA meat judging team), and every damn cafe in Northern Cal has a tri-tip sandwich. Haven't seen one in a restaurant since I left CA either, but I now know about it and I have mastered grilling them. Guaranteed to impress people that haven't had it before if you do a good job of grilling it.

BTW, there is only one tri-tip per cow, which sort of explains why you don't see them at the meat counter much, especially in places that cut their own meat. It's just too hard to get a good display of them to justify a slot in the cooler. They used to just grind them or cut them up for stew meat which is a real shame. I guess now they just send them all to California where they will be appreciated.
Now that I think about it, I don't think I ever had it until I moved here either. I met my dad down in LA a couple weeks ago while he was at some convention and he said he tried BBQ tri-tip and thought it was one of the best things he's ever had and I was so surprised that he never even heard of it.

joeboo - You should replace the pepper with chili powder on that corn. So good.

nicks-crispy-tacos-elote.jpg

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Truth. The only time I have ever seen, and consumed, tri-tip was in California a couple years ago.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Well shit, I am glad I live in California then! Tri-tip is one of my favorite meats to grill up. Usually when we have a BBQ here I will use the coal side of my grill to do the Tri-tip, and the gas side to do chicken, veggies, sausage, or whatever else we are cooking that day. It took me a while to learn to BBQ it properly because I am a bit impatient, and cooking steaks and burgers are typically pretty quick, which is what I was used to cooking. What I do now is stack up a pyramid of coals on one side of the grill and let them get white hot. Once it's ready I put the tri-tip right over the coals for just a couple minutes on each side to sear it, then set it off to the side of the coals and close up the grill. Roughly 15 minutes on each side, take it off and let it rest for about 10 minutes. Usually gets me a nearly perfect medium rare in te middle, while the ends are cooked through for pussies who don't like their meat to be red.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
the ends are cooked through for pussies who don't like their meat to be red.
Haha, that is one nice thing about tri-tip. It almost kills me to cook a steak well done, but I can at least let the dumb people eat the ends of a tri-tip without intentionally ruining a piece of meat.

Adam12

Molten Core Raider
Tri-tip = the most common cut you'll get at a Brazilian churrascaria, so it's common outside of CA if you know what you're looking for. Best way to prepare it is in a ziplock bag with a heavy dose of worcestershire sauce and a few cloves of garlic. Tenderize it with a fork and add black pepper, too. Grill that shit rare to med-rare and it'll come out perfect every time.

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
I love Brazilian steakhouses. Fuck sides, just keep feeding me steak, steak, and more steak.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
I love Brazilian steakhouses. Fuck sides, just keep feeding me steak, steak, and more steak.
Yup, I cannot understand the people who head the to salad bar first. I don't go to those places for anything other than the delicious meats.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
It looks like 3/4 of it is fat? Not that that's a bad thing mind you but how much of that thing cooks away?

If I saw that in a store and didn't know what it was, I'm not sure I would buy it...it almost doesn't look healthy. (like it would harm if you ate it)
Looks like brain.

TXjohnny

<Bronze Donator>
I am still getting used to a new grill I bought a couple of weeks ago. My wife and I grill out easily 3-4 times a week most of the year, steaks, chicken, fish, burgers, pork chops, sausage. Anyway, we grill A LOT.

Does anyone else get their meat from Omaha Steaks? I am lucky enough to have an Omaha store nearby, love their chicken, really good steaks, but pricey.

Adam12

Molten Core Raider
The HEB's in Austin (not sure where exactly you're at) typically have amazing steaks. Picked up 2 lbs. of tri-tip for $8 a few weeks ago and they were great. They often have ribeye specials through the middle of the week, too.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Most larger cities will have several butcher shops. In fact, butcher shops are kind of becoming a very trendy/Hipster thing to open, they are popping up all over the place, they're almost like the cupcake shops of a couple years ago.

I highly recommend getting your steaks(or any meat) from a local butcher. I'm lucky enough to have one a few miles from where I work, and the meat is so fresh that they have a chalkboard on the wall telling you the exact address of which local farm the items came from that day/week. (beef, chicken, pork, eggs, etc). There's nothing fucking better than walking in to your local butcher, ordering a pound of bacon, and discovering that it amounts to about 4 pieces. And Ribeyes as thick as your forearm. Just awesome stuff. And the prices generally aren't any more expensive than non-sale prices at your local supermarket.

If any of you live within an hour radius of Kansas City, this place is the shit:http://www.thelocalpig.com/. You can even take classes there on how to butcher your own pig, it's crazy.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Kansas City is meat lover's heaven. I used to go there for work several times a year and tried to ingest as much meat as possible every time I was there. I was so fucking angry one time when one of my coworkers insisted that we go to the Outback Steakhouse for dinner one night. Seriously? We're surrounded by great barbecue places and steak houses and we're going to fucking Outback? Fucking asshole.