The Metal Thread

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Mailman brought me this today:

View attachment 79961

so, this new Neurosis album... i'm a little disappointed in it. it is very short for a Neurosis record (5 songs, 40 minutes)... and doesn't seem nearly as inspired as their previous one (Honor Found In Decay).

the Neurosis album it bears the most aural resemblance to is Times of Grace. which IMO was a pretty awkward album, where they had started drifting away from the all-out brutal wall-of-sound doom/sludge sound, but hadn't quite found their voice yet as far as their apocalyptic folk doom metal style they started doing with A Sun That Never Sets.

that sound became such a natural thing for them, as evidenced in Steve and Scott's solo/side-projects. with this album, i feel like they must have made a conscious effort to take out their folk influence. and the album suffers for it.

they still are doing the loud/quiet contrast thing, but the quiet parts are mostly dissonant noodling.

still, while being disappointing for a Neurosis record, its still pretty great in the context of "post-metal" as a whole.

best track on the album is the last track, Reach:

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Just got back from watching Slayer in concert. Jesus Christ were they good (Death Angel/Anthrax were openers).

Ichu

Molten Core Raider
Alestorm show was cancelled. Womp womp.

Also

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Sinnes

Molten Core Raider
Just got back from watching Slayer in concert. Jesus Christ were they good (Death Angel/Anthrax were openers).

Glad to hear they still kick ass. Haven't seen Slayer since '04 or '05. Great show, indoor venue.. the way i like it. Anthrax and Death Angel was must have been nice as well:)

One of my favorite live DVDs:

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

xzi

Mouthbreather
Few posts up, I definitely agree the new Neurosis album the best track was the last. What a motherfucker of a closer. The rest of the album I didn't find myself wanting to re-listen instantly, but that song I did.

---- song

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
^ i actually almost mentioned that Mouth of the Architect album as being a recent album that has done a better version of what Neurosis was going for on Fires.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
So bought two tickets to see Opeth in Houston last Thursday, but ended up having to go out of town for business to DFW on short notice. Was anyone from the forums at the show? Curious how it turned out. Anyways, some Opeth in hopes of me seeing them at some point:

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user