The New England Patriots 2014 Playoffs Thread

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Its a contract year for Jimmy isn't it? The secondary was simply decimated overall and safety play was awful most of the time all season. Elam is looking bustworthy but I realize safety isn't really a plug and play draft pick so maybe its expecting too much too soon.

Fennin

Golden Knight of the Realm
I was at the game, I remember hearing Vereen being announced as ineligible. How many times did they do this?
Three times, in the third quarter while trailing 28-14.

It will probably be the first and last time you ever see that formation "legal" in a game again. Pretty weird series to watch.

Uber Uberest

rdr^2
<Bronze Donator>
Three times, in the third quarter while trailing 28-14.

It will probably be the first and last time you ever see that formation "legal" in a game again. Pretty weird series to watch.
Well the formation is legal. It's the same formation Belichicks buddy Nick Saban used this year against LSU.

Fennin

Well the formation is legal. It's the same formation Belichicks buddy Nick Saban used this year against LSU.
Was a formation specifically designed to break the substitution rules, without breaking any rules due to a technicality . The fault actually lies with the Refs, under the substitution rules the defense is allowed time to line up and make substitutions. While not required by rule for ineligibles, the Ref "should" have allowed Baltimore to substitute properly.

The issue was the speed at which New England was allowed to snap the ball after announcing Vereen ineligible and getting into Formation.

Uber Uberest

rdr^2
<Bronze Donator>
There was no substitution. The ref owes nothing to Baltimore. I don't understand how Harbaugh doesn't call a timeout after the Patriots run that play the first time. Instead he chooses to get his head kicked in by it and then take a 15 yard penalty. Such horrible coaching by one of the better coaches in the NFL.

I've just finished watching the game, Vereen declares himself while the Pats are huddled, what "speed" are you and Harbaugh referring to?

Brady points to Vereen and yells to Baltimore and to the refs "34 is ineligible DONT COVER HIM"

What more can they do?

01/10/15 Never Forget

edelman+amendola+TD+GIF.gif

Fennin

There was no substitution. The ref owes nothing to Baltimore. I don't understand how Harbaugh doesn't call a timeout after the Patriots run that play the first time. Instead he chooses to get his head kicked in by it and then take a 15 yard penalty. Such horrible coaching by one of the better coaches in the NFL.

I've just finished watching the game, Vereen declares himself while the Pats are huddled, what "speed" are you and Harbaugh referring to?
The substitution rule in question is most likely this:

"The Umpire will stand over the ball until the Referee deems that the defense has had a reasonable time to complete its substitutions."

Ineligible players fall under a gray area under the current rules when on offense. During punt and field goal formations the defense is allowed similar protections as the substitution rule above when dealing with Ineligibles. For whatever reason they aren't allowed the same protections when defending against an offensive formation.

Harbaugh is complaining that they weren't given enough time to identify where Vereen lined up in the formation after being declared ineligible. Harbaugh's argument is not supported by the rulebook. To my knowledge this is the first time ineligibles have ever been brought up in the "quick snap" argument. That is why I am interested in how it plays out, as it is something the NFL will have to address after that series of plays.

Nobody is arguing if the plays were legal or not, because they were, the issue is should they be.

Uber Uberest

rdr^2
<Bronze Donator>
There will be no addressing, but keep fighting the good fight bro. Don't understand what you and Harbaugh don't understand.

It's no different then when the Pats got their head kicked in by the wildcat years ago. Teams will adjust.

Fennin

There will be no addressing, but keep fighting the good fight bro. Don't understand what you and Harbaugh don't understand.

It's no different then when the Pats got their head kicked in by the wildcat years ago. Teams will adjust.
Not my argument, don't have a dog in the fight. I'm just curious as to how it will play out from here, as this is the first time its happened.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
Awesome play, most people forget... He was a very good quarterback in college... Better receiver in the pros though.. Loved Suggs reaction... Rush, turn to pursue then slow down and stop, it was like he went, oh fuck he is throwing it.....