The Official Guitar Thread

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
He overuses the medieval sound. I can't stand him. Obviously talented, but he's over the top.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
For some constructive criticism. Sometimes your playing sounds a little stiff, like your plucking at notes with not a whole lot of feeling behind it. The notes you pick sound good, but there were spots where you would let a certain note ring out but put no vibrato behind it so it just sounded a bit stale. Vibrato will give those notes some personality and a little more flavor and allow you to sound less stiff. Bends were fairly decent but there were a few that went flat/sharp of the intended note and sounded off. Additionally sometimes you'll have other notes ringing on occasionally when you're playing new notes and it can clash a bit.

This is all constructive criticism, so don't take it personally. We all started somewhere.

Otherwise you're sounding pretty good, keep it up.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
I still sometimes have to think a little too hard about what to play next, which is part of why it sounds stiff, and I'm still working on getting my vibrato better too. I tried it at a couple of points in there, but I guess you couldn't really hear it? It's one of the big things I'm working on improving right now.

I feel like I'm doing pretty well overall for someone who's been playing just over a year, though.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
You are playing well, and I didn't mean to come down on you or anything but I always found harsh criticism worked the best for my playing. I still have a terrible time with timing of all things, for instance, and I always get called out on it.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
No, it's all good. That's the sort of feedback I want. I meant to put a thanks in that prior post but I got distracted. So, thanks!

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
No, it's all good. That's the sort of feedback I want. I meant to put a thanks in that prior post but I got distracted. So, thanks!
Typical Gibson sound, congrats for your purchase ! What amp / preamp setup you're using ? Maybe (just an opinion there) it'd beneficiate more with treble mic setup, some of your chords tend to overrule with the bass line.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
I did that through Amplitube, it's just me over a backing track using one of their amp models. My actual amp is a Peavey Delta Blues that sounds really good, but I don't have a good way to mic it up yet.

Seventh

Golden Squire
Way to not even comment on my clip, you jerks.
Stop being a pussy and start shredding and I'll comment on them. 200BPM or GTFO.

biggrin.png

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I did that through Amplitube, it's just me over a backing track using one of their amp models. My actual amp is a Peavey Delta Blues that sounds really good, but I don't have a good way to mic it up yet.
It's funny because even though you're using a stock app, Gibson sound is still recognizable (dat sustain and grain). I'm more of a Fender person but would be funny to plug your guitar on some decent amp to see how it really shines. Back in the day when I played music I had a Japanese Fender Thinline Telecaster with them humbuckers and I always find bass mic setup quite good, almost like them Les Paul but not quite the sound grain wise. Fuck you, now I want to buy another guitar
frown.png

Duppin_sl

shitlord
Stop being a pussy and start shredding and I'll comment on them. 200BPM or GTFO.

biggrin.png
Sorry, I'm stopping at 199 BPM. Forever.

And yeah Bondurant, I need a proper recording setup at some point, but I'm waiting until I have stuff more worth recording.

I absolutely love this new guitar though. Getting down to one really solid guitar was absolutely the right choice.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Getting down to one really solid guitar was absolutely the right choice.
What most people don't get nowadays. Guitar quality is a major bottleneck. Whatever topline effects / preamps / DSPs you'll use, you'll never get "your" sound until you find the right guitar.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
For me, it was more about just getting focus away from tinkering with various weird guitars and onto just PLAYING. Even in the couple weeks that I've had this LP, I've noticed a difference.

Seventh

Golden Squire
What most people don't get nowadays. Guitar quality is a major bottleneck. Whatever topline effects / preamps / DSPs you'll use, you'll never get "your" sound until you find the right guitar.
To play devil's advocate, a shitty recording chain will make a great guitar sound like shit as well.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Anyone in here have any experience with the POD HD Pro? I'm looking for something to do some home recording with in an apartment and this thing has caught my eye. I know it's not the same as an Axe Fx, but I don't really feel like dropping that money at the moment - however I could probably swing the POD. Anyone used one? For metal?

Duppin_sl

shitlord
Get one and test it out for us.

I'd be interested in something like that for recording, since I don't really think I'm going to be very effects heavy once I play live. It'd be a toy for at home.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Well they're like $600-700, so I don't feel comfortable dropping that to review it for everyone else heh

Seventh

Golden Squire
Anyone in here have any experience with the POD HD Pro? I'm looking for something to do some home recording with in an apartment and this thing has caught my eye. I know it's not the same as an Axe Fx, but I don't really feel like dropping that money at the moment - however I could probably swing the POD. Anyone used one? For metal?
I had one for a while. For that price range, there's nothing out there that even comes close to it. It's a decent setup, extremely tweak-able, but it's achilles heel is that you can't upload your own cab impulses to it, and the stock impulses are absolutely fucking horrible. You can definitely get decent/passable metal tone out of it, but if you're planning to record with it your best bet is to disable the Pod's impulses and use an aftermarket impulse in the DAW.

It would be 100x better with good impulses, but as it is it really takes some noodling to get a solid metal rhythm tone out of it. I wouldn't go by Ola's video - he's a BEAST of a player and producer, and he can make anything sound good. I wrote kind of a dissertation on it when I had it - just ignore the Axe-Fx comparison.

Axe-Fx II vs Pod HD Pro: From Someone Who Has Owned Both (Long)

Short version: It's great for the ~$500 range and you can do a bunch of great shit with it, but to get the most out of it that unit really, really needs aftermarket cab impulses. This video is boring as fuck, but here's me wanking over a backing track with one of the lead models.

I have a pair of Axe-Fx IIs these days (I'm friends with the FAS guys, which helps) but all in all the HD Pro isn't bad at all. The only competition for it in that price range is the Eleven Rack, and IMO the Pod is a much better piece of gear.

Seventh

Golden Squire
Get one and test it out for us.

I'd be interested in something like that for recording, since I don't really think I'm going to be very effects heavy once I play live. It'd be a toy for at home.
I'd say it's right up your alley, since you don't go for the high gain stuff. It has shitloads of IO and a dedicated dry output, and is fairly simple to use. Plus, they tend to hold their resale value fairly well so if you end up hating it you'll be able to shift it onward for not much of a loss.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I had one for a while. For that price range, there's nothing out there that even comes close to it. It's a decent setup, extremely tweak-able, but it's achilles heel is that you can't upload your own cab impulses to it, and the stock impulses are absolutely fucking horrible. You can definitely get decent/passable metal tone out of it, but if you're planning to record with it your best bet is to disable the Pod's impulses and use an aftermarket impulse in the DAW.

It would be 100x better with good impulses, but as it is it really takes some noodling to get a solid metal rhythm tone out of it. I wouldn't go by Ola's video - he's a BEAST of a player and producer, and he can make anything sound good. I wrote kind of a dissertation on it when I had it - just ignore the Axe-Fx comparison.

Axe-Fx II vs Pod HD Pro: From Someone Who Has Owned Both (Long)

Short version: It's great for the ~$500 range and you can do a bunch of great shit with it, but to get the most out of it that unit really, really needs aftermarket cab impulses. This video is boring as fuck, but here's me wanking over a backing track with one of the lead models.

I have a pair of Axe-Fx IIs these days (I'm friends with the FAS guys, which helps) but all in all the HD Pro isn't bad at all. The only competition for it in that price range is the Eleven Rack, and IMO the Pod is a much better piece of gear.
Thanks, exactly the type of review I was looking for. I definitely wasn't going by Ola's video for exactly the reasons you said.. he did a 14 amp shootout and they all sounded amazing. I will read this over, thanks!