The Official Guitar Thread

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I really like Sweetwater, they're definitely the best out of all the big online music retailers. Worst thing about them is their salesmen try too hard to please you, which isn't necessarily a bad problem to have lol.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
New Big Wreck! They're playing in Hollywood Dec 6. It's a wednesday though, and fuck driving up into LA. Ugghghg

xKALECx

Golden Knight of the Realm
New Big Wreck! They're playing in Hollywood Dec 6. It's a wednesday though, and fuck driving up into LA. Ugghghg
Heard 2 other songs off the upcoming EP and they are excellent as well. If you've not seen them live, I'd strongly encourage making the drive. Ian Thornley live is a whole other level of guitar.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Heard 2 other songs off the upcoming EP and they are excellent as well. If you've not seen them live, I'd strongly encourage making the drive. Ian Thornley live is a whole other level of guitar.
For sure, I’m a big fan and will most likely try to go. I missed out on dream theater, animals as leaders, Devin Townsend back in August I think it was. Had legit reasons for not going but Devy is S tier for me with AAL right up there as well. Legit depressing

xKALECx

For sure, I’m a big fan and will most likely try to go. I missed out on dream theater, animals as leaders, Devin Townsend back in August I think it was. Had legit reasons for not going but Devy is S tier for me with AAL right up there as well. Legit depressing
Quite sure I posted this last year, but I was lucky enough to find one of the Ian Thornley Suhr Classic S's while visiting in Nashville. Immediately became my #1. Love the neck so much, I've preordered the signature Classic T as well.
20230713_171802.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Already got my ticket for the San Francisco Big Wreck show. They're a must-see when they come around. Thornley is inspiring.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
View attachment 495797View attachment 495798
3 coats of auto lacquer paint. Clear is next but it’s already looking good. Hanging in basement but I painted in the garage. The light is shit down there and I used flash but ill post some more pictures with clear coat outside.
So I fucked up....Flat sanded the clear to 800 grit and unfortunately like 3 spots I sanded through to the primer. So I sprayed 2 more light coats of color in just those areas, let this cure for a few days then sprayed more clear on top. But the new paint over the clear just winked up like an old whores pussy. So body is fucked now and needs to be re-sanded to 400 and resprayed with color then more clear. I think what happened was the 800 grit was too fine for the color to fully adhere to in those newly sprayed areas. So the clear basically fucked it all up. Anyway now I have to wait till spring since you cannot spray that shit when its below 50F. So all this shit now has to wait.

Good news is the neck is done, fucking looks like a piece of glass and you can see your reflection in it after the flat 800 grit sanding plus 2 more coats of clear on top. And thats before even buffing it out. So I guess thats good.

But yeah, the body is fucked for now. II mean its nothing that cannot be fixed and not really a problem some more sand paper cannot fix. Its all al learning experience on how to deal with these paints. Good news is this new sanding will even make it flatter for the next coats to go on so the final thing should be even smoother.

IMG_0197.jpeg
IMG_0196.jpeg

Last edited:

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I respect your effort so much. I built a guitar my senior year of high school and the body finish was the part I was most nervous about. Just did a simple matte black finish and 16 years later it still looks great. But glossing it up can fuck with the wood so much that I didn't even want to try.

This is the guitar I built and it's seriously one of my better guitars. Plays and sounds great all these years later.

20191004_031818.jpg

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
I’ve always been so self conscious about singing but tonight I said fuck it and went out and got drunk and played Mr Bogangles and Spanish pipedream at an open mic night. I fucked up alot of shit due to nerves but I had a blast.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Moebiwan

shitlord

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
new guitar

1000007219.jpg

Plays and sounds great. Can already see this becoming one of my preferred guitars.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

xKALECx

After a long wait, my Suhr Ian Thornley Classic T (Lumberjack) made it home!
1000004310.jpg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Gretsch 2655 JR fresh out of the package and didn't clean it up. I had first thought JR was a scaled down guitar but it's the same scale length and body length, the width of the body is little narrower. Adorama had it on sale before Christmas for $229. It came very well set up, the fret ends are well done, the string height and nut were right on and the intonation was dead on as well. It definetl needs better or locking tuners. Not bad for a guitar that was more than 50% off. The Tremelo version was a little more but I passed on it. Midnight saphire, another color was $10 cheaper. My cheapest guitar by far but it's easier to reach around and play and is very light, around 5 pounds give or take as a guess. Looks dirty but it's styrofoam bits.

2655-1.jpg

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
My wife picked up a fender ultra
0118241143.jpg

Shes been taking 2 years of lessons, 6months of privatae so far, started on a shitty guitar from ten years ago, then the squire a year ago, then i just said buy something nice, you play enough

but now it's kinda my job to do upkeep lulz, while she'll do the tuning every time she picks it up, now i gotta learn how to clean it and shit.

theres wax for this shit? ha

anyway it's easy enough for me to practice on the other guitars, and i think i might even scour ebay to and upgrade the squire w/ some better pickups and shit, (idk how to play shit btw, i'm just the guitar butler)

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to
My wife picked up a fender ultra
View attachment 509954

Shes been taking 2 years of lessons, 6months of privatae so far, started on a shitty guitar from ten years ago, then the squire a year ago, then i just said buy something nice, you play enough

but now it's kinda my job to do upkeep lulz, while she'll do the tuning every time she picks it up, now i gotta learn how to clean it and shit.

anyway it's easy enough for me to practice on the other guitars, and i think i might even scour ebay to and upgrade the squire w/ some better pickups and shit, (idk how to play shit btw, i'm just the guitar butler)

I've upgraded several squires and Mexican fenders, pickups can make a big difference but I would only bother it it's a good player overall. I usually also swap out bridge saddles and nut, sometimes tuning pegs if they're shit.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I used to be able to do all that shit but I haven't used a soldering gun in damn near 15 years at this point.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist

I use Murphy's Oil to clean my guitars. Works very well on fretboards.

Kalaar kururuc

Grumpy old man
I'm not sure it would be worth upgrading the pups in the squier. The ultra is already a higher end sss strat, so unless you were doing something different with the pups in the squier you'd just be making a shitter ultra.