The Meat Thread

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Kansas City is meat lover's heaven. I used to go there for work several times a year and tried to ingest as much meat as possible every time I was there. I was so fucking angry one time when one of my coworkers insisted that we go to the Outback Steakhouse for dinner one night. Seriously? We're surrounded by great barbecue places and steak houses and we're going to fucking Outback? Fucking asshole.
If it makes you feel any better, my relatives from Florida came to town last week and my dad took them to Red Lobster here in KC. Getting screwed by idiots who love chain restaurants works both ways.

Also, your first sentence pretty much explains why everyone that actually lives here is fat(me included)

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Also, your first sentence pretty much explains why everyone that actually lives here is fat(me included)
This guy is the new coach of the KC Chiefs.

oWpxtIK.jpg

He will be dead within 2 years.

http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articl..._reid/13536011

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
If it makes you feel any better, my relatives from Florida came to town last week and my dad took them to Red Lobster here in KC. Getting screwed by idiots who love chain restaurants works both ways.
That's so lame. A co-worker and I were down in Orange County a couple weeks ago for business and we asked the client what good restaurants were in the area. The bitch suggested fucking Cheesecake Factory. We went to a ramen place instead.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
On the topic of tri-tip; my mother in law made ~20 lbs for fathers day. The only thing she does is sprinkle this Brazilian salt (I think it's something like this:http://www.atthemeadow.com/shop/inde...roducts_id=569), and lets the meat warm up a little. Then straight on the grill. It's fantastic. There's also a 'salsa' side dish that's sliced onion, jalapeno, and cilantro all soaked in vinegar and olive oil. A piece of meat + 'salsa' = a happy mouth.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I guess I'm fortunate to have lived in California pretty much all of my life. I didn't know there was such a thing as NOT having tri-tip. They often have those truck-trailer grills out in front of grocery stores in the summer with a couple of guys grilling tri-tip up all day long too. That shit is so good, and relatively inexpensive all things considered if you just want to grab it for lunch or something.

On the topic of meat however, one of the best steaks I've ever had was buffalo when I was in Colorado visiting friends once. Is that typically considered better than normal beef, or did I just get lucky and have a wonderful chef? Also, I've looked around some locally, but aside from it being fairly rare, it seems outrageously expensive and I always just end up getting a much larger quantity of cow instead. I'm also afraid that if I fucked it up I'd be pissed that I ruined an expensive piece of meat like that. Anyone have experience with buffalo?

Adam12

Molten Core Raider
It's bison (buffalos are in Africa/Asia, we have bison in North America), and yeah I cooked in a place that made bison chili, burgers, sausage (in house, both pure bison and a pork mix) and occasionally steaks when we could get the meat at a decent price. It's not much different than cooking beef, you just have to keep in mind that it cooks faster due to the lack of fat marbling. The same seasoning rules apply: the simpler the better, using pepper and garlic as your main flavors, lightly salting only after it hits the grill. The only way you'll ruin it is by overcooking, so watch it closely and pull it sooner than you would beef.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
The only place I have seen tri-tip over here in VA is in one of those peruvian chicken places. You can never find it in a store or restaurant.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I've had bison burgers before. Wrigley Field just started selling Bison hot dogs the past couple years ever since the Ricketts Family bought the Cubs... they own a bison farm/field/herd/whatever.

I had it once but couldn't really tell the difference with all the stuff I put on it.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, I don't find there's a huge difference between bison and beef burgers really. Steaks on the other hand the difference is pretty noticeable, and personally I prefer bison.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
This thread isn't nearly as gay as I hoped...err thought it would be.

Tea_sl

shitlord
Enjoying a nice cut of beef is a singular experience, but a good dry sausage is work of art. Salami, Pepperoni, Spanish/ Portuguese chorizo, Longaniza, Soppressata. An authentic dry sausage is what makes me love food. I mean sausage is general is just delicious with a special shout out to merguez and goetta.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
It's bison (buffalos are in Africa/Asia, we have bison in North America), and yeah I cooked in a place that made bison chili, burgers, sausage (in house, both pure bison and a pork mix) and occasionally steaks when we could get the meat at a decent price. It's not much different than cooking beef, you just have to keep in mind that it cooks faster due to the lack of fat marbling. The same seasoning rules apply: the simpler the better, using pepper and garlic as your main flavors, lightly salting only after it hits the grill. The only way you'll ruin it is by overcooking, so watch it closely and pull it sooner than you would beef.
Yeah, I knew it was bison from looking for it in the store, I just wasn't thinking straight
tongue.png

Thanks for the tips. Maybe I'll give it a shot soon'ish. I need to hop over to the grill thread and check that out first though, I need one and I've never really cooked a steak in a pan. And I doubt I want to try bison for the first time (well, or ever) on my George Foreman.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Bison is great but you kind of have to know what it is or you couldn't tell it from beef. Personally it's not worth the large premium you have to pay, but I had a bison ribeye at Ted Turner's restaurant in Bozeman, MT once and it was a good fucking steak, as much as I hate to admit it as a beef producer.