The Official Guitar Thread

Duppin_sl

shitlord
Yeah, I was looking at that. I wonder how usable it'd be on an iPhone though, since I don't have an iPad.

Also, you can't plug headphones into a metronome. Smartass!

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
It's still the best thing to practice with, but you could probably download a metronome app for your iphone

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I just picked up a guitar this week and a guitar book. Had a guy at work restring for me and I will be giving it a crack this week.

I will post pictures when I get home from work. I think I am going to enjoy this instrument a lot.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Good luck. One thing I'm really jealous of newcomers to guitar is the amount of tutorials and information you can find on Youtube. That shit wasn't around when I started.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Good luck. One thing I'm really jealous of newcomers to guitar is the amount of tutorials and information you can find on Youtube. That shit wasn't around when I started.
Yeah I am pretty excited about how much easier technology is going to make this journey. Didn't have that option growing up.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
What kind of guitar did you get? Justinguitar.com is a good place to start for the basics, and then you can branch out from there as you figure out what you want to play.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
What kind of guitar did you get? Justinguitar.com is a good place to start for the basics, and then you can branch out from there as you figure out what you want to play.
I want to say it was a Johnson? It was around $100 and has an adjustable truss rod, it isn't a bolt on neck though. It is glued. Unfortunate but for a cheapo learning one to ensure I care long enough to put the eforrt in I think it will work.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
After being in school for around 6 years I am finally playing again. I basically spent the last 6 years looking at it.. I had to sell off all my amps and guitars to pay for school (sold a 7 string to Seventh's friend for instance) and just never had time between engineering school and other stuff to play. I tuned it up the other day and played for a few hours before I even realized the time had passed. I was extremely rusty, but it was like riding a bike.

I still remember the first "hard" song I learned, and played it almost instantly. I was 13 and my dad was tired of me playing Bush or Green Day so he made me and my cousin listen to The Ozzman Cometh with him on the stereo. I was so entranced with Crazy Train that I spent the better part of 3 months (brand new to guitar) learning the song note for note. To this day I can still play it without even thinking about the notes I have to play. Randy Rhoads was the man:

Edit: By the way, you will notice I have almost the exact same guitar as Randy but my Les Paul has a maple fretboard.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
I want to say it was a Johnson? It was around $100 and has an adjustable truss rod, it isn't a bolt on neck though. It is glued. Unfortunate but for a cheapo learning one to ensure I care long enough to put the eforrt in I think it will work.
Well, I'll be honest with you. Johnsons are cheap pieces of junk. You'll outgrow it very fast if you end up liking guitar enough to stick with.

It's still a start though, and the important part is to stop talking about playing and actually play. Plus the folks in this thread will help you figure out what to move to when you get angry enough at shitty frets and warped bodies to throw it away and get a real guitar!

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Noodle, ebony fretboard > maple fretboard. Good on you for getting going again though.
I have had an ebony and didn't like it very much, could've been the guitar though.

The Les Paul was made in 1976 so I would not change a thing on it haha

Duppin_sl

shitlord
I dig how ebony feels, especially for bends. Maple feels...stickier? Part of that is the finish too though.

Mine's a 78, so you're two years better than me!

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I want to get a PRS Guitar SE Mark Tremonti in black if I like playing. As you can see I really want to be doing electric and not acoustic.

71K5cxrLKiL._SL1500_.jpg

Duppin_sl

shitlord
Well, if you want to play electric guitar, I would advise you to get one ASAP. Plink around a bit on the Johnson, learn a few chords, and then as long as you don't absolutely HATE playing, spend a little bit on a starter electric guitar and amp. An electric guitar is a better starting point in my opinion, and it'll feel quite a bit different as well as sounding different.

If you buy used and ask for advice here, we can get you pointed in the right direction. A PRS SE wouldn't be a terrible choice as a first electric if you can find one that you like, even though I'm not honestly super fond of them myself.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Well, if you want to play electric guitar, I would advise you to get one ASAP. Plink around a bit on the Johnson, learn a few chords, and then as long as you don't absolutely HATE playing, spend a little bit on a starter electric guitar and amp. An electric guitar is a better starting point in my opinion, and it'll feel quite a bit different as well as sounding different.

If you buy used and ask for advice here, we can get you pointed in the right direction. A PRS SE wouldn't be a terrible choice as a first electric if you can find one that you like, even though I'm not honestly super fond of them myself.
That is my plan, buying the one I linked if I don't hate it after a month.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Nothing wrong with starting acoustic and actually you'll build a fair amount more finger dexterity being forced to play on one. When you get an electric more than likely you'll feel as if your hand dwarfs the neck right away.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Nothing wrong with starting acoustic and actually you'll build a fair amount more finger dexterity being forced to play on one. When you get an electric more than likely you'll feel as if your hand dwarfs the neck right away.
I will take a picture of my hands, they are huge, I think it will work out.